Where Magic Becomes Pure Beautiful Art

Hey guys, I'm sure most of you have already seen this as its the 1st place Micro Magic act in FISM this year. I know expose mentioned Patrick Lehnen's second place act, but i just wanted to share this amazing routine by Andost called Rainbow. I love it!
[video=youtube;uI5I1w3l3Tg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI5I1w3l3Tg[/video]

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
That was absolutely beautiful to watch! I couldn't look away from the screen; my eyes were glued to this magnificient routine. Thanks for sharing, otherwise I wouldn't have known about this :D

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Without trying to ruffle feathers, I'm curious what about this routine makes it "Pure beautiful art"?

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
It's all about the choreography and how well it is routined. Just by watching the video, you can tell that this act took a LONG time to put together and it's beautiful to see it come to fuition.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hmmm, it says that this routine won the first place on FISM. However it lacks most of the things we talk about here on the forums, that are "important" in magic.

- "See Say Do" type presentation: "We have a green light and cards become green", "We have a blue light and cards become blue"
- Absolutely no audience involvement whatsoever.
- Presentation that has no hook, or real life importance. Lights, colors and rainbows... Who cares?
- If you think about it, this routine is nothing but a bunch of color changes in a row (amazing color changes, but color changes nonetheless)

And yet this routine won FISM in 2012. So what does that mean? Are we just talking BS here on the forums, or do we actually have a point when we say that patter/presentation/emotional hook are the most important part of an effect?

Hmmm, it says that this routine won the first place on FISM. However it lacks most of the things we talk about here on the forums, that are "important" in magic.

- "See Say Do" type presentation: "We have a green light and cards become green", "We have a blue light and cards become blue"
- Presentation that has no hook, or real life importance. Lights, colors and rainbows... Who cares?
- If you think about it, this routine is nothing but a bunch of color changes in a row (amazing color changes, but color changes nonetheless)

And yet this routine won FISM in 2012. So what does that mean? Are we just talking BS here on the forums, or do we actually have a point when we say that patter/presentation/emotional hook are the most important part of an effect?

Thats a seriously good point, i never really realised. I dont really have an answer but i suppose it really depends. I think this routine is put together so well that it doesn't really need most of the things you mentioned. At the same time however i disagree to a point because i believe that this routine does have an 'emotional hook' (simply due to its beauty), and an incredible presentation. Also, yes patter isn't a big point in this routine but in the first half he does talk about how colour is an illusion etc.
I think JFergz summed it up well - 'i just couldnt look away from the screen' - i think when a routine does that, it doesnt need anything else.
I think your right, toby, about whats 'important' in magic, but i think there's one more thing thats even more important, that you didnt mention. Simplicity. Although this routine is a quite complex idea, its performed simply. Like you said - 'we have a green light, the cards become green'. I think this routine is so visual, that, that is all it needs

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca

Good thoughts Toby. Those are good things to pick up on and ask about our own presentations.

I will say that not all magic Needs to do all of these things. It doesn't always need to involve spectators. Some examples would be most large stage illusions, Shawn Farquhar's 'shape of my heart' routine, the first three quarters of Copperfield's flying etc. And most all large stage illusions are presented with no why (why did I want to impale that girl on a big spike?). As for his presentation, he begins by claiming he can bend and control light. That's a pretty impressive claim, and a more impressive presentation compared to most effects that are performed. As well we may be missing the context of his show, which may add value to the concept of controlling light.

And indeed, from what I have experienced, competitive magic is much different than social or professional magic. Performing for magicians is a different bag of tricks (literally), than for laymen.

As far as art is concerned, the discussion of 'what is art?' is another discussion. :)

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
So I showed this vid to my fellow co-workers, and while I respect that the guy came up with an interesting idea for a color changing deck routine...some of us became a little "lost" by everything that was on the table. Literally. Some of us got a little bored and some of us enjoyed parts of the routine.

I think for what the routine was, it was a little long...

I am not hating on the guy, because for what it was, it was good. But just a little long.

May 9, 2012
New York

well, i think that this didnt really deserve to win, it was still beautiful. he couldve just did all the changes and it wouldve been amazing, but the fact that he made sense of it with the colors made it so much better.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
It is apparent that a magician will see this differently than a layman. There is a difference but it is not bad.

The magician looks at it knowing that it took years of work, more than 20 color changes are used ant the amount of set up makes me tired just thinking about it. The concept and plot is fairly original and even some of the method. Technically, it is advanced but not impossible to replicate. It is slow and builds slowly.

The layman looks at it and may wonder why the magician keeps doing the same trick over and over and over again. He also might wonder why the magician chose to change cards color and not a car or his t-shirt.

A magician can take this apart and say, he choreographed it well. He did all that preparation for a somewhat small pay off, is that preparation worth it in my act? Do I know my material as well as he? If not then I have a goal that I hope to achieve.

It's interesting to see the types of acts that compete at FISM. While it's on my mind I'll post a link to one of my all time favorite FISM acts. This is Rick Merrill, I believe it is one of the most beautiful and under appreciated acts in magic. It also placed at FISM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMv3dad4O1s

While it doesn't fix many if any of the problems posed by Toby I like it much more. I also think that a layman would like it more, I'm not sure why though.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
It won because FISM as always been about Magic for magicians. It was a nice routine, but I felt it was rather boring after awhile.

I don't know if I completely agree with this, for instance Lennart Green has a wonderful FISM act that is compelling for magicians and layman alike. There is definitely some truth to it though. Magic for magicians can help to give depth to the art and it will always have it's place in magic as far as I'm concerned.

The same thing exists in all arts. There is dance for dancers, theater for thespians and art for artists. It is not bad as long as we understand what it is and are honest with ourselves.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
but the fact that he made sense of it with the colors made it so much better.

Did he make sense of it, though? Why does the color change when near the light sometimes, but not others? Why does it change at all? I would contest that, while this routine is very well executed, it is a shining example of the pointlessness of modern magic. What is the point or meaning of any of this routine? It was done because he can do it. That's it. Same thing with the Rick Merrill routine. Sportscasting patter, no ultimate meaning or reason, just "look what I can do."

And I'm not disrespecting these guys. I'm impressed by their skills, but I just don't feel that most magic I watch is even remotely magical. It lacks any meaning or hinting at a greater truth. It's just a display of skill like juggling or wake boarding.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Did he make sense of it, though? Why does the color change when near the light sometimes, but not others? Why does it change at all? I would contest that, while this routine is very well executed, it is a shining example of the pointlessness of modern magic. What is the point or meaning of any of this routine? It was done because he can do it. That's it. Same thing with the Rick Merrill routine. Sportscasting patter, no ultimate meaning or reason, just "look what I can do."

And I'm not disrespecting these guys. I'm impressed by their skills, but I just don't feel that most magic I watch is even remotely magical. It lacks any meaning or hinting at a greater truth. It's just a display of skill like juggling or wake boarding.

Are you getting at what makes it artistic versus entertaining? I can see your point, and I would tend to agree. What kind of acts do you know that do a good job of pointing to a greater truth?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Are you getting at what makes it artistic versus entertaining? I can see your point, and I would tend to agree. What kind of acts do you know that do a good job of pointing to a greater truth?

I'm kind of getting at both. Magicians catch a lot of slack because they're seen as one of the bottom feeders of the entertainment world. An act can certainly be entertaining without being artistic, and things can certainly be artistic without being entertaining. This thread points at an act that is described as "Pure beautiful art" so I was thinking along the artistic side. To me, art needs to evoke thought or feelings. This act did neither for me. It's eye candy.

Do all magic acts need to be art? No. I enjoy a couple acts that don't point to deeper meanings, but are very entertaining. I've watched Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants probably over a hundred times. While I enjoy it thoroughly, it's not deeply meaningful, but it is entertaining to me.

As for acts that point to a greater truth, I don't really know many. The only two things I can think of right now are Jansenson's talk at the EMC and some of Derren Brown's work. I know there are several people who claim to empower their spectators, but I haven't seen those people perform so I don't know if I'd agree. I know that I, personally, try to do this but I also haven't been doing it long enough to know if I'm effective at it.

Most magic that I see is done because the person can do it. That is the depth and extent of the meaning behind it. I do think that there is a bit of a shift happening where people want to do more meaningful magic, I just don't know if I'm being hopeful, or if it will even actually happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I'm kind of getting at both. Magicians receive catch a lot of slack because they're seen as one of the bottom feeders of the entertainment world. An act can certainly be entertaining without being artistic, and things can certainly be artistic without being entertaining. This thread points at an act that is described as "Pure beautiful art" so I was thinking along the artistic side. To me, art needs to evoke thought or feelings. This act did neither for me. It's eye candy.

Do all magic acts need to be art? No. I enjoy a couple acts that don't point to deeper meanings, but are very entertaining. I've watched Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants probably over a hundred times. While I enjoy it thoroughly, it's not deeply meaningful, but it is entertaining to me.

As for acts that point to a greater truth, I don't really know many. The only two things I can think of right now are Jansenson's talk at the EMC and some of Derren Brown's work. I know there are several people who claim to empower their spectators, but I haven't seen those people perform so I don't know if I'd agree. I know that I, personally, try to do this but I also haven't been doing it long enough to know if I'm effective at it.

Most magic that I see is done because the person can do it. That is the depth and extent of the meaning behind it. I do think that there is a bit of a shift happening where people want to do more meaningful magic, I just don't know if I'm being hopeful, or if it will even actually happen.

I like your thoughts but I hope you don't mind if I disagree.

My personal definition of art is this; the communication of how we feel. I don't know about the rainbow routine, I don't know what greater meaning he is shooting for. To me it fell a little flat there. Entertaining? Yes. Greater meaning? No.

Rick Merrill's performance on the other hand IS empowering. Rick communicates to the viewer that he, a socially awkward, middle aged, average person can shine. The audience is on his side rooting for the under dog, the average Joe. He is entertaining because we all have been there. We have all had self doubt and had to face it in order to shine. Rick does this. Rick, a normal guy, can be outstanding. If he can why can't I? This is art!

When we begin to understand what changes gymnastics into dance we can begin to understand what makes magic art. I assert that the missing ingredient is emotion.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I like your thoughts but I hope you don't mind if I disagree.

My personal definition of art is this; the communication of how we feel. I don't know about the rainbow routine, I don't know what greater meaning he is shooting for. To me it fell a little flat there. Entertaining? Yes. Greater meaning? No.

Rick Merrill's performance on the other hand IS empowering. Rick communicates to the viewer that he, a socially awkward, middle aged, average person can shine. The audience is on his side rooting for the under dog, the average Joe. He is entertaining because we all have been there. We have all had self doubt and had to face it in order to shine. Rick does this. Rick, a normal guy, can be outstanding. If he can why can't I? This is art!

When we begin to understand what changes gymnastics into dance we can begin to understand what makes magic art. I assert that the missing ingredient is emotion.

While I didn't get that from Rick's performance, that's ok. We don't have to see eye to eye on that. What I really like was your last bit there, which I've bolded.

I do agree that emotion is critical to creating art. But I don't think it stops there. Just because something makes someone happy, for instance, doesn't mean it's art. Watching the Hangover makes me happy, but I don't think it's art. It doesn't make me think or feel anything profound, it just makes me happy because I think it's funny. But this guy's work: http://getfile9.posterous.com/getfi...SBwoh4rZyIsXRvZnJ0AqZlaeCwy0KCbR/ATT00181.jpg makes me feel the profound sense of the lack of identity felt by the artist.

May 9, 2012
New York
Did he make sense of it, though? Why does the color change when near the light sometimes, but not others? Why does it change at all? I would contest that, while this routine is very well executed, it is a shining example of the pointlessness of modern magic. What is the point or meaning of any of this routine? It was done because he can do it. That's it.

i think he did make sense of it. if he had just did all the same color changes without the lights, it would have been equally as impressive, but not nearly as good of a routine. by the way, im not sure what you mean by "pointlessness modern magic". does any magic have a point. think of the oldest, most classic magic trick: sawing a woman in half... why? what is the point of that? i think that the fact that magic doesnt have a point is what makes it great: we create the illusion that we can do anyting and then we live up to that expectation.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Sawing a woman in half is by no means the oldest or most classic. Magic has been around for thousands of years, sawing a woman in half is a blip in its history. Good magic has a point. 'Real' magic has a point. Most magic performed in modern times is a pale imitation of what was done centuries ago. Robert Houdin stopped a war with illusions. At one time a magician was a figure of power. Now they are upjumped clowns and jugglers.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
There are several definitions to what the word "art" means...here are but 2...

The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
Works produced by such skill and imagination.

So if we look at the above definitions of what art is...

Think about this...

We always create art when we perform our magic. Be it good or bad art...it still is art.

A blank canvas is us before we introduce ourselves. Once names have been exchanged, thus begins the transformation from blank canvas to a picture that tells a story. (patter, both good and bad)

Art is also self-interpretation. What one sees as art, another might not. So take this for what it's worth...

Just throwin' my 2 cents in...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results