You might take something away from this!

Sep 10, 2008
Oh boy. Today, I went away from doing the simple "Magic Thursday" for the 2 or 3 people at my table, and went over to some people I didn't know very well. I started out with a simple ambitious card, thinking I would only do 2 or 3 tricks, so I could conserve more for another time. They ended up loving it, and giving me reactions that I had never gotten before. It started with about 7 people, and thanks to their ENORMOUS screams and reactions I was soon at the other end of the table with a crowd of 50 - 60 something High schoolers watching... all of them were screaming uncontrollably and I mean LOUD, just for a simple double-lift transpo and an easy, short "Gun" trick and biddle trick. Thats right, no knuckle busting visual magic that costs $30 for one trick.

Some kids thought that the way I shuffled and cut and held the deck was even MORE amazing than the tricks, which made me laugh. They were quite intrigued when I was just shuffling and spreading the cards.

There were some problems though, not mechanically, but I still haven't come up with a solid answer for "How did you do that?" or "Do It Again!" I used to say "It's magic but it didn't take very long for me to understand that most people know that magic doesn't exist, even if I do break through to the emotional thinking in their heads. Meaning they know that what I just did was impossible, but I amazed them to a point whereas they forget that and sort of come into a world whereas anything is possible, even if It's just a few seconds. Well, Darwin Ortiz explained that better in Strong Magic, but you get the picture.

Anyway another problem is, these kids are going to want to see MORE. I feel as if tomorrow and every day they will be like 'HEY! You're the magician!" Do another trick. Which isn't necessarily a problem, but they are probably gonna ask for another one directly after, and I really hate showing all of my tricks at once, as tempting as it may be. If I keep doing this, I will run out eventually, and being in all honors and 2 Humanities classes, it's near impossible to learn a good new trick every week. My question is, how can I deny showing these people tricks in a respectful way that doesn't make me look stubborn? Remember, these are High school kids. Freshman to seniors. Some of which may be respectable to my answer, and some who won't be. Also, if you have a TESTED answer to "How did you do that?" Feel free to post it here too. But this thread isn't just about those questions. Post anything you would like responding to my story or if you have been in a similar situation. Thanks for reading this far!

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Just turn them down. It's that simple.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm a sophomore in high school taking all honors classes and an AP class. The way i handle these situations is that i turn them down and then set another time. Say something like "Sorry, i'm too busy right now but i can show you a great one tomorrow at lunch."

What this does is it buys you time to come up with a new effect. Now the thing you have to remember is that you can create over 20 effects from just one trick. Just by changing the presentation. While you may have done the same trick before, if you change the presentation around, they wont remember it. Because people only remember the effect, they dont remeber exactly what happens in the trick.

For more details, check out my post on how to create new effects: http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=22720

Jun 12, 2009
The same thing happens to me. I am also a sophomore in high school and everyone would ask me to do another trick. All the time they would bug me for the rest of the day and i would simply turn them down and tell them that i would perform again next week.

Aug 13, 2009
I'm a sophmore in high school as well. I waited a few weeks hen started pulling the tricks out and amazing people. Had lots of fun :) but i started to realize what you did, so I cut back. If people ask me I don't give them a time, although I suppose I should. I just say not now, maybe later. Or next class (and then they forget). Either way it buys me time or it means I dont have to perform until I want to. And in response to when they ask how I did that, my favorite response is to smile and say "practice". If people pester you, then just stop performing all together. They'll get the hint. Then again people might have different opinions then me. :)

Jul 13, 2009
So these are acquaintances at school? If so if they ask for magic during school you just have to tell them I do not perform in school I am here to learn, but come by Thursday to see more. If you have problems with repeating effects just switch around your routine, have some effects you do not perform regularly and interchange them.

Say every night I perform at a restaurant once a week. I know these effects solid:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N etc.

On one night perform:

A C E then B D E for another table and alternate as such throughout the night.

On a Seperate night do:

FHJ GIK and so forth. I think you get the point, but outside just do what Kenner does and not perform off stage.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results