Wicked World of Liam Montier Volume TWO

The Wicked World of Liam Montier-Volume 2

vlcsnap-2010-08-29-18h54m57s131.jpg

Price: $26.25

Where: Penguin Magic

Review for Volume 1: Volume 1!

NOTE: The production, menu, performances, crediting, and teaching sections of this review are the same as my review for Volume 1.

Production: This is a Big Blind Media production so, as we have come to expect from them, the production quality is excellent. The graphics are not overdone or distracting and the picture quality is very clear. You can hear everything very well and the music fits the theme of the dvd. There is absolutely nothing to worry about in this category. It's a very well-produced dvd.

The Menu: There are just four simple options on the menu, which make for easy access. You can press Play All, Performances, Explanations, and Credits. If you press Play All, all of the effects will play in performance then explanation, next performance then explanation, etc. Of course all of the performances and explanations can be accessed on demand from the other sections on the menu, as mentioned above. Nothing to worry about in this category either.

Performances: All of the performances are done in a black studio with "psycho-bunny," which is played by David Forrest. You can see what all the performances look like from watching the demo. The bunny might distract some people who are a bit less tolerant to goofiness on magic dvd's, but personally I thought it was funny, entertaining, and much better to watch than some bored spectator who clearly doesn't want to be there.

Crediting: The crediting for each effect rolls across the bottom of the screen at the beginning of each explanation. This was a little distracting, but it only goes on for about 30 seconds at most, but you can still just rewind for those few seconds if you think you missed anything. I think I would've liked it better if the credits were at the end of each trick, like BBM did with Killer Gaft Magic (A great dvd by the way). Either way, the credits are clear, concise and they don't take up a long portion of the explanation, which I enjoyed.

Teaching: The teaching on the disc is entertaining and does what it's supposed to do; explain the effect. Liam often offers little tips or ideas to change the method and/or presentation. The ever jubilant Owen Packard accompanies Liam during the explanation and makes sure to ask questions that we, the viewers might have when watching the dvd. He also provided some entertainment and funny banter with Liam to make the explanation not so dry. I really like this format of teaching, and as a result I found I was able to learn everything with no problem.

My Rating System-

I rate on a scale of 1 to 5. It is broken down like this:

5-Awesome
4-Great
3-Okay
2-Bad
1-Awful

Now that you know the rating system, I’ll describe and give my thoughts on each of the effects presented on The Wicked World of Liam Montier Volume 2.

The Effects:

Measles: An "infected" card (It has spots drawn on the back of it with marker) is introduced from your pocket. Let's say it's a joker. You rub the infected back of the card onto the top of the deck. One by one you cause four other random cards to become "infected." With just a breath of fresh air, the spots vanish from all the cards, including the original infected card. It's a fun effect that uses a simple gaff that you probably already have. It makes the handling VERY simple and because of the routine structure, you can do this at anytime with any deck (as long as it's the same kind). It's not really a fantastic routine, but it's something you might get a kick out of doing, and your spectator's will probably have fun with. There's just a lot of room for fun in this presentation. That seems to be a theme in Liam's magic; fun. 4/5

Coin In Case: A coin is borrowed and tossed at a cellophane wrapped card case. The coin penetrates through the cellophane instantly. The cello is drawn off the case about half-way so it forms a little clear plastic pocket with the coin trapped inside. However, with just a rub the coin visually melts straight through the cello. With another toss of the coin, it visually penetrates into the cello chamber again. Everything can then be immediately examined. Although it is sometimes difficult to keep the cello wrapper on a deck of cards (As Owen points out), if you manage to do so, this is a nice effect that you can carry on your deck of cards without taking up any more space (Great for walk-around). The cards and case are totally useable too, because they have not been tampered with. The visual nature and repeated penetrations of the coin really convince the spectator that the coin is truly just somehow passing through the solid plastic. I can see myself, as well as a lot of other close-up guys enjoying this. 4/5

Little Miss Show: This is an extra sequence you can include in your ACR. Essentially a card has been selected, signed and placed back. You perform your favorite ACR, then at some point, the wrong card comes up. The card seems close enough to the real card, so you decide to make some little changes with a marker to the card. The card is rubbed and the faux card changes to the real card. You can continue on with your ACR or just stop there and give the card away. Personally I don't think it's worth all the trouble of going through one card every performance and ending dirty, and making sure your set-up is in place. IMO it's too petty of an effect to warrant me totally ruining another card for it. I must say that it is kind've a fun little piece of business though. For that it gets 3/5

Sock-It: A copper and silver coin are dumped out of a sock (clean, mind you) and the spectator chooses one. The other one is placed back into the sock. The spectator holds onto the ends of the sock and you slap the coin that the spectator chose against the sock and it penetrates through. Everything can be examined of course. I really like how much audience involvement there is in this routine. HOWEVER...you're using a sock! If you are working in a restaurant, people aren't going to want to touch your sock! They don't know what you did with that sock, no matter how good it smells at the moment. Plus, if people are watching from other tables, they're probably not going to establish a good image of you from seeing you make a spectator hold a sock. If you are working in a formal situation this could actually be a very funny piece. SO, the effect is clear and simple, and the use of the sock could be both a blessing or a curse, based on your performance venue. 4/5

Bandit: Cards are dealt one at a time face-down as you ask a spectator to stop you at any time. When they do, you deal off the face-down card and a face-up ace appears at the same time. This happens three more times until the aces and all produced. Then the aces are turned over to reveal that they have opposite color backs. This one was pretty bad IMO. The handling looks almost exactly like what it really is. There isn't much logic to it either. The whole idea just seems not really thought-out and a bit unfinished. What is the point of the spectator saying stop if you just end up producing the aces from wherever? Why do the backs change color? In addition, it seems like it looks the best from above, not from the front. In short there are much more better, logical ace productions out there. 2/5

(Look for Part two below!)

Smiling Queen: The old optical illusion where you cause a face to smile and frown is performed with a dollar bill. After you've had your hours of fun with that, you fold up the bill, snap your fingers, and you say you're going to make George REALLY smile. A spectator, or you, unfolds the bill and they discover that now George's face has somehow been modified (I'm being a little vague here because I don't want you guys taking the idea) to show George smiling a very big smile. I personally don't like way Liam does this, but I think if you got a little crafty with a pen you could make this less cheesy and less "gag-ish." It's a cute, impromptu-seeming effect that you might have fun performing for your friends with. 3/5

Sleeve Assembly: Three aces are placed onto the table in a row and the other is placed in your sleeve, so that it's still in view. The three aces are then each visibly placed into a packet of three other cards. The aces subsequently vanish from the packets and they all reappear in your sleeve with the ace you tucked away earlier! I LOVE this effect, method, presentation, etc. There is very little set-up and no extra cards are needed. When those aces all appear in your sleeve the audience is taken SO off guard. I have nothing bad about this effect to say. Just check it out, and I think you'll find yourself performing it often. 5/5

Corker: A small glass bottle with a cork in it is displayed. You take out the cork and it instantly and visually grows to a size that couldn't possibly fit inside the bottle. This is a fun little thing to do, however it seems a little "filler-ish" to me. I mean, if this was provided as a bonus little throw-away included on the disc then I think it would be fine, but to include it as though it is a full routine seems like it's stretching it. Then again, Liam does state that this is more of a throwaway item that he used to do as part of a bigger routine. Though, it seems like Liam should have provided some other routine to follow after the cork grows. I guess you can exercise your creativity on this one. 3/5

Card Deck Case: You shuffle the deck and offer to find the four aces from the deck. This feat isn't too hard, considering you show that they were tucked away under the case. You offer to do it for real though as you lose those aces back into the deck. You lift up the case and the aces have appeared there again. The aces are put into the deck yet again, but this time the whole deck vanishes and reappears under the case! I love routines like this where it almost feels like the spectator is just never looking in the right place, ala card under drink. This is a fairly short routine and quite a bit easier than the longer James Brown effect Box Clever, which bears some resemblance to this effect. This won't require near as much misdirection either. I think it is a really nice effect that I'll find myself using quite a bit. 5/5

Happy Monte: Basically this is just Color Monte except for a new presentation. Every move is the same (with credit of course), however Liam has made a presentation that feels less cheesy than the colored diamonds we're all used to. If you have three business cards and a marker you can do this routine right on the spot. I think it's a good routine and all, but I can't help thinking that it feels like something most anybody could have thought of it with a little creativity. If there was a variation in handling, it wouldn't bother me as much, but as I said it is the exact same moves. Credit is fully given for the original routine, however, and Liam does admit that it is based heavily on Color Monte. IMO it's better than the original Color Monte's presentation, but it still has that darn alignment move! 3/5

Only Joking: The four aces are produced from the apparently shuffled deck in several ways. Then you cause the black aces under the spectator's hand to change places with the red aces in your hands. This is a nice routine, however it is not impromptu and you need some extra things. If nothing else, he teaches a nice ace production sequence that looks like the aces just appear as you're mixing the cards. There are some nice visuals and it is pretty easy to perform. Nothing ground-breaking, but a nice way to get into a four ace routine. 4/5

Card Thru Bag: A card is selected, put back, etc. Then the entire deck is placed inside a clear plastic bag, which is sealed shut. You start to shake the bag gently and the selected card can be seen slowly penetrating through the plastic bag. You take out the card, rub the spot where it came out, and of course there is no slit or hole. Everything can be examined. This is a simple handling based on a trick most fairly experienced magicians probably know. However, the use of a plastic bag really increases the visual illusion for some reason. I think you could come up with some pretty good presentations for putting a deck of cards inside a plastic bag, as well (Crime scene evidence of a magician or whatever). Overall this is a really practical piece that I think many people will enjoy. 5/5

Overall: This second volume was not as good as the first volume IMO. That being said, I still found some good effects and ideas that I could use. Even though, as I said earlier, some of the effects like Corker and Happy Monte did seem a bit filler-ish, I think the good routines like Coin in Case, Card Thru Bag, Measles, Card Deck Case, Sleeve Assembly, etc. make up for it. Like the material in volume one, these are simple, practical fun effects that are very commercial. You're likely to find something here that you end up using. If you can only buy one however, I would get volume one first.

What They Say:

Enter the twisted but brilliant mind of the UK's Liam Montier. Famed for his inventive and ingenious solutions to every magical plot he tackles, this respected practitioner has a magical effect for every situation.

Like some mad inventor, Liam has the ability to take ANY object to hand and construct a fantastic routine. Across the two volumes of 'The Wicked World...', you'll find material using everything from cards, coins, bubblewrap, bank statements, lollipops, corks, business cards, socks, string - you name it, Liam will use it!

And what's even better, is that the stuff is EASY!!

VOL.2 CONTENTS
Measles
Coin in Case
Little Miss Show
Sock-it!
Bandit
Smiling Queen
Sleeve Assembly
Corker
Card Deck Case
Happy Monte
Only Joking