Why is your card between to others?

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I think Aaron Fisher put it best- "laymen dont care about sandwich effects, only magicians do" it was something to that effect. I would argue Search and Destroy is one of the best sandwich effects. Reason being that the problem with sandwich effects is that they lack the emotional hook for the audience. Search and Destroy gives them that hook.

Now sandwich effects look awesome on camera performed for the camera because that emotion to the effect is non-existent.

My questions-
Do you agree with any of the garbage i just spewed?
What sandwich effects do you like and why?

have a good one-
vintage

I think Search and Destroy is a very good trick, cause its participation and mystery. the magician isnt doing a , hey look what i can do, trick. its a hey look what you did good job!
also its one of the only sandwich effects that i would actually perform, because it can stand alone.
which is fantastic

Sep 17, 2007
That's a pretty broad generalization of sandwich effects... I've found many sandwich effects to be very effective on a lay audience.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
cameron francis-

Of the sandwich effects you do for lay audiences- do you patter them? some kind of presentation?

I just personally think that sandwich effects need something a bit more for lay audiences thats all.

to each their own

Mar 24, 2009
I think all sandwich effects are the same as all other types of effects, they are good if the are properly structured, if they are not they wont get reactions, search and destroy takes place in the spectators hands and they think that you take the cards only to display what he has done, they think you don't do anything with them, which makes the trick pretty much look like it appears in the spectators hands which gives the illusion that they have done all of it by themselves and that the magician hasn't in fact touched the cards, which makes the trick really well structured and therefore the reactions are good, you can say that showing the spectator what he has done to the deck gives you an alibi of touching the cards and people don't think that even if they know you are a sleight of hand pro you do anything to the cards which is the root of it being thought to be self working, self working tricks are always performed in the spectators hands , just like search & destroy how ever as stated by Aaron Fisher it is not...

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
I like S&D, apart from S&D I only have one other sandwich I love, one in which the user gets to put the two cards into the deck face up and there card is between them when spread.

Nov 30, 2007
Deja Vu gets me great reactions...as you can tell by my username I like the effect. In my mind it is a very hard-hitting effect.

May 3, 2008
The card is in between others because it looks nice. It just sits attractively in the middle. I only use sandwhich effects because most of them are simply eye candy for those times when they want to see a quick effect.

Aug 31, 2007
I do agree. I find that sandwich effects are kind of boring. Now don't get me wrong there are some great ones out there. I guess its a matter of preference.

-Rahat

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I think sandwich effects are just simply "Look at my awesomeness" tricks.

But i think Search and Destroy is a real winner. Mostly because it puts the magic in the spectators hands. Like Aaron said, "The sponge bunnies trick is one of the strongest tricks you can ever do. Every magician knows if they find a card trick as strong as the sponge bunnies, then they've got it made." or something like that.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Why is no one answering the question in the thread title?

Why is your card between the others? Eh no reason really. Most sandwich tricks are the same, tho they can seem different for people if you give them a decent enough reason for why the two other cards end up seeking out the other card.

One example you could use (if you know what your talking about.): is that the other two cards went for their card because of kinetic energy or something in that general area.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I dont like any sandwich effects honestly.I liked seeing Deja Vu on the trilogy but just because it was eye candy.
I dont like to use them because most of the plots are cheesy and/or silly.
I agree with aaron fisher's quote.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results