When to approach?

The best time (I think) to approach somebody is when they're maybe out side on a stroll (stroll? haha), or doing yardwork or something. I walk around in my neighborhood and perform for people who are washing their car, or walking their dog, or whatever. It is hard at first, but you get used to it.

you can always tell if someone is on a mission. so look at there face and how fast they are walking, look for people who look like they want to be entertained. don't interupt what people are doing.

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
Dude, it is the same as approaching women, u see a group that is out there having fun, approach, no but's. if they say no, its fine, next. rapid fire mode is the best way to practise.

Everyone that says "perhaps i should wait for the correct audience" is bull, it is just a number's game, about half of the people will always say yes if u go up and crack a smile and be friendly, u got nothing to lose anywayz. remember this, YOU are doing them a favor in showing them something cool and something that they will remember the same day next year. if they say no it is their lost, and hej, proper dressing helps !!

Personally i rarely get people to say NO when i ask if they want to see some magic, that simply comes from experiance i guess, so here are some pointers:

NOTE: this is basic human communication skills, more social activity instead of sitting in front of the PC !!! (i believe david stone's DVD teaches alot of this)

#1, with a group of people, know how to find the key person, that is the person where everyone is paying more attention to, and listen more to, it is important to notice that person especially in a restaurant or bar situation, once u find the person, approach and get the aknowledgement from that person, and the rest of the group will always agree.

#2, when people are in a deep conversation or doing some stuff, best way is to walk up, stand next to them, wait for them to aknowledge your presence, then proceed with the introduction. it is very rude to interrupt people especially when u are a stranger.

#3, keep the introduction short and to the point, as u really dont want to waste time on people that doesnt want to see your magic. i do advice against starting out the introduction with any production effect of the sort as if they gonna say no to your performance, they will still most likely say no after what ever u did, and if they do say yes, it will just be bunch bad audience anyway.

#4, when family is walking around, track the attention of the kids, no parent say no when their kids is loving it, and hej, it is significantly easier to entertain kids not because they are less smart, just they have a more positive and curious attitude towards life really. we should all be kids more often if u ask me.

#5, this is i believe the most important thing that u will need to know, u CARE TOO MUCH of what other people think of you !!, stop that, "I could approach that group of people BUT they might be talkign something more important, BUT they might be going somewhere, BUT they might be blabla, WHAT IF they are blabla, seriously, WHAT DOES IT MATTER?? just go up and ask.

hopefully those helps.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
This is what I do in Japan.

If I am in a bar scene... I have two basic ways of getting an audience formed.

1: I am already with some friends, showing them some tricks, and nearbye laymen catch eye of what is happening, maybe the end of some trick and then generally scream in an extremely loud and high pitched voice (the men too). This is my audible queue to say "hey, would you like to see some magic too ?" (In cute little heavily americanized accented Japanese (on purpose though, the way Cyril does it) cuz it draws more attention and credibility to my Myseriousness).

2: If there is a fun loving crowd drinking the night away and I notice them not being against meeting random people, I walk up and just say, "hey would you like to see something awesome and magical?" (again in Japanese). 99% of the time, they all enthusiastically say YES YES... I then proceed to take off my shirt. After about 20 minutes of solid OOOHHH and AHHHH ing, as I swipe girls' hands away from my chest, I then go into a Force routine followed by ACR to wallet, paperclipped, girl's back pocket, girl's bra, ya know... whatever works the best =).

On the streets of Tokyo (not in a bar), approaching people to do magic is simple. EVERYONE strolling the shopping districts of Tokyo have nothing better to do then to just slowly walk up and down the street discussing for hours what to eat, and how cold it is (even though they are purposely wearing mini skirts in December). Thus, going up to a group of them confidently (Confidently is the key, if you look nervous, you still might impress them, but you wont BLOW THEM away.) and asking them straight "would you like to see some magic today?" is quite easy.

Confidence is they key my friend, and of course the experienece of knowing who is ready and who is not ready to see some magic. Study humans in my opinion, learn to people watch. You must do this subconsciously as you perform anyway, i.g. when to do the sleight, when not to do "that trick," etc... Through this you will know who is ready and who is not ready to be disturbed, interrupted, entertained, etc... 95.673 % of the time.

Cheers- From Tokyo.

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
ah yes a recap on one of the point tokyoUW mentioned, when u realize a group is difficult to approach from experiance or what ever, just approach a group next to them or perform to your friends as that is easier, draw the attention, and they will be dying to wait for you to approach them.

Mentioning confidence, it is something u dont have when u start, but everytime u overcome your anxiety, u gain confidence, so now stop reading and go out and have fun.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results