William ShaTNR

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Hey everyone!

For some reason, I keep coming back to methods for the Torn and Restored plot. This method was inspired by Jay Sankey's effect The Cardboard Contortionists. This is a little bit more angle-sensitive than my other attempts at this plot, but it's still totally useable and I like it because it's direct. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SkN-EArLE

Michael Kras

Hey everyone!

For some reason, I keep coming back to methods for the Torn and Restored plot. This method was inspired by Jay Sankey's effect The Cardboard Contortionists. This is a little bit more angle-sensitive than my other attempts at this plot, but it's still totally useable and I like it because it's direct. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SkN-EArLE

Michael Kras
Is underneath the table examinable? ;)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's a decent little trick, sure, but there's problems. At least with this specific video. First, I always say that anything done should feature your face. People are never going to remember you by your belly, hands or crotch (Unless they are unusually distinctive). I watched you perform and I couldn't describe you if I had to. That only matters if your goal is to be remembered, though. If you just want to show the basic execution of the trick, then this video does that.

To someone that knows TNRs, you give away the method in three places. When you do the tear, your suspicious change of speed (You suddenly jerk the left hand in an odd direction) gives that bit away. You very clearly do the get-ready for the restoration. And finally, the noise gives away the restoration. However, all of that is predicated on the person watching being familiar with TnR methods. I don't know if a common spectator would catch any of it.

Personally I dislike the amount of proving you do right after the tear and also right after the restoration. This probably has something to do with the fact that there's no actual presentation to this video at all. I suspect that is a reason for many people over proving in their performances. Without a presentation to focus on, people seem to focus on proving that they're not using trickery. Which is absurd because they clearly are and it puts people into the mind frame of methods. With a presentation it's entirely possible that you wouldn't feel the need to prove what is going on so much.

It seems like a much shorter version of Torn to me. Basically, it brings nothing to the table that hasn't been done before, and better (in my opinion). However, that doesn't matter if you're not thinking of selling it and/or you're getting the desired reaction out of it.

So, I guess the summation is: I don't like it at all. But my dislike of it is coming from my specific (educated) perspective and doesn't mean it's a bad trick.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Let me clarify, since ChristopherT raised the question: This video is purely for demonstrative purposes. I simply took out my camera, placed it on a table, and quickly filmed the effect. If I wanted to do the piece as theatre, trust me, I would have.

And credit where credit is due... Jay Sankey's 'Cardboard Contortionists' was my inspiration for this. In fact, it's pretty much just a streamlined version of it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results