Who was that Magician?

Apr 26, 2013
I was talking with a Ring brother about his recent show. I heard from some of the audience that he did a good job, but they could not remember his name. This has frustrated me also. What are some good, subtle ways to get the audience to remember your name?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It depends on the type of performance, of course, but generally you just say your name and make the performance more about sharing a moment with, and connecting to, the audience instead of just showing some tricks.

For me, I do parlor shows. So I am introduced, and the last bit of my introduction is my name. I then do an opener, and then my introduction spiel which repeats my name. I also have one or two little jokes in the script regarding my name, and then at the end I repeat it again as I'm taking the bow.

If you're more focused on strolling/table hopping kind of work you can get a poster made up and have it displayed in the lobby as part of your contract. It should have your name, an updated headshot, and some info about you.

Depending on the style of event/contract terms you can also have a load of business cards on a table near the poster or hand out your own cards.

If you're just doing Blaine-style guerrilla magic, I'd recommend just making sure you do state your name clearly a couple times, and again, focus on connecting with the audience and giving them a unique experience instead of just doing some tricks at them.

Apr 26, 2013
It depends on the type of performance, of course, but generally you just say your name and make the performance more about sharing a moment with, and connecting to, the audience instead of just showing some tricks.

For me, I do parlor shows. So I am introduced, and the last bit of my introduction is my name. I then do an opener, and then my introduction spiel which repeats my name. I also have one or two little jokes in the script regarding my name, and then at the end I repeat it again as I'm taking the bow.

If you're more focused on strolling/table hopping kind of work you can get a poster made up and have it displayed in the lobby as part of your contract. It should have your name, an updated headshot, and some info about you.

Depending on the style of event/contract terms you can also have a load of business cards on a table near the poster or hand out your own cards.

If you're just doing Blaine-style guerrilla magic, I'd recommend just making sure you do state your name clearly a couple times, and again, focus on connecting with the audience and giving them a unique experience instead of just doing some tricks at them.
For replies more on target I should have included more details, sorry. My friend performed a parlor show for a business and I was thinking of past shows of the same type for myself. I like your suggestions about including my name in scripts. Exactly the type of ideals I was hoping for.
I asked for 'subtle ways' cause I have used more direct ways. I always ask for the host to introduce me, sometimes providing a script. I have used banners and signs on the table. I encourage still pictures that include the sign by using audience applause queues near the table. I use pencils and business cards and for the latter, I have used magical giveaways. And that should never be subtle.
I have done some street magic too. I did some impromptu shows in the city park. I ended with Dress Code, changing my tee into a ad with my name and number.
Maybe your best advice is 'focus on connecting with the audience and giving them a unique experience'. That's why we do it, right? Thanks

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I personally don't trust people with an introduction so, other than a very select few people, I always tell them exactly what I want them to say. I want to be walking on stage to applause, with my (stage) name being the last thing the person doing the intro says. I also try to script my name as being one of the last things they hear in the show as that is more likely to stick in the memory.

I think connection is the most important thing. People will forget what you say but they will never forget how you made them feel. (Angelou, I believe)

The material one performs also helps in regards to how memorable they are. Performing the generic stuff that everyone does will not make you stand out. But material that's personalized to a unique character and is interesting and engaging will make you stand out.

Another sort of trick is hashtags. I use them occasionally but I know a few performers that have gotten a good bit of traction with them and it helps drive online traffic to the desired locations.

Reactions: Samuel M.(1)
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results