Which is better?

May 18, 2008
I have often asked myself this question in various artforms and hobbies I am a part of, and I was wondering what you guys thoughts on this was.

Is it better to know a few (6 or 7) flourishes and do them REALLY well, or to know a TON? I have met LOTS of people who know 40-something cuts but do them all... Decently.

I, personally, fall into the first catagory. I don't know very many flourishes. However, the ones I do know have been practiced and are near perfect. That is the only problem though; BECAUSE I only know a few, learning new ones is VERY hard. I almost feel like they will NEVER get to the point of the other flourishes I already know.

Thoughts?

Jul 8, 2008
I don't think you should learn any flourishes. Just drop them completely and pick up some coins.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I have often asked myself this question in various artforms and hobbies I am a part of, and I was wondering what you guys thoughts on this was.

Is it better to know a few (6 or 7) flourishes and do them REALLY well, or to know a TON? I have met LOTS of people who know 40-something cuts but do them all... Decently.

I, personally, fall into the first catagory. I don't know very many flourishes. However, the ones I do know have been practiced and are near perfect. That is the only problem though; BECAUSE I only know a few, learning new ones is VERY hard. I almost feel like they will NEVER get to the point of the other flourishes I already know.

Thoughts?

After ten,sometimes less, of flourishes they honestly all start to look the same.
Ten is a fine number. If you do all of those perfectly and the other guy does forty but sloppily put, Who do you think is going to look more learned and skillful in card manipulation?

Sep 1, 2007
Ten flourishes isn't enough. Think about it...spring, charlier, revolution cut, thumb cut, thumb fan, pressure fan, one handed fan, one handed shuffle, Sybil, Tornado...thats ten right there, and their just the basics. I'd say 20 to 25 is a good number.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Ten flourishes isn't enough. Think about it...spring, charlier, revolution cut, thumb cut, thumb fan, pressure fan, one handed fan, one handed shuffle, Sybil, Tornado...thats ten right there, and their just the basics. I'd say 20 to 25 is a good number.

To be honest, I'd say that's all you need. A layman isn't going to care if you do a sybil, leno or pandora, it's all spinning packets round your fingers in big displays. I think with those ten there, you have a good number of varied flourishes without falling into the trap of learning an indefinite amount of two handed multi packeted flourishes which are all just variations of one original cut. There again, this is coming from the point of view of a magician, rather than a cardist.

Jul 14, 2008
Well, it really depends on what you want. Personally, I think practising flourishes is a great way to kill time and to take a break from card magic. Try not to incorporate cardistry into your card magic routine. It's good to know some in order to attract the attention.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results