Why I love being a magician.

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
I live in England in the lake district. I needed to meet up with some friends across the other side of Bowness (a little town) and on the way I passed so many bloody tourists and ice cream shops I eventually decided to get some ice cream. I only had 10p, having just spent all my money on a new brick of bikes (finally!). I went in and I believe the conversation went something like this:
"What's the cheapest thing you sell?"
"Well you can buy a single flake for 20p..."
"What's next cheapest thing?"
"Single cone for £1.60"
"OK well I haven't got any money, but how about I show you a magic trick and then you can decide whether it's good enough to deserve a free ice cream."
He looks at me weirdly - a bit suspicious I suppose - then
"OK"
"I'm going to do something you won't be able to figure out - I want it to be worth it for you..."
"OK"
I stretch my neck and rolls my shoulders a little, as if I'm getting comfortable, then...
...I shut my eyes, reach up and slowly pull a 3.5" nail out of my nose. I blink a little, wipe the nail, tap it on the counter. It's real.
I walked out of that shop with a free ice cream, a nail and a big smile.
Tell me your stories. Any stories. You will all have one.
Probably.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Me and Marc Oberon strolled into a very high class Indian restaurant called Anoki in Nottingham after one of our December gigs together...

Someone had mentioned that we were magicians and as we were the last one's left in the restaurant they asked us to show them some magic and they'd "look after us;)"

So I broke out the spoons and Marc got his "key" on and did a quick little show and had a nice chat with them, we walked away with a free £100 a head meal!!

It was very good too - I recommend that place to anyone!

D.

Jan 30, 2009
I was in a "final interview" the other day for a job (not magic) I basically was going to get. She asked what my hobbies were and I mentioned I was a magician. Her freaking eyes lit up like I had just finished an effect and the reaction actually shocked me a little. Apparently she's a David Blaine fan.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Nine years ago in my first interview for a teaching job...the question was...
"What makes you so different than any other person wanting to teach in my building...what else can you do or do you have to offer our children?"

I told them that I was a magician and that I knew that I could use magic in the classroom as a motivator to help kids learn and have fun while doing so.

They were speechless and then got VERY excited. It was funny to see two principals look like two little kids sitting at the interview table...ha ha. Needless to say I got the job and now I do magic tricks EVERY Friday for my homeroom. Only the kids who have not had any behavior issues and have turned in all assignments for the week get to view the trick. Talk about motivation.

May 17, 2008
Me and my Class went on a week long trip to Quebec,Canada and we went to a suger shake on my birthday(cause we were there on my birth day). My teacher had told the peaple that owned it that I do magic so I got up on stage and did a 10 card routine mixed in with a little coin routine (and I had no idea this was going to happen). So when I was finished the entier rpoom was cheering and the guy that owned the place gave me 2 liters of maples syrup for free!

Indiana.C

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
A couple of friends and I cut class one exam day and drove to waffle house(an old country style diner)
This sweet old lady was serving us food and I decided to leave her a big tip
I pulled out a dollar and showed it to her and the performed TWISTED by Daniel Garcia.
Silence first.
..she let me have the whole chocolate pie that they had just made.
It.Was.Delicious.
Best pie ever.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Speechless

About a week ago some friends invited me to a party and wanted me to perform for them....in exchange for some free boos'...yay me!...anyways i decided to freak them out...i performed my version of wayne houchins thread...but with a twist...i used one of the effects from "Wounded"..(from papercrane productions) namely crying tears...and pulled the thread out as my eye was leaking blood...i had 1 girl faint an left evry1 speechless!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I was hanging around with some friends at this club called "Aqua" here in Mexico, when my brother told me that I could try to get some girls attention by doing some magic at a near table, first I wasn´t so willing to do it because when I perform for a girl that I like, my hands get sweaty and shaky but everything went OK, but some guys at other table watch me and when I realize I was perfoming at every table in the club and each time I got free drinks and tips.... needless to say, I got for me and my friends like 100$ in drinks and 50$ in tips...

...And I wasn´t supposed to perform that night, I just wanted a good time with my friends (which I had and drinks and money as a bonus).

so what´s you guys think?

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
It was summer time, I was on a train in downtown Tokyo. I was sitting down (not too full of a train, or else I would be standing.)

At one of the stops, a girl gets on the train and stands near the door, funny I think, since there were plenty of seats. (She was about 28-30). I noticed she was crying. . . and not just a little sniffle of a cry, she was crying crying... like tears were visible. Not sure why, I didn't know the reason, didnt need to.

Since it was summer, I had actually just purchased a brand new hankerchief to use to wipe sweat from my brow on the trains... I hadn't actually opened it yet so I came up with an idea. I was actually getting off the train in two stops.

I unpacked the hankerchief, took out a 1000 yen bill (about 10 bucks, no biggie), folded it into a rose (Origami is a great thing !). About 1 minute before I got to my station, I walked up to the doors preparing to get off, turned towards the girl, showed both hands empty, took out the brand new hankerchief and gestured to hand it to her as I said, "この綺麗な女性の泣いている姿を見ると、僕の心が痛くなる” which means, "It breaks my heart to see such a beautiful girl cry. Then right before I gave her the hankerchief, I pulled it back, and produced the rose from within it in a magical gesture. I handed them both to her, got off the train, and didnt say another word.

She waved out the door and said thank you (in Japanese of course) with a very comforted voice.

I guess It wasnt just a good day to be a magician, it was a good day to be a decent human being.

Unluckily for the ladies of Japan, they hard to come by sometimes =(

Dec 29, 2008
GA
I live in England in the lake district. I needed to meet up with some friends across the other side of Bowness (a little town) and on the way I passed so many bloody tourists and ice cream shops I eventually decided to get some ice cream. I only had 10p, having just spent all my money on a new brick of bikes (finally!). I went in and I believe the conversation went something like this:
"What's the cheapest thing you sell?"
"Well you can buy a single flake for 20p..."
"What's next cheapest thing?"
"Single cone for £1.60"
"OK well I haven't got any money, but how about I show you a magic trick and then you can decide whether it's good enough to deserve a free ice cream."
He looks at me weirdly - a bit suspicious I suppose - then
"OK"
"I'm going to do something you won't be able to figure out - I want it to be worth it for you..."
"OK"
I stretch my neck and rolls my shoulders a little, as if I'm getting comfortable, then...
...I shut my eyes, reach up and slowly pull a 3.5" nail out of my nose. I blink a little, wipe the nail, tap it on the counter. It's real.
I walked out of that shop with a free ice cream, a nail and a big smile.
Tell me your stories. Any stories. You will all have one.
Probably.
I don't hustle people for free stuff.

D

Deleted member 2755

I don't hustle people for free stuff.

I second that. Using magic to be above everyone else isn't exactly ethical.

Anyway, I'll stay on topic though and put up a story later.

-Doug

Jan 18, 2009
Unethical? .60 off from a ice cream and most people would do something to get the ice cream, magic or w/e.

The place I work at currently is a major leader for nylon and round slings for the south. Basically threaded stuff that picks up like 100x in its weight and I am 17 and all the guys are like 25 and up. They all like seeing my magic and everybody is trying to catch me. I learned card to mouth effect about a week before and decided to try it out on 12 of the guys. It was kinda hard to manage an audience that large for an effect that is angle sensitive but luckily I gathered them and made them a challenge. Simple ACR and they were blown away and finally made them a challenge for my misdirection and when I completed the move everybody was laughing at me for messing up big time, when the biggest heckler looked up it was like being in a room full of drunk sailors, so much cursing was going on that I couldn't tell if they were upset or they were blown away. Needless to say they always look at my mouth now and then to see if there's a card there.

Once me and my friend were in a competition and I told him that if he could find the red ace in a 3 card monte I'd give him twenty bucks. so we did it and he found the ace. Now, I am a man of my word and forked up the twenty but then asked if he wanted to try again double or nothing. He said sure and I did it agan REALLY slow. He thought he was all cool and pointed to a card but when I flipped them over they were all blank. I got my twenty back and he was so freaked he gave me an extra 10.

Me and my Class went on a week long trip to Quebec,Canada and we went to a suger shake on my birthday(cause we were there on my birth day). My teacher had told the peaple that owned it that I do magic so I got up on stage and did a 10 card routine mixed in with a little coin routine (and I had no idea this was going to happen). So when I was finished the entier rpoom was cheering and the guy that owned the place gave me 2 liters of maples syrup for free!

Indiana.C

Sugar Shack is BOMB!!! I love that place. Me and my friend spent 200$ each on maple syrup and had a drinking copetition with it in the place.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results