Xpand Review - Paper Crane Magic

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Xpand - Paper Crane Magic
Creators: Brandon David & Chistyrious

The Effect...What does the spectator see?
The spectator gets to sign their selected card which is then returned FACE UP to the top of the deck. The magician then VISUALLY SHRINKS the signed selection (which is still face up with signature in full) view to 1/2 of the normal playing card size. This is stunning and looks beautiful. Just as that resonates in their mind, the magician shakes the deck and the signed spectator's card RESTORES and GROWS itself back to standard playing card size. The card is then handed out for IMMEDIATE examination / inspection.

Price: $24.95 Includes DVD & Hand made mechanical Gimmick Plus 2 Extra items to change out your gimmick for other cards (nice idea for walk around) Very nice of them to include these.

DVD / Footage Quality: The video is shot in HD and the quality is super. There is a nice hip music track playing in the back ground throughout and the footage is crystal clear.

Run Time is 16 minutes which is a little short, but gets the job done. I would have liked to have seen maybe one or two more live performances, but that is just me being picky.

The Method / Gimmick: The method is AWESOME and genius. It really does create this illusion perfectly.

Can the gimmick be fixed or replaced after normal wear and tear? YES and very easily as well. It only takes a few minutes at most and will require you to purchase something extra for maybe $2.00-$4.00 at a local store. The gimmick provided should last you awhile. I would think well over 50 performances or more for sure.

My thoughts:
This is about as VISUAL as they come and especially since they get to see it face up with their signature on the card as proof.

How long will this take me to learn? You can probably have it down rather quickly in a day or so and practicing in front of a mirror for sure.

There is a little big of a setup and "get ready" at the beginning before the shrinking phase.I will be honest and say it has some angle restrictions but these can be remedied by your hand placement and body. I would probably only perform this for people out in front of you and not surrounded. It may even be a bit difficult with spectators close to your sides.

Overall it is a great effect and definitely worth giving it a shot. Once you have it down, it truly does look just like what you see in the trailer. Well done and very creative thinking.

Jun 1, 2009
I saw this and it looked really cool, just doesn't really fit my style it seems. I appreciate you writing up a review though!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results