Where else can I submit a trick?

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys, I've been working on and performing this card effect that I created for awhile and I finally feel as if I've gotten it right. I figured that I might as well try submitting it to a magic site to see if they're interested but the only ones that I know who let you do so are T11 and E and I dont think my trick is the right style for either of them. So my question is what's another site I could try? My first thought was Penguin but it doesn't seem like they allow you to submit a trick. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Zeus

You've finally got it right? If you mean you just got it down to perfection then hold onto it. Please say how long you've had this for you don't want to release it or attempt at early stages, let it progress into a perfect effect.

Oct 6, 2007
You could try contacting any magic wholesaler, i.e. murphys magic, magicproshop, etc.

Do you have a video of the trick?

Sep 1, 2007
You've finally got it right? If you mean you just got it down to perfection then hold onto it. Please say how long you've had this for you don't want to release it or attempt at early stages, let it progress into a perfect effect.

I mean that I've been changing up both the sleights and the performance since I first got the idea for it(Some where around 3 months ago)and recently I've become happy with it and have performed it for various spectators and 3 of my magician friends. I actually would still wait a little while until I tried to release it, I just want to know my options because half of me just wants to make a video for it and post it here because I don't care too much about actually releasing it.

And to darosa.justin, no I do not currently have a video for it.

Oct 6, 2007
Hey,

Your best bet is to probably shoot a video of it, and show it some magicians here that you can really trust. Or any magician that would give you good feedback. Maybe even sending it to some of the artists here! I've done taht before and I got great feedback.

After shooting the video, make the necessary amendments, and as Lee Asher has said, practice it again and go out and perform.

After a year, shoot another video of the trick, and see how much it's improved.

When you're REALLY happy- then try releasing it.

For now, work your butt off on it, and get a video shot! ;P

Sep 1, 2007
Hey,

Your best bet is to probably shoot a video of it, and show it some magicians here that you can really trust. Or any magician that would give you good feedback. Maybe even sending it to some of the artists here! I've done taht before and I got great feedback.

After shooting the video, make the necessary amendments, and as Lee Asher has said, practice it again and go out and perform.

After a year, shoot another video of the trick, and see how much it's improved.

When you're REALLY happy- then try releasing it.

For now, work your butt off on it, and get a video shot! ;P

Thanks for the help, sounds good.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
you can submit a trick to penguin but you need to send this man an email

make sure you have a video

maxwell@penguinmagic.com or

PENGUIN MAGIC
PO BOX 335460
LAS VEGAS, NV 89033

dont get angry at me im just giving him the option if he wants

and have you performed it for people beside your brother or something.

Sep 1, 2007
you can submit a trick to penguin but you need to send this man an email

make sure you have a video

maxwell@penguinmagic.com or

PENGUIN MAGIC
PO BOX 335460
LAS VEGAS, NV 89033

dont get angry at me im just giving him the option if he wants

and have you performed it for people beside your brother or something.

Haha yes I have. I'm not one of those beginners who's trying to make this groundbreaking trick and become famous. I've just created a trick(which was inspired by this man's videos:http://www.youtube.com/user/jennings100 I encourage all of you to check them out, the patter is top notch and very entertaining) that I like and was wondering my options. But I think I've just decided that I'm going to hold on to it, at least for a little longer.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Before considering your options on releasing anything you should take a look at the effect you've developed and place it up there with all the stuff that is on the market currently, admittedly there is some pretty bad stuff out there, but you DEFINITELY don't want to release something mediocre that gets 1/10 in all the reviews.

I'm not saying your effect is of poor standard, I know nothing about it, but what I do know is that if you look at your trick and HONESTLY believe that people would pay to learn the techniques and ideas you have to sell then go for it.

However, I note that you say you've been working on the effect for 3 months, it's a very short period of time from initial concept to release ready...You want to go out and keep performing and improving the handling. Also through extensive testing you'll begin to build some emphasis points, some rhythm and will begin to polish the trick to the best it can possibly be.

Another option to look at is to compile a collection of effects, like a book or something - the majority of the material you or anyone else will create will not stand as a single effect release.

My first major release was the book proximity effects, I've only got that and 3 ebook's available currently and only have 2 releases planned for this year. I create TONS of stuff, however there's a big difference between stuff that works well for you and stuff that people will pay money to learn.

If you still believe that the effect will hold on the market, go put your foot in the door of EVERY magic producer you can find.

If you don't have an inbox flooded with offers, you need to re-think the way you're talking to the companies, these guys are in magic to release the best, and make cash doing it. Look at the selling points of your effect and stress them. Be confident and if the effect is REALLY good enough, it should be you deciding who to release through, not them deciding if it's worthy.

Hope that gave you a couple of points to consider, you really don't want to just release something for the sake of releasing something. You have to be sure that your approach is correct and that you're onto a winner.

Just trying to add a bit of realism on the subject, I hope everything goes well for you and be sure to keep us all here updated on progress!

D.

Sep 1, 2007
Listen to DeeChristopher :)

Personally, I wish more magicians would follow the example set by the likes of Wesley James - spend a career creating, performing, perfecting, polishing and then write a huge great big book about it which you can come back to time and time again because its so incredibly good.

Sep 1, 2007
Before considering your options on releasing anything you should take a look at the effect you've developed and place it up there with all the stuff that is on the market currently, admittedly there is some pretty bad stuff out there, but you DEFINITELY don't want to release something mediocre that gets 1/10 in all the reviews.

I'm not saying your effect is of poor standard, I know nothing about it, but what I do know is that if you look at your trick and HONESTLY believe that people would pay to learn the techniques and ideas you have to sell then go for it.

However, I note that you say you've been working on the effect for 3 months, it's a very short period of time from initial concept to release ready...You want to go out and keep performing and improving the handling. Also through extensive testing you'll begin to build some emphasis points, some rhythm and will begin to polish the trick to the best it can possibly be.

Another option to look at is to compile a collection of effects, like a book or something - the majority of the material you or anyone else will create will not stand as a single effect release.

My first major release was the book proximity effects, I've only got that and 3 ebook's available currently and only have 2 releases planned for this year. I create TONS of stuff, however there's a big difference between stuff that works well for you and stuff that people will pay money to learn.

If you still believe that the effect will hold on the market, go put your foot in the door of EVERY magic producer you can find.

If you don't have an inbox flooded with offers, you need to re-think the way you're talking to the companies, these guys are in magic to release the best, and make cash doing it. Look at the selling points of your effect and stress them. Be confident and if the effect is REALLY good enough, it should be you deciding who to release through, not them deciding if it's worthy.

Hope that gave you a couple of points to consider, you really don't want to just release something for the sake of releasing something. You have to be sure that your approach is correct and that you're onto a winner.

Just trying to add a bit of realism on the subject, I hope everything goes well for you and be sure to keep us all here updated on progress!

D.

Thank you for those VERY good points. I'm probably going to spend at least another month on the effect before I even consider doing anything but performing with it. After I feel ready I'll re-evaluate the situation and decide what to do next, which could very well be just to hold on to it.

Thank you everybody for your great advice and support,
Zeus

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Hey guys, I've been working on and performing this card effect that I created for awhile and I finally feel as if I've gotten it right. I figured that I might as well try submitting it to a magic site to see if they're interested but the only ones that I know who let you do so are T11 and E and I dont think my trick is the right style for either of them. So my question is what's another site I could try? My first thought was Penguin but it doesn't seem like they allow you to submit a trick. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Zeus

i wouldn't just make an assumption that it isn't their style. try one. if they don't like it, try another

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
i wouldn't just make an assumption that it isn't their style. try one. if they don't like it, try another

I disagree really, there's a huge difference between the kind of material that T11/E releases and the general quality and style of stuff in the more commercially available stuff.

I mean, say the guy's effect is a little packet trick like emerson and west's monte stuff - the colour monte sold over 7000 units in it's day, but it's not really the kind of thing these guys would produce.

On another related note, Arthur Emerson or Emerson and West has just written a supplement to go with my shift manuscript - anyone interested in the extra notes/routine, email me with proof of purchase of Prox.FX or Shift and I'll send you over a copy of the script :)

D.

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
I disagree really, there's a huge difference between the kind of material that T11/E releases and the general quality and style of stuff in the more commercially available stuff.

I mean, say the guy's effect is a little packet trick like emerson and west's monte stuff - the colour monte sold over 7000 units in it's day, but it's not really the kind of thing these guys would produce.

On another related note, Arthur Emerson or Emerson and West has just written a supplement to go with my shift manuscript - anyone interested in the extra notes/routine, email me with proof of purchase of Prox.FX or Shift and I'll send you over a copy of the script :)

D.

you are completely correct, however neither of us know what his trick is, and even if it is different, it could be something that one of the sites loves. plus, people are usually harder on themselves and what they have may be better than they think.

even if they don't like it, what's the worse that can happen? they'll say no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I can't really say much about my trick without giving too much of it away. It uses the whole deck and is more of an old school style card effect. It involves the spectator picking a card, it's lost back in the deck, they get to give the deck a few cuts, and then I find it in an...interesting way. But then I reveal the real big-bang of the trick with a two-part climax. That really doesn't give you a very good idea of what the effects like at all but whatever. For the time being the moves involved are nothing original, but I'm working on replacing one of them with something else if I can think of anything.

Like I said, check out this man's videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/jennings100

My trick was inspired by his videos and is a similar style, which is clearly not the style of T11 or E, so forget about that. Once again my effect is nothing groundbreaking, but it gets great reactions when presented correctly.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results