When are you done with a deck of cards?

Oct 14, 2009
How long do you keep a deck of cards until you open up a new one? Also, what is your reasoning for doing so? For example, I REALLY hate clumping because I do lots of sleights and flourishes, plus I'm always holding a deck of cards (not always, but you get the picture). I did though, meet someone who had been using the same deck for 4 months; the deck was in terrible condition but he said that if he could do sleights with a crappy deck, then he could do them easily with a good deck. So these are just two completely different points of views, but what do you think?

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
It's very nice to have a fresh deck of cards. I do practice at times with older decks but I don't take them out. Reason being is because I wan't everything to be CLEAN when I perform. I don't want to perform for people and have a bad conditioned deck.

It's better to practice with a deck in the same condition that you would perform in. A strike double is gonna feel a lot different if a deck is in a new condition rather than an old one.

I mean...you could perform with a clumpy crapped up deck but why in the world would anyone do that?

I keep mine for about a month or so if I do some rigorous practicing. Maybe even more. I may just keep an old deck for dupes or if I need to do a torn and restored effect.

Speak of the devil I need to invest in a card clip

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I open decks more frequently than I wear them out. I typically break a deck in and about the time they're broken in I'll open a new one and use both until they're getting dirty/clumping up.

Right now I have 2 decks of Bicycle Ribbon Editions and a Blue Backed Rider deck open and in usable condition (fairly new, handle smooth).

I don't pay attention to how long they last on average, some decks last longer because I don't always have a deck on me, and some weeks I'll carry one every day and wear them out faster.

And being able to do sleights with a poorly conditioned deck might actually hurt someone if they opened a new deck and attempted them (slick, hard to manage).

I have some cards that are clumpy and old, I typically practice Torn with them. I also use them for throwing practice, doesn't matter if they get dented and mangled.

I'll usually have a couple decks at home that are open for practice. They're usually some cheap Costco Bikes because I'll go through one of them in a week. Especially since I've been practicing some flourishes that really mess with your deck: Lepaul Spread, Pressure Fan, and the Hot Shot Cut.

It's kinda hard for me to tell you how long my decks last. I have about 20 decks open from E right now: Arcanes, Black tigers with Red Pips, Original Black Tigers, Shadow Masters, Vipers, etc. The only thing I could tell you is that I now have 26/30 decks left.

The Ellusionist stock that they use for their decks is very good. It's about 3/4 cards thicker which gives it a more solid feel. It gets rid of bends and crimps pretty well, and it lasts at least 3 times as long for me.

Mehar

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2010
I'll usually have a couple decks at home that are open for practice. They're usually some cheap Costco Bikes because I'll go through one of them in a week. Especially since I've been practicing some flourishes that really mess with your deck: Lepaul Spread, Pressure Fan, and the Hot Shot Cut.

It's kinda hard for me to tell you how long my decks last. I have about 20 decks open from E right now: Arcanes, Black tigers with Red Pips, Original Black Tigers, Shadow Masters, Vipers, etc. The only thing I could tell you is that I now have 26/30 decks left.

The Ellusionist decks used to have a UV500 finish on them which was, in my opinion, the best finish. It had a 3/4 card thicker difference when compared to regular decks. This made the decks last much longer. The decks that I have all have UV500 finish still. They only recently stopped having it on all their decks except for the regular Masters and another deck. ANYWAY, if you want to know more about the finishes, there are a gazillion threads on it.

Mehar

UV500 is the EXACT SAME FINISH as Air-cushion. E and USPC have confirmed UV500 air-flow finish and air-cushion finish only have one difference - that the UV500 decks have black light sensitivity and glow under a black light whereas air-cushion does not. So do linoid, cambric, and linen finishes. They're all the same. Plastic coated and plastic cards obviously feel differently, but most finishes are really 1 of 2-3 different ones.

Apr 1, 2009
California
Decks go through several phases. I don't care so much for the slippery new feel to decks. When I first open a deck, I break it in for a good amount of time. and just continue practicing. Then a point comes where the oils start to spread and it gets a little clumpy. so, I continue practicing until the oils spread through the deck evenly and then the deck is in what I consider it's sweet spot. This lasts (for me) several weeks. Then it becomes a dupe deck or torn and restored. or a deck I use for more demanding moves. Fresh decks are important for French Kiss though, for instance.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results