Why I Love Magic

Mar 4, 2018
Today I had a gig at a university that was about an hour drive out for me. I have to say it was one of the most unprofessional experiences I have ever had with event coordinators. When I got there, the coordinators did not greet me and show me around. They were already having activities going on in the room I would be performing and I sat outside the room waiting for them to finish. They then announced me about to perform without them ever even knowing I had arrived. When I go to eventually meet the coordinators they didn't allow me any space or time to setup. They also did not mention that this would be more of a parlour show rather than a small close up performance that I was expecting. Needless to say I was pretty frustrated with the event coordinators and I think it showed in my face and demeanor.

But when I actually got into performing and interacting with my audience, I quickly forgot all my grievances and started to enjoy myself. I was getting great reactions on all of my routines and it was easy for me to feed and build off of the energy of the room. And yes even my razor blade swallowing bit was met with people freaking out and applause afterwards. I'm still not impressed with the event coordinators but in the end I still had a great time performing.

I think even the worst day of being a magician is better than the best day doing anything else. I have worked plenty of office jobs but no job has ever given me the sense of fulfillment and accomplishment from doing a good job like magic can. I think it's because I use the audience's engagement and energy and use that to boost my own performance where as other jobs I can't do that.

I just thought I would share with you guys and get your thoughts on why you love magic.

Aug 15, 2017
Today I had a gig at a university that was about an hour drive out for me. I have to say it was one of the most unprofessional experiences I have ever had with event coordinators. When I got there, the coordinators did not greet me and show me around. They were already having activities going on in the room I would be performing and I sat outside the room waiting for them to finish. They then announced me about to perform without them ever even knowing I had arrived. When I go to eventually meet the coordinators they didn't allow me any space or time to setup. They also did not mention that this would be more of a parlour show rather than a small close up performance that I was expecting. Needless to say I was pretty frustrated with the event coordinators and I think it showed in my face and demeanor.

But when I actually got into performing and interacting with my audience, I quickly forgot all my grievances and started to enjoy myself. I was getting great reactions on all of my routines and it was easy for me to feed and build off of the energy of the room. And yes even my razor blade swallowing bit was met with people freaking out and applause afterwards. I'm still not impressed with the event coordinators but in the end I still had a great time performing.

I think even the worst day of being a magician is better than the best day doing anything else. I have worked plenty of office jobs but no job has ever given me the sense of fulfillment and accomplishment from doing a good job like magic can. I think it's because I use the audience's engagement and energy and use that to boost my own performance where as other jobs I can't do that.

I just thought I would share with you guys and get your thoughts on why you love magic.
A thousand reasons mate...but the most important reason I could think of right now was the fact that it is the only form of art (I use the word art very loosely right now) where the performer displays vulnerablility.

In a dance or singing performance, the performer holds SO much power! I mean, THEY choose what to do, THEY choose what will happen, and it is only THEM who can influence the show, it depends only on THEM whether the show succeeds or not.
A magic performace on the other hand has so many other factors which, even if the performer has practised intensely, can ruin the show. I mean, the audience can actually come and take part in stuff that happens and it depends LARGELY on what the audience does. And this feeling that the audience gets, that they (the audience) ARE a valuable asset for the magicians at that moment, that they are not just dummies sitting there to applaud, these feelings actually establish a much better rapport between the magician and the audience than between other performers and the audience.

Then there is the sense of unpredictability. This feeling is the one that makes life worth living. It is the same feeling which makes magic worth performing.

That is what I like best (and sometimes hate :) ) about magic. The unpredictability and the vulnerability that shows even though magicians are the ones who control their audience more than any other type of performer.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Needless to say I was pretty frustrated with the event coordinators and I think it showed in my face and demeanor.

Although I suspect you have already read it, there is great advice about this sort of stuff in Maximum Entertainment. From your post, it sounds like the coordinators were completely unprofessional.

Often it helps to assume that whoever hired you doesn't have a clue of what they are doing. When I do parlor performances, I'm a bit of a pain in the neck before the performance making sure the performance space is what I need. I've done walk-throughs of spaces, told them to move tables, checked the sound system, etc. You can't rely on the professionalism of those who have hired you. If you present it as "let me make your job easier by telling you what I need" your "demands" are often welcomed.

I think it's because I use the audience's engagement and energy and use that to boost my own performance.

There is that amazing feeling when you know you've connected with the audience. I draw so much energy from the audience. Part of it goes back to 2 of Tamariz's 7 Veils - love magic and love your audience.

Mar 4, 2018
Often it helps to assume that whoever hired you doesn't have a clue of what they are doing. When I do parlor performances, I'm a bit of a pain in the neck before the performance making sure the performance space is what I need. I've done walk-throughs of spaces, told them to move tables, checked the sound system, etc. You can't rely on the professionalism of those who have hired you. If you present it as "let me make your job easier by telling you what I need" your "demands" are often welcomed.
Unfortunately the woman I had been communicating with wasn't even going to be there that day. She emailed me just minutes before I had arrived that she wasn't going to be there and some other people would meet me there. They didn't even allocate time for me to come in and set up, they just announced that I was up next when I hadn't even entered the room. I just overheard them as I was waiting outside. When I asked what should I do about setting up they looked stunned and asked if everyone should leave the room. I knew that would ruin the experience so I just left the room and tried to do any kind of setup outside. It was very frustrating but at the end of the day I don't think it hindered my experience, but I won't be volunteering to do anything further with this organization.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Yikes. Kudos to you for pulling off a great performance under those conditions.

It is a good idea for any performance to have a checklist that you send to the person booking you. From a stage show, to a parlor show, to a kids show to walk around. Present it to the person as "for my performance, it would be helpful if...." My list includes:
  • How early you will arrive to set up
  • How much space you need to perform
  • How you want tables and chairs arranged (if you have control over that)
  • Under what conditions you will need to use a PA system
  • How long your show will be
  • How you want to be introduced
You should also have a list of questions:
  • How many people will be there
  • What are the ages of the people attending
  • What is the size of the room and where will you be positioned
  • How people will be seated
  • What is happening before, during and after your performance (are you before a meal, will waiters be serving dinner, are you after cake at the kids birthday party or competing with the 80s tribute band)
  • Is alcohol being served
  • Is there a PA system, does it have or can it accommodate a lavaliere microphone or headset microphone
  • Is there an ability to play music through the PA system

Reactions: RickEverhart
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results