When Are You a "Certified Magician"?

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Hey guys, my friend asked me this question in school today and I thought it was really interesting. We all know that the majority of people know maybe 1 magic trick, but they're not magicians. So my question is:

WHEN ARE YOU CONSIDERED A LEGIT MAGICIAN?

Does it have something to do with the number of tricks you know, your level of experience, or anything else? I want to know what you guys think.

Sep 9, 2010
I think you're a legitimate magician when someone can ask you to show them something at a moments notice, and you're ready, and you have astounded them. When you are always ready, not because you're on youtube revealing magic tricks, but because you're out there entertaining real people.

Jun 1, 2009
It's about having a reputation as a magician. Like IllusionistCasen said, you're able to entertain and wow someone as soon as they ask you to. I would say having a solid arsenal of effects, knowledge of performing (in the theatrical sense) and you are actually out there doing magic for people in the real world are all key elements in being considered a legit magician.

Jacob

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
if you have to ask, your not. A "Certified Magician" is someone that has gotten to the point where they no longer care about titles or anything silly like that and cares about the magic.

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
When you can pull a rabbit out of your hat. Btw... does anyone actually do this trick?

I had a rabbit...it died of heatstroke. Lol but I remember a magician in elementary school pulling a rabbit out of his hat.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
You are a legit magician, in my opinion, when you put in entertainment value first, and then the effect. Anyone can can learn sleight of hand and show off to their friends by doing a couple of tricks, but it takes someone special to go the extra mile and entertain them while performing. Being an actual person with a personality who also does magic, is better than the kid who does magic but has no personality. After that, you are a real magician.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I like what Jacob said. Perhaps it's more when others start referring to you as a magician. I remember when I was introduced to someone as a magician. It was before I ever called myself one, but it was then I realized that's what I was.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I'd say it's when you start doing magic. The difference between a person that knows one trick and a magician is that one is 'tricking' you and one is showing you 'magic'. if that person that could only do one trick had nailed presentation, had nailed patter, had nailed showmanship, then he would be a magician, regardless of how many tricks he could/couldn't do.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results