World Travel and Magic

Oct 9, 2010
Denver, CO
So a little less than year ago I was inspired by Jamie D. Grant after receiving his puzzle box with the Banksy themed Send Wonder deck inside. The deck had amazing photographs of the original send wonder campaign bottles that were dropped off around the world. I realized I wanted to try and travel the world and "send wonder" my own way by performing magic for people. I wanted to document my adventures and experiences by recording the different communities and cultures reactions to my magical performances. At the time I didn't know how it was gonna happen but decided anything is possible and to try and make it happen. Now almost a year later and I have a saved a large chunk of money for my travels.

My plan is to travel for around 3 months and hopefully go around the world. Right now my general idea is to start my trip by flying to LA to goto the Magic Castle (probably a good place to start my magical trip/journey)! From LA I am thinking of flying to Thailand as I have a friend in Krabi that I can stay with. I figured I would travel around Asia for a bit and then head to India. After India I was thinking of flying to South Africa to check out the College of Magic (learned a bit about this place from some of the attendees at IMX2011 and was intrigued). During a chat with Daniel Garcia at Magic In the Rockies he said that Portugal had an amazing magic community/scene that I should for sure check out so that got put on my list of places to visit. If I was in that area of the world I would probably hit up Spain as well. After that I figured I'd fly back home. This is just a rough travel plan and has changed about 20 times since the original idea!! Friends of mine that have travelled a lot have said to choose 4 or 5 countries for a 3 month trip in order to maximize my experience in each place so that is what I am aiming for.

I am asking the magic community for any ideas or recommendations for destinations and places that have a strong magical culture or outlook on magic that I should consider for my travels. I am sure there are amazing places to visit that I haven't even thought of! Also Asia and India are vast areas and having specific towns/cities to visit would be nice instead of just guessing or hitting the main touristy areas. Any advice or suggestions on world travel would also be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Matt

P.S. Once i get it all my travel plans figured out it would be great to link up and potentially stay with any international Theory11 Members/Magicians!!!

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
Hey,

I returned from traveling India on December 23rd last year. It was the most incredible experience of my life thus far. I performed magic every where I went. A particular place that stands out for me, was a region of India, called Hampi. I met a man there, who a friend had met a couple months before, who loved doing magic tricks (such as the 21 card trick). I went to see him, did some ACR and sandwhich effects for him, he'd never seen a double lift before, so everything was magical to him. I left him with a deck of split spades and shared a few effects with him and he was incredibly thankful, it was a really emotional moment.

Indians love magic (its where the famous Indian Rope Trick was born) and magic has always been a big part of their culture, I 100% recommend India to travel. I may be heading back there in January, I'm torn between India and Sri Lanka.

I've just woken up, so this message is a bit all over the shop but any questions you have, just fire away :)

Lloyd

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results