Where did you learn your magic?

May 7, 2009
I feel this is a question that i am faced with on a daily basis. I dont know whether to give them the truth by saying books and dvds, say lots of practice, or somethinng else. Any ideas? what would you say in the situation

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Usually I say that I learned it from another magician. If it's an original trick (even though there aren't many) I'll say I made it myself. But I mostly tell them I learned from another magician and it's true. :)

Sep 1, 2010
good question, but if you're a beginner, don't say youtube :p haha

yeah i say practice and stuff

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I've learned it from books, many of which were published in the 1940s and earlier. The books are the type of book that you can't buy in a regular book store. Sometimes it takes days, weeks, months or years to learn the magic.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
If another magician asks me where I learn most of my magic I would tell them it is a wide variety of resources. Books, Dvds, my local club, lecture notes, jam sessions with other magicians and mostly me mentor who I pay for lessons hourly.

I really never have laymen asks "where" I learned something but they will normally ask, "How long does it take to be able to do that?" or "Do you practice a lot?" Things of this nature.

Dec 18, 2010
I feel this is a question that i am faced with on a daily basis. I dont know whether to give them the truth by saying books and dvds, say lots of practice, or somethinng else. Any ideas? what would you say in the situation

I guess it depends on which direction you want to lead them.
Do you want them to know the "truth"?
Or are you trying to come up with a good "smoke and mirror" story?

Mar 15, 2011
Make up a story involving Wizards, you saving a planet, a wardrobe, a ring of power, SHODAN, being misplaced in a handbag, gaining superpowers from being an alien, and a blender. No matter who they are theyll get a kick outta it :)

I say that I learn just by spending hours sitting in the corner playing with a deck of cards, a few coins, and some other handy objects. Seeing as I've never actually bought anything on magic besides the expert at the card table for three bucks at a local bookstore. Most of my stuff is my own or from the few books that my friends and family have given me over the past few years. Though, I have bought bricks of bicycles at costco and the occasional stud from walgreens, lol.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results