Where'd you learn that?

Oct 14, 2009
What is your answer to a spectator when he/she asks you where you learned your trick? I don't have one set answer to the question, but if the person seriously wants to know out of real interest, I might just say "There are tons of resources out there if you are interested, but there are too many just to say there's on place where I learned it" (obviously this is not always the case if I performed something I learned straight from a DVD, but I don't want to give away any specifics). As for people who ask but don't seem to be serious, I just say "a lot of practice" or just simply "it's magic".

So what do you guys say?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Well... I'm in a different position because I perform mentalism... Thus I more often get asked about the psychological phenomena I present about... Which is lucky because I base my routines on real things I have real knowledge about.

On the topic of magic, though... I think you're right in saying that there is not one set answer. On one hand, if someone showed genuine, persistent interest in magic, I would not hesitate to point them to a good book. On the other hand, if I am feeling more cheeky, I'll borrow Eric Mead's answer, "Satanism". Some answers, obviously, will be more serious, and accurate than others, depending on how I judge the situation, how I feel, and so on.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I simply say that I learned it from another magician. Though many tricks I know are from a book or DVD, that does not change the fact that the magician, when it comes down to it, taught me. This way I reveal nothing but satisfy the question, at least enough to get them to stop asking.

L

May 10, 2010
I usually just smile and say "That's for me to know, and for you to find out!" If the spectator persists, I'll just say i learnt it from a friend of mine, which he doesn't know.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If I'm just doing something for friends or a friends-of-friends kinda thing, I'll say something ridiculous like, "Sold my soul to satan" or "Harry Potter."

If I'm performing, or 'in character' for performance, I'll say something like, "I learned from a friend named Wayne" (or whoever created/marketed the effect).

Another response is, "I learned this from talking to dead people." (Which is a mutation of a quote from Max Maven)

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Well if someone asks how did I do something, then I say, Can you keep a secret? So can I. But if someone says where did I learn it, I just say books. And it stops them right there.

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
I usually give some crack pot excuse like. 1 on 1 sessions with Gambit, Willow and the ewoks, made a wish with the Wishmaster or what ever crazy thing I can come up with. Thats with strangers

With personal performances like to friends. If they show some real interest I will tell them lots of research and reading and prob point them to a starter source like card college if they want to learn.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I use to say books, mainly because most people hate the idea of reading. If it is a good friend or a house mate I rattle off three or four sources and say it's my combination of them. When they see the size of the books I am referencing they usually stop right there.

Now days though I spend a lot of my time in character which actually is demonstrating something I have either learned or wanted to test out. So on the whole most spectators believe me anyway.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I normally tell them I do a lot of studying out of books and that they should go to the their local library to check out some magic books. This will lead them down the correct path but it will take some definite motivation on their part to actually follow through.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I think you guys are missing the bigger picture here. If you perform for someone and they ask where you learned something...that is a GOOD thing. They are interested in knowing more about you as a person...so why not take the time to let them know you? Building rapport is what its all about! Set the jokes aside and let them know a little about you.

When I am asked, I usually tell them HOW I got started in magic...and it not only leads to more conversation, but it is also a perfect segway into more effects. "...and after seeing him perform that on TV, I decided to myself that this is what I wanted to do..."

I am alllllll about being random in my performances, but also understand that sometimes a serious question like that can mean so much more than just another way to make someone laugh.

Mike

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I usually just say " I learned from another magician" that way I'm telling the truth without giving out too much information. But sometimes I just say "It's magic" and leave it at that haha it works sometimes you should try it

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
My usual response is "Books, the internet, and other people." This doesn't give them an exact source to track down, but if they are genuinely interested they will keep asking other questions.

I think you guys are missing the bigger picture here. If you perform for someone and they ask where you learned something...that is a GOOD thing. They are interested in knowing more about you as a person...so why not take the time to let them know you? Building rapport is what its all about! Set the jokes aside and let them know a little about you.

When I am asked, I usually tell them HOW I got started in magic...and it not only leads to more conversation, but it is also a perfect segway into more effects. "...and after seeing him perform that on TV, I decided to myself that this is what I wanted to do..."

I am alllllll about being random in my performances, but also understand that sometimes a serious question like that can mean so much more than just another way to make someone laugh.

Mike

Thats really interesting Mike. I never thought of taking that simple question as a foundation to lead into an effect or make the spectator more comfortable. I'll have to

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I actually have no idea if that's a quote or not. lol. Ellusionist had a status update on FB and asked What do you say when someone asks how your trick is done, and someone said Can you keep a secret? So can I. Well I liked it and started to use it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results