Whiteboard Monte by Smetsers

Feb 11, 2018
Does anybody out there in Theory Land do Smetsers' "Whiteboard Monte"? If so, I'm looking for handling tips. The discs are a bit different from the heavier three-disc monte props. I have some familiarity with those, and three-card monte in general. A few people have said they do a version of Jon Armstrong's 3-blank card monte-- or they want to. Let me know if you do, please. Thanks.

Feb 11, 2018
Update on my previous post regarding the whiteboard discs: 1) A certain amount of static electricity is inherent in the nature of whiteboards, from what I've learned, even the non-magnetic variety. The Smetsers discs are a bit sticky with each other. Thus, if you try to throw a standard "hype", as you would with cards, you will have a bit of trouble. You can see how much static exists with the discs just by pressing two together, then picking up the top one. It will stick to the one under it, if just for a second. I don't think there is anything to do about this, but if you're doing a standard hype, you will have to throw the disc. If you've used other monte-style discs, you will have a leg up on this technique.

2) In Smetsers' instruction video, he lauds the design of the outer grip rings. In my brief practice so far, I don't think they help. The black rings are set into grooves on the disc edges, and can easily be slipped off. I think using the discs without the grip rings is an improvement for two reasons: one, the grooves are easier to grip than the rings, also offering a smaller surface from which to let go; two, instead of three black rings visible against the white discs, you now have SIX white edges. The lack of contrast and number of edges should add to the inability of a spectator to follow any particular disc when thrown.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results