Wikipedia Exposure

Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_This_World_(card_trick)

I just came across this wikipedia article which exposes one of the most effective and classic plots of card magic. I find this disturbing, as it is very disrespectful to the art as a whole, and especially to the creator's whose well-being may very well depend on the money they make from these projects.

I feel like the magic community should come together to attempt to get Wikipedia to ban exposure of our art form. Perhaps we should start a petition or something of the like.

They are exposing effects on Wikipedia now? Granted this effect is really old and has been exposed numerous times but it scares me to think that an effect is now just a wikipedia click away. I guess the YouTube 12 year olds have now learned of wikipedia :rolleyes:

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
My edit so far:

In the first round of dealing face-down cards, all of the cards dealt will be of various colours in a situation that only the magician can know. Therefore, memorization is required, and a great deal of practice. It is up to the magician how he directs the spectator to deal which card into specific piles. To put other magicians off the scent, the cards are arranged in the opposite condition in the second half of the deck. At the halfway point, the pack switching occurs to right the whole stack, and bring the trick to its conclusion; the Prestige.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
If we can't prevent exposure on YouTube, I would imagine it to be just as difficult to prevent it on Wikipedia...Unless we all go in and edit the articles and post "fake exposures".

Id be up for it, but I would keep the original content intact as much as possible, but change around JUST ENOUGH so that it is completely feasible until you actually go an do it.

So it'll be less of a 'reading troll' and more of an 'in practice' troll. Get people to waste their time

Reactions: DominusDolorum

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Id be up for it, but I would keep the original content intact as much as possible, but change around JUST ENOUGH so that it is completely feasible until you actually go an do it.

So it'll be less of a 'reading troll' and more of an 'in practice' troll. Get people to waste their time
Too late, I've already saved my edit :p

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I have the book "The Best of All Worlds" which has a bunch of variations. My favorite variations are Roberto Giobbi's variation in Card College Light (which enables the effect from a deck that was shown previously as being shuffled), Eugene Burger's variation which is in Mastering the Art of Magic and Jon Armstrong's Out of this Blah Blah Blah in The Best of All Worlds. I can't confirm whether Giobbi's or Burger's variations are in the Best of All Worlds because the book has gone missing in my library (note to self, need to organize books by topic or magician / author). You can find a lot more variations here: http://www.conjuringarchive.com/show.php?cat=1652. None of the the variations don't look like the originals.

Actually, Wikipedia comes up as the fourth option after two websites and a Youtube video when I type in "cards dealt into two piles red and black." So the attention seeking Youtube exposure channels are more of a problem because I suspect people will look at a video before actually reading something.

Nov 10, 2014
I have the book "The Best of All Worlds" which has a bunch of variations. My favorite variations are Roberto Giobbi's variation in Card College Light (which enables the effect from a deck that was shown previously as being shuffled), Eugene Burger's variation which is in Mastering the Art of Magic and Jon Armstrong's Out of this Blah Blah Blah in The Best of All Worlds. I can't confirm whether Giobbi's or Burger's variations are in the Best of All Worlds because the book has gone missing in my library (note to self, need to organize books by topic or magician / author). You can find a lot more variations here: http://www.conjuringarchive.com/show.php?cat=1652. None of the the variations don't look like the originals.

Actually, Wikipedia comes up as the fourth option after two websites and a Youtube video when I type in "cards dealt into two piles red and black." So the attention seeking Youtube exposure channels are more of a problem because I suspect people will look at a video before actually reading something.
Maybe it's time for an Out Of This World fake exposure contest...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results