When To Open A New Deck

Apr 20, 2014
This may sound like a stupid question, but when should I consider cracking open a new deck? At what point do you guys consider a deck unsable or prefer to open a new one? I have many sealed decks because i find the ones i have open usually begin to work a bit better once i leave them for about a week, and I have a large enough collection thati can rotate through even my most used decks and then leave them sitting for long enough to fan nicely next time I pull them out.I know it probably is alot to do with preference, but at what point do you guys usually consider it time to open a new deck.

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
Generally I use a good deck of cards for a few months until it becomes starts wearing out because I don't want it to look like a "family poker night" deck of cards. At that point, it becomes my practice deck or a deck for duplicates and making gimmicks.

Nov 20, 2013
I switch out decks whenever it really is unusable or it doesn't have enough cards to pass as a full deck. When I say "pass" I want the spectator to believe it's a full deck. About 45 cards or less is where I draw the line. Even if the deck isn't full, I use it until it's not believable anymore.

When I was working in restaurants I might switch the deck every night.

Right now my deck is definitely pretty crappy looking. But as long as it works, and I can manipulate the deck with a light touch.. I keep it in play. After it becomes unusable I use the cards as bookmarks. (I read a lot of books.)

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Honestly. I have 5 open decks as we speak. I do one handed Cardistry and frequently have both hands working a deck. In order to keep all the decks relatively even with wear, I'm constantly rotating them in and out of use.

I'd imagine it's a bit more different if you're only using one deck at a time, in which case I'd say that having 3 open decks in constant rotation would be my max

Dec 11, 2013
Bulgaria
I do open a deck every 10 days. I practice my cardistry moves, sleight of hand moves and i perform with it. It lasts me 10 days because its non-stop in my hands. After that i use it for gimmicks because i love these type of effects that leave the spectator with souvenir.(usualy i make regeneration and earbuds). Of course i use tally-ho only. The other decks i have in my collection are just for videos.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results