Who's your favourite?

Jun 18, 2017
Forgive me for what's probably a generic thread, but I have solid reasons and the older versions of this thread are by their nature out of date!

I'm looking for some advice as to some new magicians to check out. I'm not actually interested in tricks as much as performance style. You see, I've been away for the best part of a decade so whilst I'm familiar with a lot of the big TV magicians of the late nineties (Penn and Teller, David Blaine, Criss Angel) I've missed an entire generation of people.

I really want to see a variety of performance styles because, for me, magic has evolved since I was getting started and I'm looking for inspiration.

Seems to be a fashion for... can I say, hipster styled magicians at the moment? Some of the young guys have got amazing skills but I'm struggling to find anyone without a sleeve of tattoos. Or wearing a pair of shades despite being inside :D

So... who are some of your favourite contemporary performers?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So I'm assuming you are familiar with new popular magicians like Dynamo, or even Derrren Brown (though he's been around for a while)?

I can say that there are a few hipster magicians, but for the most part I don't see them. Most magicians are a lot more casual now. Cardistry and flourishing has also taken a major stand in magic. It does look like a lot more people are more interested in creating effects now (there were a ton of people creating effects before, but not nearly as many as there are now).

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Seems to be a fashion for... can I say, hipster styled magicians at the moment? Some of the young guys have got amazing skills but I'm struggling to find anyone without a sleeve of tattoos. Or wearing a pair of shades despite being inside :D
Yeah, you are thinking of the Ellusionist gang. Chris Ramsay (he left, but still), Daniel Madison, Adam Wilber, Etc.
Ellusionist tries to be the edgy modern day magicians.

I've seen magicians change a lot throughout the years my favorite has always been Bizzaro.
But I remember first starting and hearing fancy decks are a waste of money and you should only use Bicycles, but now EVERYONE is using really nice looking cards. It happened around the time as monarchs, and since then I've noticed most magicians are going from kind of a Blaine style magic to a fancy style *cough* Shim Lim *cough*

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Yeah, you are thinking of the Ellusionist gang. Chris Ramsay (he left, but still), Daniel Madison, Adam Wilber, Etc.
Ellusionist tries to be the edgy modern day magicians.

I've seen magicians change a lot throughout the years my favorite has always been Bizzaro.
But I remember first starting and hearing fancy decks are a waste of money and you should only use Bicycles, but now EVERYONE is using really nice looking cards. It happened around the time as monarchs, and since then I've noticed most magicians are going from kind of a Blaine style magic to a fancy style *cough* Shim Lim *cough*

I used to think the fancier the cards the better. But I now have a dozen or so of those types of decks I can't even bring myself to open! lol Nevermind trying Angle Z or getting someone to sign a card.
I stick with Bicycles... easier on the wallet to destroy.

Reactions: 010rusty
Jun 18, 2017
So I'm assuming you are familiar with new popular magicians like Dynamo, or even Derrren Brown (though he's been around for a while)?

I can say that there are a few hipster magicians, but for the most part I don't see them. Most magicians are a lot more casual now. Cardistry and flourishing has also taken a major stand in magic. It does look like a lot more people are more interested in creating effects now (there were a ton of people creating effects before, but not nearly as many as there are now).

I actually saw Derren Brown twice during my 'break' as my sister is a huge fan. Blew my mind.

Regarding Dynamo, apart from working with him on a TV spot as part of my old job, I haven't actually seen much of his performances. I'll check him out.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Get a subscription to Genii magazine. If you subscribe you get access to the past 70+ years of issues. The recent cover articles highlight those guys who are getting good press in the broader magic community -- not just the edgy types who appeal to the under 18 crowd.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Get a subscription to Genii magazine. If you subscribe you get access to the past 70+ years of issues. The recent cover articles highlight those guys who are getting good press in the broader magic community -- not just the edgy types who appeal to the under 18 crowd.
Oh I so wish I could convince my parent's that I'm not wasting my money on that lol

Some magicians just piss me off due to there performance style, but these end up being some of the more popular ones. Not all of us
u-18 yos like them ;)

Reactions: RealityOne

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Oh I so wish I could convince my parent's that I'm not wasting my money on that.

1. You will look forward to reading it cover to cover every month
2. The access to the archive allows you to read past issues - what else do you have to do for summer vacation?
3. You can use the archive to do research on plots, themes, moves, etc.
4. So you are reading, thinking and doing research.... only for $35 a year.
5. You can get Vernon Touch or Taislman or Lost Notebooks of John Hilliard for just $15 more

What parent could object?

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results