Which effect could fit?

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Hello,

my program (for parlour for now) has 2 effects in it (Coin to impossible location and a song predicion) which have stood the test of time for me. My trick order is as following:
Opener:
A version of Tom Burgoon water glass routine (with the whistling noises)
Middle 1:
-----------
Middle 2:
song prediction
Closer:
Coin to impossible location (That's the routine I am using the topit for.)

The idea is that I walk up silently on stage on throw some confetti in the air as I go to the stage. Then I won't say anything and I will do my water glass routine. After the routine I will speak.

I like the idea of saying the opposite of what people expect me to be. For example, I am a very skinny person so I will say in a tongue-in-cheek tone that I am a body builder. I want to show that I am not taking myself too seriously. However, I want to leave the audience with a great impression of connectivity and that they feel emotionally touched. My 2 last effect will achieve that.

What I am looking for is a fun effect which somehow makes the bridge from being funny to a more serious atmosphere. It shouldn't involve spectator participation as the last 2 effects do so. It doesn't mean it can't involve spectator interaction as I am really fond of that.

Please do keep in mind that I value good scripts/presentations highly and that the trick that you might be suggesting should hold an interesting presentation idea. Surely, one can make every effect interesting but I find it difficult to find presentations for certain effects. I will naturally write my own presentation but a funny or interesting premise of the effect would be nice.

I have so far a C2Impossible Location, a prediction and a funny noise-out-of-glass effect.

I want to add a second question here. I want to play with the spectators minds and their expectations. For example I want to lead the spectators thoughts down a certain path through the entire effect and then disprove their thought completely in the end or telling them what they are thinking at the exact moment. That might sound a little strange but I think it is hilarious. Do you have an idea which effect or type of effect could fit in here?

All of this is not really specific but rather more vague. I would really appreciate every suggestion you have to make.

Cheers
Philipp

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Philipp:

I was trying to think about this and what you are asking is difficult because it is so personal in nature.

There are a number of good effects out there that lead the spectators down one path only to surprise them at the end such as Silk to Egg, McCombical Deck, Vanishing Bandana and the baby picture prediction effects.

I'd also recommend two books - Wayne Dobson's WD-40 and Jim Steinmeyer's Conjuring. There are a number of great parlor routines in those books.

Reactions: Lyle Borders
May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA

You might try Serial Biller by Rich Ferguson. It's ridiculously strong, so it's sometimes my closer, but with the right show build I think you could also use it as a transition, especially the kind you're talking about.

The effect is as simple as it is old: you take a dollar bill, destroy it, and then restore it. The thing that makes it impossible is that you have the serial number written down before the destruction and checked after the restoration.

I tend to present this with a bit of an Amazing Johnathan spin on it. I have them pull out the dollar and write everything down, then I "accidentally" destroy the dollar by asking them to rip it in half and revealing too late that I meant they were only supposed to imagine ripping the dollar. After that I have them hold the pieces in their hands while I use a Harry Potter incantation to try and repair it. When that doesn't work, I explain that sometimes it helps to have a way to focus the magic, so I pull out a sheet of newspaper and fold it into a cone shape (Utility Cone from Mark Wilson's Complete Course), explaining that this will "funnel" the magic into the dollar. I have the spec put the pieces in the cone, then do the spell again and open the paper to show that the dollar has vanished into nowhere. I look around sheepishly and crumple up the newspaper, tossing it over my shoulder, then suddenly I "remember" the paper with the serial number on it. Drawing attention to it, I point out that it is actually an envelope an ask the spec to tear it open. They do, and there's a dollar inside. Often applause will start right here, so I quiet everyone down if necessary and say "Wait, wait! Read the number on the bill and make sure it matches the written one!" Once the number matches, the whole house comes down. This effect is nuclear.

This tends to present as funny and slapstick right up until the moment when the envelope is mentioned. That's when people start going "No way..." and the mood changes. Then you follow it right up with the reading of the serial number. Once that's done, the trick goes from being complete nonsense to basically being a miracle.

Reactions: Lyle Borders
Jun 13, 2013
Germany
@both

First of all, thanks for your answers. I will definetely look up Wayne Dobson's book. I think that he has some terrific tricks. In regards to the other effects that David suggested: I like the idea of leading the spectator down a path with a surprise ending. However, while all of the effects you named are great, I can't think of any good presentation for them now (some of them don't work in German. :( ) But thanks.

RedBeard, I think the effect that you described is a great one. I've always wanted to perform a trick in that direction. Maybe I could incorporate a break-away wand in that procedure. What do you do when the spectator doesn't rip the bill immediately? I will think of a funny presentation and an appealing one.

I will do some brainstorming with a friend of mine and I will let you know what we've come up with.

Thanks for both of your answers!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results