Where can I learn some Psychological forces?

trickstr

Banned
May 9, 2014
canada
Hey everyone,
Where can I learn some Psychological forces. I am talking about forcing certain color,time,number,card or name.Learning some Psychological forces can definitely improve some of my tricks.I want to know how people like Dynamo Or David Blaine read certain personal information from people instantly, like making people think of certain friends or movies name.PLEASE RECOMMEND SOME DVDs OR VIDEOS.

Dec 5, 2013
Boston
I'm not an expert in the least but they definitely use a lot of NLP. Also what you see on TV is very edited. A lot of the NLP and "psychological forces" are edited out of the final cut so it is not quite as instant as it appears.
-Isaac
PS sorry for not actually answering your question :)

Sep 2, 2007
London
I'm not an expert in the least but they definitely use a lot of NLP. Also what you see on TV is very edited. A lot of the NLP and "psychological forces" are edited out of the final cut so it is not quite as instant as it appears.
-Isaac
PS sorry for not actually answering your question :)

I'm afraid this isn't really true, Isaac, apart from the fact that things aren't quite as instant as they appear on TV. Just as a matter of my own interest, though, I'd love to know why you think that NLP is involved. So Isaac, where did you get this information from? Did you read it somewhere, did someone else tell you, or did you intuit it yourself from watching the performances? I'm very interested in studying the perception of magic performances, and the beliefs audiences are willing to buy into, so I'd love to know your answer to this question. Feel free to PM me so we don't hijack this thread.

To answer the OP, the modern-classic work on psychological forces is Banachek's Psychological Subtleties. I can almost guarantee, however, that you'll be incredibly disappointed with it to begin with. It doesn't teach you how to make your audience think of anything you want, but how to understand the psychological tendencies most people have when making certain types of choice and to nudge them in the direction you want. To achieve the type of effects you describe, start with basic mentalism techniques, specifically billet work. Learn one good billet peek and, there you go, instant mind reader. Or mind influencer, depending on how you present it. Because that's the main thing. Pick up any book on mentalism and you'll find many different methods of acquiring information. The challenge is then to present it in such a way that the method becomes invisible and all your audience see and remember is someone with a true gift, skill or power.

So, to get an overview of what you're getting yourself into with mentalism, pick up Tony Corinda's Thirteen Steps to Mentalism and Theodore Annemann's Practical Mental Effects. For ideas on forcing, the classic is Annemann's 202 Methods of Forcing. There are some really nice works specifically on billets if you do decide you want to go down that route, as well. Allen Zingg has a DVD set called Master Billet Course which should keep you going for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 5, 2013
Boston
I'm afraid this isn't really true, Isaac, apart from the fact that things aren't quite as instant as they appear on TV. Just as a matter of my own interest, though, I'd love to know why you think that NLP is involved. So Isaac, where did you get this information from? Did you read it somewhere, did someone else tell you, or did you intuit it yourself from watching the performances? I'm very interested in studying the perception of magic performances, and the beliefs audiences are willing to buy into, so I'd love to know your answer to this question. Feel free to PM me so we don't hijack this thread.

Hello,
Thanks for the response as I am curious also. The reason is said I thought they were using NLP was because that was what I had seen other people say on forums. That was really the only source for my comment. I shouldn't said "they definitely use" and instead said "there is possibly perhaps maybe a chance" :) Thank you for correcting me and suppling a real answer as you seem to have legitimate knowledge in this subjects.
-Isaac

trickstr

Banned
May 9, 2014
canada
Thanks Tee Dee.
But how did Blaine made Emmy Rossum think of a certain friends name and he also made another woman think of a certain color in REAL OR MAGIC tv special. In Dynamo's tv series we can see similar tricks were he make people think of certain time or person. If you seen Dynamo performing for Oscar pistorius where he does a classic clock force routine but he also forces certain card for right time how could he do that.
ALSO,I have heard "Peter Turner's Jinxed and Free Form mentalism" have some good commercial mentalism. Can anyone give a brief Review.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Thanks Tee Dee.
But how did Blaine made Emmy Rossum think of a certain friends name and he also made another woman think of a certain color in REAL OR MAGIC tv special. In Dynamo's tv series we can see similar tricks were he make people think of certain time or person. If you seen Dynamo performing for Oscar pistorius where he does a classic clock force routine but he also forces certain card for right time how could he do that.
ALSO,I have heard "Peter Turner's Jinxed and Free Form mentalism" have some good commercial mentalism. Can anyone give a brief Review.

There's no "making someone think of a name" but rather our ability to work out which COMMON NAME (in most cases) they would be thinking of. I would be pointing you to Peter Turner's material in Bigger Fish II when it comes to this and Isabella Star when it comes to his Birth Date reveal in that they are the two most common methods in use, currently.

But let's consider something else first here, trickstr. . . why do you want to do these things?

I'm betting it's ego and "how cool I'll be if I could do this" vs. how cool it would be if you simply did your own material rather than trying to be Derren Brown, Dynamo, David Blaine, etc.

If you study your Corinda and Annemann books, you'll find methods for naming a thought of name without all the semantics and psychological deception that is involved with the Turner technique. No, it's not as "clean" and Yes, it requires that you rely on some yesteryear skills and tools but here's the bottom line; as far as the patron and other observers are concerned, you still doing the same effect -- you're still naming an unspoken name or date.

I'm a big one to push multiple methods so that you can, if need be, repeat the same basic effect 3+ times in a row and when it comes to naming a thought of name if you study just your Corrinda, you'll have at least 3 primary methods at the ready, potentially more; learn those methods first (and don't ask me what they are, read the bloody book and stop looking for an easy & quick fix -- STUDY your craft!)

BTW. . . JINXED is simply a review of material found in the Annemann book and the Jinx magazine; it's excellent for the novice. Free Form Mentalism is, in my opinion, something you're not ready for in that you seemingly don't know how to use what you already have access to and should have a solid working knowledge of. It is brilliant thinking (of course) and it is empowering but as I've noted above, you need to have alternative methods and in this case we're talking about methods you should already have firmly tucked under your belt for accomplishing the very same effect i.e. billets, imp systems, pencil reading, etc.

Jul 30, 2013
Hey everyone,
Where can I learn some Psychological forces. I am talking about forcing certain color,time,number,card or name.Learning some Psychological forces can definitely improve some of my tricks.I want to know how people like Dynamo Or David Blaine read certain personal information from people instantly, like making people think of certain friends or movies name.PLEASE RECOMMEND SOME DVDs OR VIDEOS.

Blaine actually did not use any psychological forcing he instead used some sort of peek and what is referred to as preshow witch was cut out of the final edit. If preshow makes it seem as if nothing was written down when there actually was. That's why you can never trust TV. There is great use for peaks and preshow even without TV. To learn more i recommend Peter turner's penguin lecture and also Luke jeremay's book 3510. If you have any other questions just ask, but you should probably learn some more basic pro singles before jumping into something too deep so you should check out 13 steps to mentalism and practicle mental magic. Also for my favorite ways of abstaining info check out psypher by Robert smith and sneer peak by spidey.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Thanks Tee Dee.

For starters the Name reveal is a Peter Turner effect but can also be achieved in several other ways. Most of the people you list here use Peter, Colin McCleod and a few others of note as regular consultants so that's how they learn to do these things in cleaner, more direct approaches. The bones however are still found in Annemann, Corinda and the collective works of Dunninger, Hull, Koran, Nelson and a handful of others. Learn the foundations and you learn how to deliver the same exact effects you're clamouring over. . . not so much the same techniques that are being used, but the same effects are quite possible.

Understand, when you watch these guys on TV or the net you are not seeing a complete performance but rather, the edited final product e.g. you've not seen everything that goes into a routine. Then again, in a live show you don't see it all either, there is pre-show work, which is one of the most valued methods relied upon by a solid mentalist (and fortunately, most newbies fear and so we are allowed the greater advantage as working pros). Another fear or two held by newcomers to mentalism is billet work, muscle reading, and just listening and going with their gut. . . true intuition.

Mentalism IS NOT the same as magic and if that's how you view it -- as tricks -- you'll never be able to pull it off in a convincing manner. . . it will always come off as a trick unless you invest yourself into it and present it with belief and conviction while invoking belief from your patrons. Dynamo IS NOT a "Mentalist" he's a second rate magician that's promoted himself mercilessly and managed to carve out a niche for himself; this can be said about most of the better known public personalities out there. They gain benefit from learning things from consultants and trusted team members which allows them to go out and show off, for lack of a better term.

JINXED has known some mixed reviews but if you understand that the content offers Peter's spin on certain routines popularized by Annemann in the JINX Magazine then it's easier to digest. Personally I think you'll get more out of Free Form but that's just my own penchant talking; I prefer such material.

Go back to the basics if you want to honestly learn how to be a Mentalist. Stay away from trends and hot new things. Learn to see beyond what's being presented.

The Best investments I personally think every newbie needs to make are the Switchcraft papers and the Bob Cassidy Fundamentals followed by Paul Brook's Alchemical Tools and studies in Cold Reading (Lee Earle's Gentle Art of Cold Reading and Cassidy's The Real Work of Cold Reading followed by Richard Webster's PSYCHOMETRY FROM A-Z). . . this collection will take you further, faster than all the top ten things on the current market.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results