Witness Presentation

Hey All, I was just wondering how do you present Witness when your performing? Do you do it Lee's way, where you show the "Wild Joker" and then do the change, or do you do it a different way. Or I suppose a better question would be, how do you present the card in the plastic bag.

When I first performed this I did have the Joker in the bag and I used the patter along the lines of a prediction, but then I reaslised, no one ever picks the joker, in all the card tricks Ive seen. So I swapped it for the King Of Clubs, or something like that. Then I present it as a prediction that has gone wrong.

Your thoughts?

Cheers, Tom

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
ive only done it once and i did it like Lee showed in the DVD. obviously with different gestures and wording.

presenting it as a prediction gone wrong is a bad idea i think. you are not gonna predict anything it is a card change inside the bag.

its like when i saw a clip of cyril predicting a card for 2 or was it 3 people and on the 3-4th he was wrong but visually changed it with a distortion like effect. i think it wasnt that good of a way to mix em up like that.

ive only done it once and i did it like Lee showed in the DVD. obviously with different gestures and wording.

presenting it as a prediction gone wrong is a bad idea i think. you are not gonna predict anything it is a card change inside the bag.

its like when i saw a clip of cyril predicting a card for 2 or was it 3 people and on the 3-4th he was wrong but visually changed it with a distortion like effect. i think it wasnt that good of a way to mix em up like that.

Well there is no set way to present the trick, at the moment the prediction thing is working for me until I find something better, at the moment I dont like going straight into a card change. I need to find a reason why there is a card in the bag, and not just whip out a bag and say watch *bang* changed. (Obvviously I know you have to build up the change, but I just dont like that patter)

Why is the prediction gone wrong idea bad? As DG said, there is no such thing as a bad idea.
Cheers, Tom

Sep 1, 2007

When I first performed this I did have the Joker in the bag and I used the patter along the lines of a prediction, but then I reaslised, no one ever picks the joker, in all the card tricks Ive seen. So I swapped it for the King Of Clubs, or something like that. Then I present it as a prediction that has gone wrong.

Your thoughts?

Cheers, Tom

I think one of the main strengths of the routine is that the card in the bag at first has nothing to do with the other card. They are completely unrelated, and you bring it out as part of the effect, but honestly when I do the trick, nobody expects the card to end in the bag. That is what gives the trick the punch. It is very odd to see a card in a bag (it is kind of random). But it kills when they put the card back in the deck and the card in the bag visually changes into their selection. It is best to be done for several people at the same time, and I honestly would never do this trick to only one person or even two people. Now, I personally enjoy the look in their faces because the whole time you have not seen their card at all, and the joker in the bag transforms into their selection, but not only that, it happens on A DIFFERENT SPECTATOR'S HANDS. That is the strongest moment of the effect. I am all for changing effects and adapting them to your style, but to be honest, the whole prediction gone wrong effect rubs me the wrong way. It is better when you it really looks like you fail and you have conviction that you can make it up, as opposed to the audience figuring out almost immediately that you will rectify your mistake by doing something magical (that last sentence may not have made much sense... sorry...).

Juan.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
i have no legitimate reason for thinking it is a bad idea. i prob just dont like predictions. well its just an opinion and you asked for it. im not attacking you and your ways.

but i guess you can use the prediction to explain the bag.

just go like they pick a card

you tell em you predicted earlier what they would pick

bring up the bag and ooops its wrong

you go like "didnt think i really could predict did you?"(the prediction is just a joke to explain the bag)

then you tell them that you can change the card inside the bag to their card.

do the trick and they are amazed i guess.

witness can be paired with distortion as well i think

like after you done witness, you can show how the card changes by doing distortion.
i dont have distortion but i guess it might work.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Put a blank card in the bag with all of the numbers 'A 2 3 4 5....J Q K' and draw the suits on the card and say something like 'i wrote your prediciton on a blank card earlier...would you like to see it?' you're of course right.
then change it in their hands from a blank card that represents every card down to theirs...

an idea i stole from the 'glass' trailer at E.
:)

Aug 31, 2007
I have never performed Witness/Deuce Bag before, neither do I know how it is done, but I was thinking of introducing your weird card-in-bag-prop in a comedic kind of way. Maybe, something like you keep your lunch in your lunch bag, and you take it out and there's a card there. "Right, you can see my obsession with cards."

Then do the trick.

- harapan. magic!

Put a blank card in the bag with all of the numbers 'A 2 3 4 5....J Q K' and draw the suits on the card and say something like 'i wrote your prediciton on a blank card earlier...would you like to see it?' you're of course right.
then change it in their hands from a blank card that represents every card down to theirs...

an idea i stole from the 'glass' trailer at E.
:)

ooo I like that idea, I might have to try that one.

Cheers, Tom

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I think my favorite idea so far is just to use a blank card, nothing on it, and have it transform into their card. As soon as I get a blank card, I will try it on an audience. Other than that, I perform it the same way Lee does, with the presentation and certain sleights altered to better suit my needs.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results