Where to start?

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
I recently bought JB Bobos Modern Coin Magic. From some of the content that I skimmed through so far I am beginning to enjoy reading up on it. But my problem is where to start. Anyone who owns the book, could you give me some advice on what to start off with, any routines or quick tricks?

Mar 13, 2009
Hey, I dont own the Book.

But I think you should train some of the sleights and than create your own simple routines out of it. The best way to learn for me.

So yeah Quick own Routines.

Tsuji

Jul 8, 2008
Skimming through it won't do you any good as of now. I reccomend actually reading the sections and different sleights. Some items in the book are first prints (not counting the items from the original printings) and have not been printed again. Lots of gems in here just waiting for you to find them. I can tell you this, everybody gets something new. I have found things that you might never find, you will find things that I will never find. We all find different tricks and sleights to our own likings that we will work on individualy in different ways and come up with different ideas for them. Also, some of the effects are commonly looked over, when really we never know what we will find within them. So read through it, start to finish, skimming the text, then actually going back, reading it all again, but this time with some coins in hand and working through it.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
There are many beginner coin magic dvd's out in the market that are good if you're a visual learner. He's a brief review on the ones i have.

In the Beginning There Were Coins - Jay Noblezada
This is probably the most known beginner coin magic dvd. This was the one i first got. This dvd is easy to learn from if you're a beginner. He goes through all the basic sleights and shows you some really cool routines. The only thing i didn't like was the fact that when he explains stuff he talks A LOT. And it's kinda hard to find the information that you really need from his explanations. Also, this dvd teaches the best retention vanish out there. It's the only retention vanish that i use and it's easier and much more visual that other retention vanishes. The retention vanish is worth the price of the dvd in my opinion.
Pros: Good teaching, good routines, awesome retention vanish.
Cons: Talks way too much, kinda hard to follow at some parts.

Complete Introduction to Coin Magic - Michael Ammar
I liked this dvd more than Jay's dvd. First off, Michael talks a lot less. He only talks about the things you really need to know. What liked most about this dvd was the sections title "Major Secrets" In these sections, Michael talks about naturalness, effective way of practicing, and how to turn your magic into miracles. This dvd not only talks about the technique, it talks about the psychology behind the magic. Also, he teaches lots of little gags and quick tricks with coins. The only down side was that he taught lots of palms that aren't used very often, and the routines he taught weren't as good as jay's.
Pros: Great teaching, Major Secrets, great quick tricks
Cons: Routines aren't as good, teaches under used palms.

Expert Coin Magic Made Easy - David Roth
This is a 3 volume set. This is the best place to start in coin magic, in my opinion. David Roth has been claimed "The best coin manipulator in the entire world" by Dai Vernon himself. In these dvds, he teaches you only the essential 3 palms. He also teaches many application with only those 3 palms that i never thought was possible. He also has cut his teaching to the bone, making sure every word is an important one. He also teaches you many classic routines like Spellbound, Chink-a-Chink, Winged Silver, and more. The best part of this dvd is that after the explanations there is a Recap segment which briefly recaps the sleight or routine in case you missed anything. There are also many "Ten-Second Tips" in which he give you little tips and subtleties that will really help you in learning the moves.
Pros: Best teaching, no excess material, many routines, great tips
Cons: None that i know of

Hopefully that helps. Good luck in your journey of coin magic! :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results