XCM? Why the Name?

Jan 9, 2009
'tis possible that Jeff is even more keen to differentiate from the "Card Manipulation" which he is famous for.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
Weirdly, Jeff McBride calls it "XCM", even though he is clearly a well-schooled exponent of classic card manipulation. No real point to that, just thought it might be interesting.

I would say I'm fairly close to Jeff and can assure you he doesn't call it XCM. He mainly refers to it as Cardistry. We all had a discussion and jammed with Olmac and a few other guys from France, Spain, and Italy about a week ago. All talented and great all-around dudes.

Another problem with challenging the established ways of "XCM" is that any opposition or discussion is always dismissed as "hate" or "fighting", something that's quite upsetting.

-Andrei Jikh

Nov 15, 2008
I really hope this isnt an attempt to insult De'vo, because its not like you could do the things he does.

... Is doing the things he does involve being an evil dictator? Have you read his interview?

Even Mao Ze Dong was more subtle in speaking about communism compared to De'vo.

b+w

Dec 10, 2008
York, United Kingdom
I think by using the term XCM to an audience, it sounds as if the audience are already expected to know what card manipulation is in the first place.
I prefer to use the term Cardistry more as I think it sound more elegant and in some ways a more artistic sound to it. I have also noticed that say, whenever someone asks me what I do as a hobbie and I say, "Xtreme Card Manipulation" they just kind of don't give it a second thought as the name is sort of self explanatory.
What I love about using the term cardistry is that when you use this term in front of normal people they'll ask you, "I've never heard of that, what is it?" at which point I can take out my deck of cards and say " I'll show you" and demonstrate what it is. I think that this make people appreciate the art more both for difficulty and beauty because of this.

-Ben

ps- Had this thread been posted on Handlordz, it would probably have been closed and anyone who called the art Cardistry would have been banned.

Jan 9, 2009
I would say I'm fairly close to Jeff and can assure you he doesn't call it XCM. He mainly refers to it as Cardistry. We all had a discussion and jammed with Olmac and a few other guys from France, Spain, and Italy about a week ago. All talented and great all-around dudes.

Another problem with challenging the established ways of "XCM" is that any opposition or discussion is always dismissed as "hate" or "fighting", something that's quite upsetting.

-Andrei Jikh

Thanks for that Andrei! First hand info :)

I think you're right, it's the conotations of the phrase and the baggage that comes with it that probably burns away at some of us, I know it does me.

"UnknownMagician93", I beg of you, please don't turn this into any sort of arguement. We're trying to discuss these in a sensible manner.

De'vo wouldn't want you spreading "hate" to other forums surely!

-Dave

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
A lot of great posts here which echo a lot of my opinions. And hey I was quoted in the first post with my thoughts, so whatever :)

But thought I'd point out also... like you already said, XCM is pretty obviously more of a marketing focused term, which I don't think is good for the long term life of the art. XCM is just a brand.

I introduced the word "Cardistry" for the art because I thought not only would it apply now but it would apply 5, 10, 50, 500 years down the line. As pointed out in my quote in the first post, you can prepend words to "Cardistry" to specify what kind you do. Like "Xtreme Cardistry" if you really want.

A possible downside is, unlike flourishing and XCMing, it's hard to turn "cardistry" into a verb. You could use "flourishing," but it's weird because the definition of "flourish" is generally an add-on instead of the main focus of something. But other words like "karate" or "martial arts" don't turn into a verb either. You practice karate.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I'm kind of stunned by "extreme" being still usable for the youth. I can recall 8 years ago seeing Mickey Mouse's eXtreme fruit juice in the cereal aisle.

And even predating that, having a good laugh with my friends about just what "extreme" meant when a marketer used it. Despite that happening back in the 90s, we can still start telling those same jokes and all know exactly when it happened and what it meant.

And then before that even, "Revolution X". A tired old band who had fallen into near-obscurity came back into the public eye. They told everyone they were the voice of "Generation X" and starred in a totally extreme video game to prove it.

I know I'm getting old, and so I'm just waiting to see the kids reject the word "Extreme" the same way that speaking like a character from Valley Girl has gone out of style.

Dec 25, 2008
Malaysia
For me, there was really a period i really called it as XCM, i think this is because there are some confusion between XB and XCM, people that are fresh in this field might not be able to call it cardistry because of the confusion, plus, cardistry is more a general name.

But... thanks to theory11.com, i found out what im actually doing is call "cardistry" rather than XCM, XCM... it just sound cheesy...:D

Cheers

Jul 13, 2009
Now that I think about it, wasn't this the time when "extreme" sports where very poplular television wise. Like BMX, Skate boarding and so on so forth, You know Tony Hawk era?

Oct 16, 2009
I really hope this isnt an attempt to insult De'vo, because its not like you could do the things he does.

are you sure he cant do anything that devo can??

c`mon we get alryt you like de'vo .. and i like you too :D but c`mon stop defending de' unless your getting paid..
no matter how hard you try you cant stop them hating the guy.. and for those who hate him ..

"why"?

Jan 9, 2009
Come on ya'll, stop crying "hating"

This stuff should be in the public sector, De'vo would have it all hidden and hushed up.

If people decide to bash, that's their problem, but everything that's done deserves to be held up to the light for everyone to see.

Jul 13, 2009
I think Obama should add public display of disgust about people on the internet a hate crime. People certainly are acting like it is.

Unkown all though you are correct (As far as I know) even though no dirt is found on someone doesn't mean they aren't the head of the shenanigans. Like Al Capone, people knew he was the center of a major organized crime group, yet they couldn't arrest him because they had no proof, were bought out, or threatened to keep quiet.

All the people who are saying, "people are hating" on someone; give specific proof of the hating. All that is here in this thread is a bunch of public opinion whether favorable or not, and finger pointing.

I for one em tired of people who see unfavorable post screaming "Hate, Bashing, Flaming" Most aren't anything more then an opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London

-Andrei Jikh

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of Mr McBride's nomenclature. However, I interviewed him at Blackpool in February and he definitely called it XCM then, and referred to contact juggling as a "Hand Sport". He said he's been a friend of De'vo's for years so I suppose it's only to be expected. This isn't meant to be a criticism in any way, but it just interested me that a classic card manipulator would use those kind of terms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
the name doesn´t really matter to me...I don´t care if it is called XCM, Cardistry,Flourishing... I just practice and try to come off with new things instead of arguing and have a forum fight (not here, here we have nice discussions) about the name.

stop caring about the name and go practice

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results