Which should I choose?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TylerRouss, Jan 6, 2013.

1. I am looking to purchase two books from vanishing magic inc, as I have 65.00 in gift cards to their website from christmas. I am looking to get one or two books, and have narrowed my list down to five. Which two do you think I should get? I am looking for knowledge on scripting, routining, psychology, misdirection, etc. I care a lot less about tricks and sleights than those subjects. Any help choosing would be appreciated, as would any other suggestions within that price range. I have a bit of a collection and do not feel like posting all that I currently own, if you have a suggestion simply make it and state why. If I have it, I have it; if I don't, I'll look into it.

-Reflections by Helder Guimaraes
    -Dear Mr Fantasy by John Bannon
    -Roadrunner Cull by Kostya Kimlat (This is the only sleight I am considering, as my cull is quite weak and this book sounds wonderful, is it worth it?)
    -Five Points in Magic by Juan Tamariz
    -A Book in English by Woody Aragon

Thanks a lot guys!

Tyler Rouss

2. If you want theory, then the obvious choice is Five Points. Dear Mr. Fantasy my personal favorite of that list, but there is no theory. The roadrunner cull is a two-volume DVD set, where each volume is $45

3. I don't know which one you should get. But I have Mnemonica from Juan Tamariz so I bet Five points in magic would be pretty good read. Good luck!

4. I ended up going with five points, as well as Secrets of Improvisational magic. The second one was just the book that best fit into my price range and the material I was looking for, I couldn't find much about it online. Sounds interesting though!

5. That does sound interesting!

Juan Tamariz writes a little bit about improv magic in Mnemonica, he talks about creating unique and one time performances that are original and never repeated again. I found that very interesting and all I have to say is I am not even a good enough performer to pull off something like that entertainingly.

Enjoy the books and let me know how they are!

6. I was going to suggest 5 points too, I've asked the same question before and was told to go with that.