Why?

Apr 14, 2011
Hey I was just wondering why a magician would teach another magicians effect on a dvd/download.
For instance, SMOKE is taught by dan white but made by alan rorrison. Or how MDX4 is taught by eric jones but made by some other guy. Just wondering.

Feb 12, 2012
Usually they are friends but they make a deal on it. Some times one doesn't want to be on film or sometimes it doesn't work out with filming, maybe one person is in the right place or has better access.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
As mentioned, some people absolutely do not want to be on camera. They get too nervous and cannot speak clearly or stutter. Other people are easily embarrassed and their face gets red. Or...once the cameras are rolling they get the shakes and cannot perform the sleights correctly. Trust me. I've filmed a few guys and it is more of a tedious process than one thinks. Rarely do you get an effect filmed correctly on the first take. The lighting could be off, the audio, mistakes by the magician, etc. It may take upwards of 8 hours to film a DVD.

Others know that they are a rookie or kind of a newbie in the magic field and if they let another "well known" guy who has established himself / herself that potentially more copies will be sold thus making them more money too.

Apr 14, 2011
Its weird because Rorrison appeared on 'Penn and Teller: Fool Us' so he's definitely not a newbie. Thanks for the answers!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I can understand not wanting to be on camera. I'm not fond of cameras myself. I'd probably have someone else teach anything I decided to sell. It's like having someone sponsor your product. KAOS did the same thing.

Also, it could be a time issue. Some working professionals are booked up for a long time. Maybe the company didn't want to have to wait for them to have the free time. Or maybe the person lives in another country and getting the proper filming gear back and forth was too much of a pain. Lots of possible reasons.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results