"World's Best Card Trick"

Oct 31, 2007
So I keep running into this trick on youtube, and it's driving me nuts. It seems to be a pretty good trick but seeing it so many times kinda ruins it for me. Aside from it being everywhere on youtube, there are probably even more frickin tutorials for it as well. What do you guys think about it. Everyone I've seen it from calls it "the worlds greatest card trick."
Here's a video of the trick. If you are on youtube a lot you've probably seen it or a version of it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0mnTCJZpqF0

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
This is exactly like Voile Rouge from David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic Vol 1, very good trick, except David also has a different beginning, but I'm not even kidding the handling, and method, is exactly the same.

Dec 3, 2007
Denmark
This looks just like the trick called "The Chicago opener", just with swichted around colors. I remember Simon Lovell doing it, in his DVD, Million Dollar Card Magic. Very good trick the first time you see it.

Tjernobyl

Nov 30, 2007
Personally I don't get how everyone thikns it is so great when there are other tricks out there that are amazing.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
this was the first trick that I figured out without having to buy the trick... its sooooooo simple ;).... and i absolutely hate the people making the tutorials for the tricks.. but i cant figure out anything to do about it

Oct 31, 2007
True

Personally I don't get how everyone thikns it is so great when there are other tricks out there that are amazing.

I get what you're saying. I've performed this trick before and everyone who has seen it thinks it is awesome. Seeing all these videos just makes me feel bad doing it because I feel like I'm just another one of these guys I'm just not posting it on youtube. I think it's just not original anymore.

Sep 1, 2007
I thought the video linked in the original post is a pretty reasonable attempt at the trick. Voile Rouge is a variation on the basic trick (chicago opener/red hot mama) so there's no suprise there that they have some similarity ;)

I never got that excited by this trick until i saw Bill Malone's version on the "Here I Go Again" DVDs - not only does he really do something special with the presentation, he changes the nature of the trick right at the end to get what is effectively a transposition between two cards with different coloured backs. It's really very nice thinking and no extra effort.

Feb 11, 2008
Like some said above, it is known as Red Hot Mamma or Chicago Opener.

When Performed well, this truly is a great laymen effect. It's called Chicago Opener because it was notoriously the opening effect for many professionalls because of it's simplicity and it's entertainment value. It really does kill, especially when performed by Bill Malone, as already mentioned.
I personally feel it's stronger, not as a opener, but as a third or fourth effect if you are able to manage the odd backed card through 2 or 3 effects, that way the change is much more magical. If the audience sees a few tricks with all red cards then the only explanation is that the card must of really changed colors.

It's also one of the highest circulated tricks on Youtube which is sad, because that's not the place for this effect. The effect, like most pick a card routines, is designed to take the audience on a mini journey to find the second card. The first change is a surprise but it's about the psuedo- "magician in trouble" phase that makes the ending that much better. The performance above wasn't too bad but could've milked the middle phase of not finding the card a little more. The performance above isn't the best performance because he didn't have an audience. This is the issue I have with people doing magic for webcams. There are only select amount of effects that can play well in that setting. Pick a card effects are not one of them. But that's another discussion all together.

By the way there are many, many variations of this trick, so i'm sure David Stone's effect is just a variation if it seems similar. It's a very commercial, great laymen effect.

r29

Jan 23, 2008
this trick is soo stupid last year everyone in my school everyone knew it and did it i stuck with my stripper deck =D and few sleight of hands that i knew at the time

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results