Why?

cesarmadera

Operations Manager
Team member
Aug 14, 2010
So I'd like you all to list your age and why you're into Magic or Cardistry. Some to it for a living while others do it as a hobby. Some may say it's an art form like any other while others believe we are all immature and need to move on from this phase as Magic is something for kids and we're wasting our times. (Someone spoke those words to my face and inspired this forum post.)

So why? Are we really getting anywhere with practicing this everyday? I mean, besides getting paid as some of us are, do some of you believe we're just wasting our times and should be focusing on more important things?

I'd love to hear your thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 18, i have been into magic for about 2 years. I just love being able to do something that amazes people. I love the expressions on peoples faces when they see something that they cant logically explain. As for people who think magic is a waste of time i have a question to them: Why is magic a waste of time? And how come your hobby/profession isn't? And no i do not believe we are wasting our time because magic is something that is tremendously important to everyone on the forums, and every magician period. I hope was a good response to your post. :)

To be successful at anything you must believe within the very core of your being that what you are doing is the best thing for you at that moment in time. Even if that changes the next day, what ever your current ambition is, you must believe that it's for the best. If you love magic, cardistry, mentalism, or what ever then pursue it with the firey passion of a thousand burning suns... otherwise enjoy so-so results.

So I'd like you all to list your age and why you're into Magic or Cardistry. Some to it for a living while others do it as a hobby. Some may say it's an art form like any other while others believe we are all immature and need to move on from this phase as Magic is something for kids and we're wasting our times. (Someone spoke those words to my face and inspired this forum post.)

So why? Are we really getting anywhere with practicing this everyday? I mean, besides getting paid as some of us are, do some of you believe we're just wasting our times and should be focusing on more important things?

I'd love to hear your thoughts

cesarmadera

Operations Manager
Team member
Aug 14, 2010
Thank you all, I guess I just became offended with a certain individual and need someone in my shoes to back me up.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I'm currently 14, and I've been interested in magic for the past 6 years. I simply do magic for the same reason why most people do magic, to amaze. I love performing for people and making their day brighter with just a few minutes of performing. I would love to pursue magic as a full time career and be able to support myself (and family in the DISTANT future)

So someone actually told you that you're "immature and need to move on from this phase because its something for kids and we're wasting our time". Well, don't let it get to you. I'm probably guessing this was an adult, mainly because most "kids" support their peer's dreams and don't really tell people their own age that it's just a "phase". We've all had critics, and the best way to change their opinion is to prove them wrong. Show them that you can make something of your magic. Practice hard, get out there and perform and get your name known around your area.

So the answer to your question is no. I believe that anything that can be turned into something fruitful and productive isn't a waste of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2011
I'm 15, been doing magic for about 3 years. I think magic is one of the most misunderstood art forms by the lay public. They have misconceptions that magicians have no life and make no money. So instead of trying to prove them wrong or dispute that issue, I simply never mention that I'm a magician and I never say that I do magic tricks during performance. I let the spectator take in the experience and they decide who/what they just saw. I do magic for the art and not for money. Magic is what people need, because so many people live their life with their mind closed off, or plagued by skepticism. I dont remember who said this, but it says alot about my style, "Better a mind opened by wonder, than one closed by belief" and Criss Angel said this one "Illusion is what you see, Magic is what you feel" I'm a big beliver in minimal scripting, and that silence can sometimes speak louder than words during performance. I dont do BS presentations. I present magic as an ability. I dislike hokey performances. I like to present magic as kinda supernatural, and sometimes like to present the darker side of magic So thats why I do magic. I know I'm gonna get some people who disagree with my style, but as Justin Miller once said,"If there's friction in what you're doing, you're headed down the right path" or something to that effect in one of his videos.
Peace,
-Jon

Jul 30, 2011
I am 19 and have only recently (8 months or so) started my hobby of magic and cardistry. I started because i saw some AWESOME videos on youtube of guys flipping cards around and their fingers seemed to be moving faster then humanly possible. These guys were dan and dave buck. I only do magic and cardistry as a hobby, however i think it is awesome that some people have followed their love and passion for it and made it a career.

To whoever told you it was a waste of time just kindly tell them they are wrong. If you love doing something its NEVER a waste of time. I for one also LOVE to collect and read comics. some may think that is a waste of time and money, but i love it so i continue to do what makes me happy.

I 'm 23 years old I have been into magic for around 6? almost 7 years? Either way many things can be called "immature" or the wrong thing. But if that was true what is the point of doing anything? Do what you want and enjoy it. Just don't make the mistake of judging others as some do to you.

Aug 11, 2011
I'm 28, and I've been into magic for two and half years (huge breaks, I began 10 years ago).
The thing that got me into magic was a friend who performed for me a basic trick with an Emsley count (Do as I do...). He was shaking like crazy, but I had no clue of how he did that thing. At first I just wanted to know how he did it. Then I developed an interest for performing.

I think people have a lot of misconceptions about magic and I do really believe it is our role to be good enough performers so we can change that.

I think that it is due to several factors :
- Magic isn't a direct art form : If you play guitar, you get a direct result and people can judge your skills in the very minute you started playing. If you see a painting, you immediately like it or dislike it (unless it is highly conceptual...).
But magic is about tricking the mind. It is a mixture of misdirection, technique, showmanship and psychology. Thus, people cannot really know what your magic is about unless they take the time to experience it.
- Magic generally has a bad reputation. People most often don't take it seriously until they see what it is really about.

Someone told me once : "So you're doing magic ? Oh well..." I knew then that the image she had in mind was that of a magic wand, a rabbit, and a deck of playing cards. I explained her that magic was basically a blend of science and psychology, but she was still thinking "Yeah, yeah, whatever".
I took a piece of paper and made her write down the name of a relative she was close to and I performed a lengthy cold reading on her, revealing things on her and her friend, their relationship and so on. It wasn't so hard as I knew her pretty well already, but it gave the impression that I knew tons of very personal things about her life.
It was basic and impromptu mentalism, but when I finished, she told me "How did you do that ?" with pure astonishment. I just answered : "I'm doing magic, I told you."

When someone make you doubt about the seriousness of magic, just try to remember that you are learning a whole lot more than tricks. You are improving your people skills, you are developing a sense of psychology, misdirection and entertainment. And you can almost be sure that this someone just doesn't realize that.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'm 33 and have been performing semi-professional for the past 3 years (practicing the past 12). I was bitten by the bug when I saw a close up magician vanish a silk in a Thumb Tip while in Myrtle Beach. I was 21 at the time and was blown away and felt like a small child again and couldn't believe what had just happened in front of me. They only other exposure I had at that time was watching David Copperfield's TV specials.

I knew this was that I wanted to show my classroom of students once I became a teacher and so the journey began and I haven't looked back. I show my elementary students a new magic trick each and every Friday if they turn in all their assignments and don't have any discipline problems.

This then created a monster and I began balloon sculpting as well for the students and now hold a course during recess.

I now perform at wedding receptions, corporate picnics, Christmas parties, and birthday parties fairly regular when I'm not teaching. Yeah I get the occasional, "You do Magic? Ha Ha...your and adult..."
That is until I show them so close up effects that blow them away and they stand there speechless and then say, "Dang..that was unreal."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results