Why do you flourish?

Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
same as why do you do magic, but for the other poeple
Why do you all flourish?

visit this other forum to get the idea of what im really asking (because i am lazy)
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=6023

the same thing but instead of magic, why do you flourish?

i started flourishing about 3 weeks ago,,... and that i do for my own entertainment i really like flourishing although im not very good YET, but its kinda like dancing,.... except you can do it in public with you weirdo level not so high as if you were dancing,,,, lol

i really see it as a skill: persition, dexterity, perfect

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
3 weeks and you already have Lethal?
Wow.

Why do I flourish?

Because I takes skill...time and effort.
After seeing 3 kids at my school try to "out do" me by learning some tricks from YouTube I had to back off the tricks for a little bit.

I flourished and practiced/created my own magic tutorial.

While they were off doing "the greatest trick in the world" i was getting ready.

I came back with a bang...and called them on it.
I challenged them to a competition they kinda accepted.

I started with my take on the molecule 4 new york/tokyo. Then went on to do my ACR and then Stigmata.

All 3 of them did the "the greatest trick in the world" and the last kid flashed it and the people watching figured it out.

I think there is still a cell-phone video of it on YT but it might be gone.

So yeah thats why i Flourish.

-Brad

Sep 4, 2007
It's challenging.
It's eye candy.
It's fun.
It's interesting.
It's an artform.

There really isn't anything else to say about it.

Mar 2, 2008
Philippines
same as why do you do magic, but for the other poeple
Why do you all flourish?

visit this other forum to get the idea of what im really asking (because i am lazy)
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=6023

the same thing but instead of magic, why do you flourish?

i started flourishing about 3 weeks ago,,... and that i do for my own entertainment i really like flourishing although im not very good YET, but its kinda like dancing,.... except you can do it in public with you weirdo level not so high as if you were dancing,,,, lol

i really see it as a skill: persition, dexterity, perfect

Challenging.. And less dangerous :), compared to other extreme activities such as skateboarding, surfing, etc. And the best answer maybe is entertaining. Not only to yourself but to other people.

Sep 1, 2007
It's a cheap hobby, rather than something expensive that breaks all the time, all you need is a pack of cards... well, and the encyclopedia. also you can take it anywhere and have fun anytime, in a meeting, in line at a restaurant, at the movies, waiting for godot... pretty much always.

I don't flourish alot (I just play with card and figure out a cool cut, don't own any dvds or anything) but I do it cause its fun. It also adds to the magic.
My friends just pause and say its so crazy how I move the cards and actually enjoy it.

3 weeks and you already have Lethal?
Wow.

Why do I flourish?

Because I takes skill...time and effort.
After seeing 3 kids at my school try to "out do" me by learning some tricks from YouTube I had to back off the tricks for a little bit.

I flourished and practiced/created my own magic tutorial.

While they were off doing "the greatest trick in the world" i was getting ready.

I came back with a bang...and called them on it.
I challenged them to a competition they kinda accepted.

I started with my take on the molecule 4 new york/tokyo. Then went on to do my ACR and then Stigmata.

All 3 of them did the "the greatest trick in the world" and the last kid flashed it and the people watching figured it out.

I think there is still a cell-phone video of it on YT but it might be gone.

So yeah thats why i Flourish.

-Brad

HAHA! That is funny.

I flourish because I find it amusing...

Sep 1, 2007
Antartica.
Have always loved cards. Don't know why, but just aways have. I got into magic really young but then got out because of the whole "magic is gay" thing and social awkwardness middle/high school thing. But after a few years of college got back into it, which was about five years ago, and did actually purchase some cardistry stuff (Keone's ****...i know, but the interest was there.)

It wasn't until about six months ago that cardistry hit me hard and I started to flourish more than I did magic. I am still into magic at 26, and have started to get paid for it without even pushing myself in that direction. Actually I am getting flown out to Florida for an event next month and its all taken care of, and I am getting paid as well. Really weird.

Regardless, the reason why I do it is because it is a beautiful, kinetic, and still relatively new art form that everyone likes to see. Its an object that most people can connect with on some sort of level: they know what the object it, they have used that object before and know how it handles. And the performer takes that and goes above and beyond what the spectator can possibly imagine...we are still a pretty small community so the shock value is priceless.

I also flourish because it sets me in a different field from my peers. I am an actor mainly, and having "magician" on your resume is an eye catcher, but the word "cardist" gets them every time. Then the word of mouth comes in.

But lastly, I like a good and cheap hobby that I can fit in my pocket. Until last month I never owned an Ipod or anything, but had a deck of cards in my pocket and that deck would amuse me on the train on the way to work. Its fun, and it challenges me. I know you guys are awesome at what you do, and I am not even close to your skills, but I only compete with myself. The personal discoveries is what I flourish for. Something was unfathomable, but now obtainable and then successful. Its a mountain to climb wherever you are. It requires no batteries, and no cables. It is a simple and so complex because it is still just a deck of cards.

Lastly, its bad arse. Seriously, look at it...yup, its that bad arse. *

-Craig

*- "arse" is used in place of readers word of choice

More than anything I'm a magician. I mainly focus on cards, and this just seemed to intrigue me as much as magic did.

I haven't purchased any flourishing DVD's, just a few downloads. So, a lot of the flourishes I perform are from free turtorials or my own creation. I flourish as a way to become more comfortable with cards, as well as to find new and innovative ways to retain a certain order of the deck.

So, I would say I know about....10, maybe 15 flourishes that other people have come up with. I like to create my own, personally, it's a fun experimenting and playing around with different ideas, and it gives me an excuse to have a deck of cards in my hands ;).

-RA69

Sep 2, 2007
I just recently found out, why flourishes fascinate me so much.
Getting down the mechanics of a flourish is very satisfying, because a flourish presents a little challenge that you can overcome. Flourishes are not impossible even though they seem to be to laymen sometimes.

I think it is a hobby that satisfies men especially. Men like to occupy themselves with little details (have you ever seen a girl that is into miniature trains?) and perfecting them.

Flourishes are a great way to train you hand-eye coordination and being ambi-dextrous.

It also teaches you something about the acquisition of a better link between your brain and your hands.
While learning the last couple of flourishes (Mecka, Molecule four and Akira), I went to sleep after a short practice session and practised again for a couple of minutes after I woke up. Here's the thing: Our brain processes what we have learned during sleep. Sleep is an important factor in learning. What I found out is: I had a huge leap in "getting" the flourishes just by sleeping. I knew, that by the next day, I would be able to improve that flourish.

It is also fascinating to see, how we can ingrain a feeling for cards into our brain. Two years ago, when I started learning the card spring, I couldn't imagine being able to do it as well as I can do it now. Now it comes naturally. That is really cool!

Sorry for the rant! Thanks for reading this far!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results