Why Is Magic Important To You?

Jan 28, 2015
Hey everybody!

I'm interested in why magic is important to you.

What got you started, what has it taught you and what keeps you interested?

Please feel free to share your stories.

Thanks!

Magic is important to me because it has been a huge part of my life since 1989 when I was 12 years old when my Grandma taught me my very first one which was the classic 21 card trick. I was amazed by it, begged her to teach me, and once she did I was hooked on learning magic ever since.

I used it to help cope with being bullied, it helped me escape and took me to another place or sometimes I'd bring a deck of cards to school and do a few tricks and for those few minutes while performing I felt accepted.

With that being said, magic has taught me over the years the value of astonishment.

It's a healing force that can make someone having a bad day forget their problems if only for a moment and put a smile upon their face and wonderment in their heart.

Grandma passed away 7 years after teaching me that first trick that has sparked a life long dedication to this art. And although it has been 25 years since that day, I still perform a version of the 21 card trick in honor of her and to remind me of the wonder I felt that day because the #1 thing magic has taught me is that if I am preforming for an entire audience or for a single spectator that it's not me vs them, instead it's both of us on a journey discovering the wonders of magic together, and not apart.

|| Steven

Reactions: Umbelino
Feb 7, 2015
It's a healing force that can make someone having a bad day forget their problems if only for a moment and put a smile upon their face and wonderment in their heart.

Just this.

I always perform my tricks first to my Gf, and every time I can do it well and she doesn't get it she yells "I am going to seek out the internet on how you did that!" but, in fact, she never does it. I think that this means something. I think that not knowing about how something works in this world of science and numbers makes people happy. Of course they know it is just a trick but as my short experience lets me know that they want to believe it's not.
And for me, looking at my loved ones and seeing them happy is all I need to be too.

Bonus: Cardistry is important to me because it helps me a lot to control my anxiety. I am a nervous person and do cuts and cuts and cuts with a deck of cards while waiting, watching tv or whatever. Leaving my hands free is just something that my brain needs to not go mad.

Even more, I like both of them because they make me special. I don't mean anyone that practices cardistry and just one magician. Honestly, it feels so good that your passion makes you different and unique!

Reactions: Steven Lafitte

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
My twins brought be back into magic. I can't remember exactly why I got into magic when I was 10. But I was in a bad place when my kids brought me back in at 30. It was all due to a home science kit that touted itself as 'wizard science'. vinegar and baking powder explosions, glow in the dark powder, color tablets; and they REALLY latched onto the idea that they were doing magic. After seeing this, I started hunting down some of the magic tricks I had as a kid and I fell into the rabbit hole and haven't looked back.

It's also something that I've used as a way to cope with PTSD. Especially since I've had a hard time obsessing about things and hobbies that later become unhealthy (namely, diecast car collecting, Legos, Disney stuff. If the kids had a remote interest in it, I made it my mission to make sure they had their interests covered and then some). My goal now is to become a children's hospital magician because of the positive impact it can have. Of all the peoiple who need magic in the world, children in a hospital rank very high on the list.
Like Steven said, there is a healing aspect of magic whether you're the one performing or spectating. And it can be a very powerful force if you put the right amount of effort and focus into what you're doing (Read Teller's Lady and the Rose).

Reactions: Steven Lafitte
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results