Where are the audiences?

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
I just got Crunk, the 1-on-1 from Daniel Madison. This is the first I've bought from him. I've always shied away from him, because it seemed like his emphasis was on flourishing. (Dangerous addresses that myth of mine quite nicely, so douse your flames for now.) But that effect combines magic and flourishing in a nice little package. It will fit great in a routine of sandwich effects that I have.

But it got me thinking about a lot of other flourishing videos that I see on T11, The Cuso, Decknique and other sites. They have blisteringly wonderful flourishes, developed by creative artists. But to me, it seems like something is missing: The audience.

It seems like to be at the forefront of cardistry today, you also have to be a videographer or director. You have to practice Final Cut as much as Sybils. True, flourishing is all about the cards. You have practiced hard; you don't want to waste video time on an audience member's gaping stare.

But surely audiences wouldn't simply stare at your art, would they? I'm betting they would cheer, applaud or maybe say "Damn..." softly, appreciatively. I wish I could see some of those audience reactions to your art. Are we the only ones who would appreciate the Werm or a double fan?

Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed many of your videos, been impressed by quite a few and inspired by a handful. I don't think any of y'all are doing anything wrong. I'm just wondering if the lack of an audience is an artistic choice that benefits the art of cardistry.

p.s. to J. Bayme: How's this for an SNC idea: Best cardistry performance in front of an audience?

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
I think you bring up a good point, but there is one thing that you are forgetting about. The videos that you see of people performing cardistry usually aren't in front of audiences because the camera would have trouble finding a good way to focus the attention properly. Magic is different because it involves so many different things: talking, showing, asking questions, interactivity, etc. The camera and work well with these, but cardistry is purely for people to watch, so would the camera film people's faces as they are watching some flourishes? You catch my drift?

On another note, you are right about the whole video production thing, and it is interesting to wonder if only we appreciate the werm. Obivously anyone can appreciate that, but I think us 'cardists' are far more obsessed with it ;)

That would be an interesting SNC idea by the way, but it might flop because of the things I was talking about before.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
You guys are in for a BIG surprise.

Let's say the audience was over 800 people, nearing a thousand with Criss Angel and other major heads of a corporation. It's Cardistry like never been done before and that is my goal, to elevate Cardistry to a level of entertainment like gymnastics has. I have no clue how long it will take for them to make a montage of the show (not just myself including) but when they do, I will definately post it!

(I have my own edited video of it but I'm still waiting for possibilities of making it better with other footage).

Coming soon!

-Andrei Jikh

Jan 31, 2008
You guys are in for a BIG surprise.

Let's say the audience was over 800 people, nearing a thousand with Criss Angel and other major heads of a corporation. It's Cardistry like never been done before and that is my goal, to elevate Cardistry to a level of entertainment like gymnastics has. I have no clue how long it will take for them to make a montage of the show (not just myself including) but when they do, I will definately post it!

(I have my own edited video of it but I'm still waiting for possibilities of making it better with other footage).

Coming soon!

-Andrei Jikh

DAMN! That's ****ing tiight Andrei! I'm really looking forward to seeing this! And are you serious Criss Angel was there? And uh, shouldn't you bug t11 to give you a custom title? lol, like t11 artist or something :p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results