Where to get my coins softened and aged

Feb 10, 2013
I have some coins but want to get them aged and softened, so I have a few questions.

Where could I send them in to be softened, remilled, and aged? Approximately how much would it cost?

Could I also send in some of my own coins to be turned into gaffs (gravity flippers, expanded shells, etc.)? Would that be cheaper than just buying the coin gaffs?

Also, can they do all these "modifications" with all kinds of coins?

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
I played with coin softening techniques for quite some time. I can't comment on the cost of sending them away to get milled but I would hazzard a guess that it's not going to be cheap by any means and the same I would say for having custom gaffs made, but as I said I can't be 100% sure on that. The technique I use now I find works the best, for me anyway, and this is for softening so they don't 'talk' and not really aging.

Buy a whet stone that has a very fine grain on it, wet the coin and the stone and gently rub the coin in a figure 8 pattern on the stone. Depending on the coin you are using you have to be careful how much you rub. If you are standard half dollars you get in magic shops they are platted so if you rub to much you will remove the plate metal and show the base metal (this isn't a problem if the coins are pure silver) but with some practice you will work out how far you can rub it, before the plat would start to rub off, just be gentle and take your time. After that I take a very fine file and clamp the coin onto a flat surface and gently rub the file flat across the face smoothing down the outer rim of the coin.

Alternatively if you willing to spending money sending it to get milled you will be better off searching on ebay for genuinely old coins. I've bought a couple of set of walking liberty coins, and they come naturally aged and softened.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results