What's your Favorite Theme?

Theme is one of the biggest influences to your magic in my opinion. It's how your audience sees your performance. Are you a creepy, dark mind-reader or a crazy happy comedian performer? I personally like to call my theme "The Art of Magic" because I try to have my spectators see magic as the wonderful art it is. Please respond with how you like to perform your magic. I'm interested to see the replies.

SteveF

Elite Member
Nov 3, 2010
Theme is one of the biggest influences to your magic in my opinion. It's how your audience sees your performance. Are you a creepy, dark mind-reader or a crazy happy comedian performer? I personally like to call my theme "The Art of Magic" because I try to have my spectators see magic as the wonderful art it is. Please respond with how you like to perform your magic. I'm interested to see the replies.

The best "theme" is being yourself. I don't understand how some people have one personality, and then when they get a deck of cards in their hand, they feel like they need to have a different personality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
The best "theme" is being yourself. Leave acting for people in theatre. I don't understand how some people have one personality, and then when they get a deck of cards in their hand, they feel like they need to have a different personality.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!

I would call you a liar, but it's not a lie if you actually believe it. First of all, you say that you're just being yourself. Well who the hell are you? And why should I care?

Second, magic is theater and you are an actor. To claim that you're not acting and just being yourself is a hollow sentiment and shows a lack of respect for the history and art of magic and mentalism.

Third, look up the writings of Erving Goffman. Who you are changes depending on social context. You ridicule the people who adopt a different personality when performing, but you are not the same person to your boss that you are to your father or your lover or your dog.

Fourth, I have a show coming up in April at the Pittsburgh Comicon. I will be dressed in costume and portraying a character of my own invention: Dr. Question Mark, Pittsburgh's most dedicated (and inebriated) psychic superhero. I will bet money right now that my made-up persona will come across as more entertaining to more people than you as you are right now.

SteveF

Elite Member
Nov 3, 2010
Steerpike,

My only point is that many young magicians use magic as their personality. Without a deck of cards in their hands, they are boring and have no personality. Creating a persona like you said, is different than acting fake when ever you perform. And it may or may not be true that your "made-up persona will come across as more entertaining to more people than mine as I am right now." It must make it easy to make this comment while hiding behind a forum name. Read this article: http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/01/21/pearlman.online.civility/index.html

I respect your opinion about being yourself, I mean isn't that the point of the forums? To get opinions? I think it's still a good idea though to have some kind of persona or some kind of theme to go with your magic. Houdini was the "escape artist", David Blaine is "street magic", and Criss Angel is "mindfreak". Most if not all great magicians have a theme to go with their performance and it gives their magic emotion and feeling. You can be yourself, but let your magic have some kind of theme to roll with, so your audience can really get attached.

Sep 1, 2007
Steerpike,

My only point is that many young magicians use magic as their personality. Without a deck of cards in their hands, they are boring and have no personality.

No, you said not to act and just to be yourself without making any attempt to actually describe what that entails.

Creating a persona like you said, is different than acting fake when ever you perform.

Your earlier post would seem to suggest otherwise. Were you really in that much of a rush to moralize that you forgot to inject any nuance into your post?

It must make it easy to make this comment while hiding behind a forum name. Read this article: http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/01/21/pearlman.online.civility/index.html

That's a laugh and a half. My website and my blog are both linked in my signature. You can check them out at any time. And even if I used to real name as my forum name, would that stop you from using this exact same argument? Pardon me if I'm skeptical of that.

Honestly, you're just coming across as echoing more store bought platitudes. I have my doubts that you've ever really studied acting and theater. All I'm hearing from you is the same faux-individualist crap I've heard a million times over from every wannabe and nevergonnabe. You want me to think differently of you? Then put some actual thought into your posts and stop giving me this tripe that wouldn't make the cut on an after-school special. Because this, "Leave acting to those in theater," nonsense ain't... gonna... cut it.

SteveF

Elite Member
Nov 3, 2010
Okay Steerpike, thank you. We all think you're a winner.

Anyway, back to the topic. ThePrestige, what you said makes sense. I would add that you should make sure your chosen theme fits your personality, not the other way around. If you have a really shy, quiet personality, then comedy magic might not be the best fit.

Sep 1, 2007
Okay Steerpike, thank you. We all think you're a winner.

Glad to hear you finally recognize my genius. A pleasure doing business with you.

Anyway, back to the topic. ThePrestige, what you said makes sense. I would add that you should make sure your chosen theme fits your personality, not the other way around. If you have a really shy, quiet personality, then comedy magic might not be the best fit.

That rather defeats the purpose of acting, no? Do you believe that Lawrence Olivier was anything like Zell the White Angel? Was Bela Lugosi as a person similar to Dracula? Or how about Bruno Ganz, the man who played Adolf Hitler in Downfall? Magicians are actors no matter which way you slice it. They should know something about the craft of acting.

SteveF

Elite Member
Nov 3, 2010
Steerpike,

What you've said about acting is true. In these posts, I am using the word "acting" to describe people who are creating a fake personality for only when they are performing magic. This is different than creating a persona like you have for your upcoming show. By fake personality I mean when someone uses their magic in place of a personality. An example of this would be someone who is the life of the party, but when you take the deck of cards out of their hands, they hide in the corner and is too shy to talk to anyone. Again, what you said about acting is true, but I would say that not all magicians are acting. You can be entertaining without acting.

Nov 8, 2010
Vernon B.C
good idea for a thread!

well, at the moment i cant claim i know much, because im still a noob, still in the practicing stages of magic, and thus haven't preformed, but i've been putting a lot of thought into this recently, and so thought i would share anyways.

i recently re-realised that my goal in life is to push people past their boundaries, make them think critically, and evaluate their belief systems. my best example of how i do that would be... well, ME! im a 6 foot 200lb black guy with dreadlocks, a whole bunch of piercings including a 3 inch tusk threw my nose, and a split tongue. my name is Ssnshyn (pronounced sunshine), and im a non-violent vegetarian, who doesnt smoke weed (contrary to popular belief). a super friendly, and once you know me VERY approachable. most people i meet will come up to me a day or 2 later, and, with embarrassment written all over their face, tell me about how afraid of me they were when they first met me.

i recently considered taking out my piercings as a lifestyle choice, to make my life easier when it come to preforming (juggling now, magic in the future), but then i realized NO. i dont WANT to be your everyday clean cut, presentable, funny magician (or juggler for that matter), i KNOW that people like me, and im going to work with that, because even if that makes my life a little harder than it has to be, and even tho it will be a little bit harder to gain a good rapport with certain audiences, they will leave with a lot more to think about.

not only will they be thinking HOW did he DO that, they might be thinking, wow, that guy was REALLY nice, i wonder why i was afraid of him, come to think of it, why am i afraid of that guy with the green mohawk that come into my work everyday, he never gave me any REAL reason to be afraid of him, maybe i will say hi next time.

and so, as im learning the routines and sleights im working on, im trying to think of ways to meld this train of thought into it. you know, "BAM, i just changed this 8 of clubs into YOUR singed card, the 2 of hearts, hahaha, well, ok, nvm, appearances arent everything you know, see, if actually let you FEEL this 2 of hearts..... you feel how cold that card is, thats because its NOT actually your card, red is a much WARMER colour than this, BAM, see, it was the 8 of clubs all along, you cant trust everything you see, always think about other possibilities. and NO, i didnt just switch cards, that would have been impossible, because as you can see, your signed card is STILL in the middle of the deck....is ACTUALLY in my pocket. (if not signed): is ACTUALLY in that NOT so empty card box you've been holding the whole time, ect, ect....

so yeah, my point is, dont just want to distract people, i want to give them the opportunity to think!

(i dont want my magic to be and action movie, i dont want it to be a comedy movie, i want it to be a documentary, like zeitgeist)

p.s. for those of you in the dark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9WVZddH9w

Magicians are actors no matter which way you slice it. They should know something about the craft of acting.

i've been thinking about his alot recently, (as well as dancing class's to help my juggling). do you have any advice on ways to go about getting general acting lessons OTHER than paying a bunch of money to go to an acting school or something.
i guess maybe just joining a local theatre troupe or something?

Sep 1, 2007
but I would say that not all magicians are acting.

And I would deny that because we cannot read minds or make things vanish or change the value of paper money. You must act in order to facilitate the suspension of disbelief. While I don't deny that magic should not be a substitution for personality, your statement of "leaving acting to those in theater" is so grossly inaccurate that it just blows my mind.

i've been thinking about his alot recently, (as well as dancing class's to help my juggling). do you have any advice on ways to go about getting general acting lessons OTHER than paying a bunch of money to go to an acting school or something.
i guess maybe just joining a local theatre troupe or something?

Go to your local library and find books on acting. Learn the concepts of emotional and sense memory. Get together with a friend and try some exercises like having a conversation where you have to disagree with each other. Remember the Monty Python argument clinic sketch? Like that, only less hyperbolic.

Obviously, you'll need experience to draw upon. To play Dr. Question Mark, I had to down some real hard booze so that I would have emotional and sense memories to recreate the image of a person who's slightly tipsy almost all the time. In my case this meant 5 margaritas over the course of an evening at a party and putting down a Blue Moon draft and a Long Island iced tea at a Jonathon Coulton concert. Granted, that kind of preparation for a role is pretty fun, but it's not always going to be like that. When I take shots from a hip flask during the show (filled with water, naturally) I have to remember what rum or scotch tastes like so that I can properly mimic the face you would make when drinking the stuff.

Nov 8, 2010
Vernon B.C
Learn the concepts of emotional and sense memory.

i may just have to do that, thanks!

To play Dr. Question Mark, I had to down some real hard booze so that I would have emotional and sense memories to recreate the image of a person who's slightly tipsy almost all the time.

hmmm, just a random thought, did you video tape some of that? seems to me that that could help alot. you know, to help see yourself in that state from an outside perspective.

anyways, like i said, just a thought, your the professional.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results