What's your opinion on Daniel Madison?

Oct 5, 2015
Hi all,
this is my very first post on theory 11 Forum, I would like to know what's your opinion on written books by Daniel Madison. Hi effect are very attractive and some of sleight are amazing. I have some books to complete my study on card magic, I'm not new to magic, I started with Card college, almost completed first two books, I have Revolutionary card technique by Ed Marlo and I found this book excelent, and of course my "bible" Expert Card Technique. In these days I bought "Steranko on cards" but I did'nt receive so foa from ebay seller, in any case a lot of material, and I have same sleight or routine described in differet ways, and this give me compelte vision of card sleight I'm studying. Wha t I see in Madison video is quite new, different from "ordinary" sleight but before "waste" my money with "anthology 2015" (i.e) I would know if someone has his book and what think about that.

Grazie
Francesco

Feb 23, 2014
I'm a big fan of Daniel Madison. He has very impressive skill, creativity, and I've gotten huge value out of many of his effects. To answer your question directly: it depends on what you're interested in learning. If you're looking to learn card sleights from the most experienced instructor, then I'd absolutely suggest starting with Jason England's publications at theory11. England has decades of knowledge on everything he teaches, and his insight has helped me advance much further, much faster in card technique.

If you're looking to learn card magic routines, then there are a wealth of books and sources on the subject. Jason England's videos at theory11 are mostly focused on card sleights, NOT card tricks. But, definitely check out his suggested list of WHAT TO READ here - it's free:

https://store.theory11.com/products/what-to-read-jason-england

Reactions: FrancescoP1
Oct 5, 2015
I'm a big fan of Daniel Madison. He has very impressive skill, creativity, and I've gotten huge value out of many of his effects. To answer your question directly: it depends on what you're interested in learning. If you're looking to learn card sleights from the most experienced instructor, then I'd absolutely suggest starting with Jason England's publications at theory11. England has decades of knowledge on everything he teaches, and his insight has helped me advance much further, much faster in card technique.

If you're looking to learn card magic routines, then there are a wealth of books and sources on the subject. Jason England's videos at theory11 are mostly focused on card sleights, NOT card tricks. But, definitely check out his suggested list of WHAT TO READ here - it's free:

https://store.theory11.com/products/what-to-read-jason-england

Thenk you for your reply, I don't find useful only sleight study, in example in Card College or Ed Marlo book, there are always sleight explainations and trick to use it. In my opinion the fully understanding of sleight come from use of it in practical manner. This is the reason why I found, sometimes, Experd card technique, frustrating. Too much chapters with sleights and trick only at the end of the book.

Thanks for suggestion on Engalnd, I have two videos: pinky brack and the one on double lift.

They are perfect to complete description of pinky count on Giobbi chapter, and double lift in Expert card Technique.

Grazie
Francesco

Apr 26, 2013
Italy
Hi there,

I don't have the new version of DM's book but I did purchase most of his previous releases as they got out back in the days.
I found loads of good tricks in many of them.

I wouldn't consider every single trick of his great, but some effects I'd definitely call gems (burn and angle zero above all) and Anthology could definitely qualify as great value for money.

In terms of sleights I'd say I don't really love his approach, as I find some of his technical choices a bit impractical and unnecessary (just my two cents here). But then again, if you were looking for precise and thorough teaching in this, you should definitely go for Jason England's stuff and having read the books you mentioned you might as well find your own approach to Madison's creative plots.

Take care

Reactions: FrancescoP1

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I have the version of Anthology that immediately precedes the current one. I like his ideas but his tricks and sleights are not very practical in my view. His ideas are fine but I wouldn't "waste" my money as you said. I used to own his DVD mechanic as well. He really lacks in background knowledge in magic. He's creative but I really don't see him as an expert like Jason England, Marlo or even some one like Jay Sankey or Greg Wilson. I would avoid the book personally.

That said I do use Angle Z, I do a card to ballpoint pen, like he mentions in his book and I do like the kicker in his version of Shuffle Board. The ideas are fine but his methods and presentations are lack luster in my view.

Reactions: ChrisWiens
Sep 23, 2015
I dont have that book but I have a lot other stuff from D.M and its great... Common thing about his products are most stuff is related to gambling and is really really unique and might not suite everyone.(For example his palm- Gamblers Cop) and I prefer other variations of the tricks he performs.
But still love his stuff!!

Apr 27, 2015
Hi all,
this is my very first post on theory 11 Forum, I would like to know what's your opinion on written books by Daniel Madison. Hi effect are very attractive and some of sleight are amazing. I have some books to complete my study on card magic, I'm not new to magic, I started with Card college, almost completed first two books, I have Revolutionary card technique by Ed Marlo and I found this book excelent, and of course my "bible" Expert Card Technique. In these days I bought "Steranko on cards" but I did'nt receive so foa from ebay seller, in any case a lot of material, and I have same sleight or routine described in differet ways, and this give me compelte vision of card sleight I'm studying. Wha t I see in Madison video is quite new, different from "ordinary" sleight but before "waste" my money with "anthology 2015" (i.e) I would know if someone has his book and what think about that.

Grazie
Francesco

Hey man! Welcome to the forums :)

Daniel Madison has been very popular lately, his image and 'badass' attitude appeals to a lot of younger magicians. I have mixed opinions on the performer. Whilst, for cheating at cards, I would prefer Jason England's 'Foundations' over Madisons' 'Mechanic' there are some things in the latter which I do use. He teaches a different, less natural, approach in my opinion. I also don't believe the story of him being caught as a crooked gambler at 18. The stories have change a thousand times and no one is there to prove witness. And I am certain his false dealing techniques would not fly in game with seasoned players.

However, having said that, 'Moves' has some great things for 'youtube' magic and his 'Anthology' book (I recently updated to the newest and final version) is brilliant. The quality may not be great, and it's not all gold. But there is lots in there I constantly use. It was his trick 'burn' that got me my contracts.

I would learn from him, but, take his methods with a pinch of salt.

Best.

Reactions: ChrisWiens
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results