Why is that ant flying?!?

Aug 15, 2017
Sorry abt the title...just a random thought.
3 questions...
Am sure you guys must have seen the effect where a chosen card is put in the middle of the deck out jogged and then VISUALLY jumps up a few cards, and then a few, and then to the top. What is the name of the effect?
Also...
Royal road is kinda the basic Bible of cartomancy (gr8 use of fancy words there ;-) ). So is there any principle there I can get a visual trick out from? Tbh... I now want to do tricks which will take a few moments and are extremely visual., WITH the things begin completely examinable-unless there's a way to come out srsly clean after the trick. Royal road suggestions pls :) :)
Finally...
Bobo's work is the basic foundation for coin magic, and probably, royal road is that for card magic (though I don't think that magicians actually call it so). Is there a similar GOOD basic book for street magic? Like the one where not only beginners, there is a good amount of effects for 'amateurs' and maybe one or two for the almost pro kind too?

Have a great day :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Am sure you guys must have seen the effect where a chosen card is put in the middle of the deck out jogged and then VISUALLY jumps up a few cards, and then a few, and then to the top. What is the name of the effect?

This is referred to as a "Visual rise". Aaron Fisher's The Graduate, Chris Kenner's Schwifty (I think), and Dan & Dave's Uzumaki are the ones I studied to create my own version.

Royal road is kinda the basic Bible of cartomancy (gr8 use of fancy words there ;-) ).

Cartomancy is the art of telling fortunes from cards. Not really what you learn in Royal Road. Read the book, see if any of the tricks in the book appeal to you. You are basically asking us to read the book for you, and tell you what to learn. If you want to be a magician, learn to love reading, studying, and practicing.

Is there a similar GOOD basic book for street magic?

I assume by "street magic" you mean Blaine style, guerilla magic, where you walk up to strangers and perform some magic. The traditional meaning of "street magic" is busking. Either way, you're looking for close up/standing magic. The problem being that it covers so many different kinds of magic that I can't even begin to make a suggestion. Mark Wilson's is a great place to start learning magic in general, and that can help you narrow down what you're going for.

Reactions: Theris
Aug 15, 2017
This is referred to as a "Visual rise". Aaron Fisher's The Graduate, Chris Kenner's Schwifty (I think), and Dan & Dave's Uzumaki are the ones I studied to create my own version.

Cartomancy is the art of telling fortunes from cards. Not really what you learn in Royal Road. Read the book, see if any of the tricks in the book appeal to you. You are basically asking us to read the book for you, and tell you what to learn. If you want to be a magician, learn to love reading, studying, and practicing.

I assume by "street magic" you mean Blaine style, guerilla magic, where you walk up to strangers and perform some magic. The traditional meaning of "street magic" is busking. Either way, you're looking for close up/standing magic. The problem being that it covers so many different kinds of magic that I can't even begin to make a suggestion. Mark Wilson's is a great place to start learning magic in general, and that can help you narrow down what you're going for.
Thanks about the suggestions mate.
And about the Royal Road thing...the thing is I am more up for quick tricks where, say, I don't have to count 7 cards in 3 rows and 5 cards in bundles and stuff like that (the Royal does not have such tricks, 'm just sayin'). And since, maybe my bad, I have not developed a good objective view of principles maybe, many of the tricks I am seeing on the Royal seem to me like 'Aww...that is not the sort of trick I'd really LOVE to perform' and I am afraid I am missing out on some really COOL principles and tricks because of this idiocy of mine. Because the tricks I want to perform, I feel, should require the minimum amount of brain power from the spectator, which simply put, should require them to do extremely simple things like choosing a card, cutting, telling to stop, etc...only a few times in the trick, not telling me a number and subtracting 9 from it and add 10 etc.(again, just as an example).

And that is what the RRTCM says as well right? When it says that the effect in essence must be simple, no matter how complicated the modus operandi is (I may have altered that point a bit)?

Just asking if there are some real cool principles on which I should pay attention to. After that I am pretty sure I will get both, the correct line of sight to envisage the effects and imagine different applications of it, and also I will be able to make my own effects in case I don't like RRTCM's way of doing a particular effect.

PS:-btw, thanx for correcting me about the use of the word "cartomancy"...I thought it just meant card tricks!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I still do a version of Poker Player's Picnic to this day. It eliminates the process of moving the cards around almost entirely and really streamlines it. But it means it's no longer "self working".

The thing is, if we tell you what to read, how are you going to learn how to figure it out yourself?

If we tell you what we think is valuable you'll never gain the ability to determine it yourself, which means you'll never innovate and create. You'll always be following someone else's path.

Forge your own path. Read the methods, ignore the presentations. Think about what's happening in those methods. Then think about an experience you want to give to your audience (Whether that's one person or a hundred) and look at the methods taught in the book and see if any of them can provide that experience.

So ... Maybe you come up with, "I want them to find a card in their own pocket." Cool start - then look at the methods and see what will allow you to accomplish this experience for the audience and start practicing to see if it works.

If you do this, you'll be creating magic unique to yourself very quickly.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Sorry abt the title...just a random thought.

To add to Christopher's list Ray's Rise is probably the first to do it. Chris Mayhew created the lazy rise which is similar. Riot by Dan Hauss is a nice version. The Rising by Nicholas Lawrence is a very fun practical and impromptu version. Lloyd Barnes created a version that has influenced many as well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results