You Do As I Do, daveygs magic V.S. PolyMon - Voting Open

Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
The voting is open for our battle of the simple beginner's trick "You Do As I Do." The idea was to put your own personal spin on the classic routine.

http://media.theory11.com/battles/battle.php?id=1107

I filmed mine in grayscale, or as I call it, "Daniel Madison style." For some reason iMovie added black bars on the top and bottom. The cards got cut out of the shot for a lot of the video which I feel could hurt my chances.

P.S. I know PolyMon technically violated the rules by including music at the end, but I let it slide since Nirvana is my favorite band.

If we saw more of your cards, we would have seen less of your totally epic hair, so I think that having the cards cut out actually gives you more of a chance to win! :p

Sep 1, 2007
Both performances were good. Daveygs video would have been much better if we could actually see the cards, but that really goes without saying. I voted for PolyMon because his patter made more sense to me. It seemed more natural. Daveygs, your's was interesting, but it didn't seem to flow as well as it should. Kudos to both of you.

Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
Both performances were good. Daveygs video would have been much better if we could actually see the cards, but that really goes without saying. I voted for PolyMon because his patter made more sense to me. It seemed more natural. Daveygs, your's was interesting, but it didn't seem to flow as well as it should. Kudos to both of you.

Thanks Tricky! My first battle's goin off to a pretty good start :p

Dec 16, 2008
Austin, TX
Holy crap! Daveygs, you hair is almost exaclty like mine! I bit more poofy, but pretty close! weird...

I actually voted for you, not because of your hair, but to me, you seemed more natural and smooth with your patter. Both were good performances, though.

Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
Holy crap! Daveygs, you hair is almost exaclty like mine! I bit more poofy, but pretty close! weird...

I actually voted for you, not because of your hair, but to me, you seemed more natural and smooth with your patter. Both were good performances, though.

That's definitely true. If you listen to my patter, you hear a bunch of "uhh", "yeah", "alright so uhhhh"
+1 to Daveygs!

Sep 3, 2007
daveygs: I voted for you because I liked the line about McDonalds. I remember hearing about that somewhere. Good job coming up with a way to use it. I PMed you about the Wayne Houchin lecture, hit me back.

Polymon: Aren't you not supposed to tell the spectator what happens? And if you want to avoid the spectator messing up their spread, spread your pack in front of them and let them spread their's in front of you so if they mess it up, it won't mess up the whole effect.

May 31, 2008
That's definitely true. If you listen to my patter, you hear a bunch of "uhh", "yeah", "alright so uhhhh"
+1 to Daveygs!

Yeah, I think it's pretty fair since you said "uhh" 100 times and the cards are never in the shot in my video. We both have one drawback.

May 31, 2008
daveygs: I voted for you because I liked the line about McDonalds. I remember hearing about that somewhere. Good job coming up with a way to use it. I PMed you about the Wayne Houchin lecture, hit me back.

Polymon: Aren't you not supposed to tell the spectator what happens? And if you want to avoid the spectator messing up their spread, spread your pack in front of them and let them spread their's in front of you so if they mess it up, it won't mess up the whole effect.

Thanks, maybe you should send that message again, because I didn't get it. Were you at the lecture or something and recognized me.

Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey

I don't think saying what's supposed to happen really ruins the effect, it's still amazing how both the performer and the specatator picked the same card. But thanks for the critisism!

Oct 22, 2008
I gotta say guys both of yours bored the hell out of me lol. Now I did happen to vote though... Davey i thought ur last do as i do battle was 5 times better cause i could understand everything at all times. This time it was almost like u were mono tone. Not trying to be rude. We could not see the cards at alllll.

Now PolyMon, yours was okay, yet I did not see much of an original patter going on with yours. It was just sort of the basic you do as i do routine. :( yet you did talk about hypothesis :D That gave me a chuckle. Anyway I did vote for PolyMon this time just because I thought about who's performance would be more amusing in say.. street magic what ever. Although once again davey i was thinking about not voting for this one, but I'm a nice guy lol.

-Jake

Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
I gotta say guys both of yours bored the hell out of me lol. Now I did happen to vote though... Davey i thought ur last do as i do battle was 5 times better cause i could understand everything at all times. This time it was almost like u were mono tone. Not trying to be rude. We could not see the cards at alllll.

Now PolyMon, yours was okay, yet I did not see much of an original patter going on with yours. It was just sort of the basic you do as i do routine. :( yet you did talk about hypothesis :D That gave me a chuckle. Anyway I did vote for PolyMon this time just because I thought about who's performance would be more amusing in say.. street magic what ever. Although once again davey i was thinking about not voting for this one, but I'm a nice guy lol.

-Jake

My original hypothesis was that you were gonna vote for me! :p
Thanks Jake :D

I agree with jake in that both vids were pretty boring, they both had their flaws. Davey's cards were cut out (although I know that wasn't your fault), and honestely, the black and white kinda made it look more boring than cool, but your patter was pretty good. PolyMon, the amount of "umm"s in your vid lost you points, although I do the same thing alot, getting over 'um' is hard to do, and also, the fact that we couldn't see your face was dissapointing as well. Overall though, I liked this battle because this is a trick that has to be done at least simi-live, and while it still would be cool to see some performances out in the real world, kudos to both of you.

In the end I voted for Daveyg, maybe it was because his awsome hair subconsiously told me to, or maybe it was because of his patter, but either way, I liked both videos, I really hope to see some live performances from both of you soon.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results