Working Tricks Out?

Aug 31, 2007
UK
You figure out the method to an effect without the assistance of additional material ie the original learning source.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't usually invest the time trying to reconstruct methods for tricks that I like. If I like the effect enough to want to use it, I'll buy the publication. If I don't, then I won't.

if the method is obvious from the preview, then I would go so far as to say that it aint worth the money.

I don't usually invest the time trying to reconstruct methods for tricks that I like. If I like the effect enough to want to use it, I'll buy the publication. If I don't, then I won't.

if the method is obvious from the preview, then I would go so far as to say that it aint worth the money.
Fair enough.
I would probably agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela

and if the trick hasnt been published?

Mar 24, 2008
If you figure out the effect from simply watching a demo one time then I would say good job! However if you watch the same video over an over and over etc... Then I would say that would lead you into more of a gray area. If I like the effect enough to try and reverse engineer the effect then I buy it. If its a simple move / with a different handling then I use I do not.

However let me make this VERY clear. If I figure out an effect from watching a demo and preform the effect in public even one time I BUY IT.

-Altrez

If I see an effect and its good AND I couldn't figure out the method the first time, I most definitely reverse engineer it. Its like being posed with a problem and then coming up with a solution.

Many professionals put in a lot of effort to develop a signature effect and for professional reasons they don't want a host of other ppl to perform it. If one wants to include such signature effects of other performers in their own professional repertoire then its best to ask for permission from the creator.

The late Jack Parker had once uploaded a video performance of U.S.D.I. and that really intrigued me. So I worked it out ( not entirely but in principle ) and was more interested to learn the turn over switch he used. So I PMed him asking for the source of the switch. He never replied. Don't know if he was offended by idiots like me figuring out the process if not the technique.

Anyways don't lose sleep over the fact that you work out effects. Its but natural for humans to do just that. Ppl always try to work out the solution to puzzles.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results