Why?

Sep 1, 2007
California
What does make you continue on with magic

Lately I have been questioning my self about whether I should continue or just end this. My mom is perfectly fine with me doing this but when I perform for her I freez up, but to my freinds I don't. Also I have just been really down lately

But I was just wondering,

"What Makes You Continue On."

Think about it.

Sorry to make you think about it and question yourself but, Good Night.

Oct 6, 2007
For me, it's mainly the reations I get when I perform. It's the greatest feeling to have people be amazed or at least entertained by your magic. It really shows that all he hard work pays off.

It makes me feel special too (not in a weird way). I have a speical skill or talent that not many of my friends have.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
It seems what is happening to you is something that would happen to me and my ex girlfriend. When I'd perform for my parents, I was fine. My friends, I was fine. But, when it came to performing for my then girlfriend and her family...I would shake.

Perhaps you have a subconcious feeling that makes you want to make a profound statement with your magic when it comes to your parents. Then again, I could be digging to deeply into this.

Anyway,

For me, it's the reactions I get. Also, I know that this doesn't directly go for you, but for me...when I run into a problem I don't look at it like a problem. I've learned to look at it like a goal that I have to achieve.

That might help for you too.

Shane K.

Oct 18, 2007
Hahah, the shakes. I have no problem performing for people I don't know. I'm 100% confident in what I'm doing and am very comfortable. But there's one person I admire the hell out of, and when she wants to see a trick and I go into one, I shake like I have parkinsons. For me I think it's psychologically about not wanting to fool them, lol.

Anyway what keeps me going is it's a nice hobby, there's always something new to learn, and there's always something to perfect. I also love the power it gives me, seeing those reactions as I shatter logic is worth all the practice I put into anything.

Sep 22, 2007
What keep sme going is the reactiosn i get. i love it when i hear "how did he do that?". To me it is the fact that i can make people question what they already know about life. Such as solid passign through solid. we all learn that it is not possible but for someone to make a solid pass through a solid in an instant and there are no traces of an opening, breaking or cuttinganything and no extra coins, nothing.....that is why i keep going to make people question what they know about reality.

What gets me and most people going is us aeeing or improvement. Remember when you couldn't do a rifle shuffle. You kept on practicing till you got better. Now when you look back you see how much you improved and you still can get better. When you perform to someone and you get great reactions you feel proud that all your hard work has payed off. That's what gets us going. The feeling that were getting better and our hard work is making our family and ourselves happy.

Sep 11, 2007
Houston TX
Girls and more Girls lol Magic gets girls thats how Got my g/f lol well and the power it gives you that you knowing something most people dont know and the reactions thats what keeps me going

PhilTheMagician

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Also I have just been really down lately

Could you possibly be depressed? If so, why? What has been bothering you? I have been dealing with depression for a while now, and I might be able to help. Just PM me and we can talk (if you want).

good luck.

Oct 10, 2007
Looks like some people have problems when performing for their significant someone.

I remembered performing magic to a girl I liked.
I did not feel any fear when I was performing. I had no room for fear in my mind back then. There was only one thing in my mind.

I just want to make her happy.

Nothing else is important.
It’s a very magical feeling. I had no fear of people figuring out the trick, no fear of messing up the trick, no fear of forgetting the patter, no shaky hands and no worries.

I just want to see the smile on her face.

She was laughing throughout the whole performance. And I was glad that I managed to cheer her up. Back then I thought I found the answer to my question.

“Why did I learn magic?”

“Because it can make her smile”

Now my answer is similar, but different.

"Why did I learn magic?"

"Because I can bring joy to her, and everyone else"

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
well in magic, you have to know what you want to accomplish. You have to picture yourself where you are, thats how you can get there. If you DONT have a picture of yourself somehow in magic, even if its to become the best magician or just to chill and relax, why do magic. And when you freeze, i've had that once, but then i thought about what i wanted to be in the magic bussiness so I started reading books, watching videos of bad and good magicians, and learning from them. Now i dont freeze up, unless i speak in my own language which i am not very good at ....=] When you feel down, just say to yourself, "why is it that I do magic." And if you have a good answer for it and you love it, it will help you get back on your feet. But if you dont know why you do magic, or if it is a bad reason, for me, i wouldnt want to do magic at all.
Hope this helps.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results