Why I do what I do.

Aug 26, 2012
Bloomfield, Iowa
So, I doubt anyone really cares but I thought I would share this anyways.

So I was doing some magic for some people I met on campus today, it was pretty relaxed not like a performance but more like a buddy showing their friend a trick. I did a variation of here then their and they all laughed and said it was awesome and what not but then this guy spoke up and said he knew a trick and asked if he could see my cards. (He is lucky I was rocking my bikes and not something I care about more) So I handed him the cards and he proceded to do a trick, I am not sure what it is called but escentially you pick a card, put it on top, the cards are cut, and they deal cards face down claiming they will stop when they think they have your card. Then they deal past your card and stop at a card you know isn't yours and they say something like, "The next card I flip over will be your card" and just when you think you have won he flips your card over in the pile of misfits.

Now everyone laughed and stuff because they had been tricked but I don't think they were nearly as impressed as I was. Here is this guy who just learned a key card trick in his spare time to do at parties but for some reason it really made me so happy. I felt like I was in on such a big secret that no one else in the world knew, and it really made me remember why I got into this craft. Not to fool people, not to meet new people, but to make them feel like I felt today. To make them feel like they were part of something magical and to take them out of their crappy world of quiz's and take them somewhere where the unreal is possible, if only for a moment.

I just wanted to share this with you in hopes it would remind you why you got started in magic, even if it wasn't for the same reasons. Feel free to post any similar stories I would love to read them.

Jul 22, 2013
California
I totally get this. My uncles (both of them) do the exact same trick as you described the guy doing, and I always laugh and we have fun with it. Afterwards, though, they kind of sigh and hand me back my Monarchs because I'm the 'real magician' haha. But I always feel like it's so cool that they introduced me to this world when I was a kid (with the exact same trick), and now I have learned so much more than simple parlor tricks.

DCS

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2013
LA
A few months ago I did trick for a few people at a table in my cafeteria. After it was done every did a small clapped and when on eating and talking. One of the gentleman there tapped me on my shoulder as I walked away and he whispered "I saw you flash a card a bit, I don't think they notice. next time hold the card towards yourself a bit more." the way he told me was so genuinely nice I was blown away normally when I have made visible mistakes I have had people jump at the chance to embarrass me and whatnot. I know the two stories don't really relate as much but, it felt like this guy use to or is a Magician and was passing down a good tip instead of throwing me under the bus.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results