You Preference on the Glide

In most books and DVD's I see the Glide is taught using the left-fingers to do the action which I found quite difficult. I instead used my thumb which seems to work much better. I'm here to ask is there a reason that it's always taught with the left fingers? Is there any specific reason that makes the fingers more suitable? And also I want to know if anyone else does the Glide with their thumb instead of fingers. I see it as a matter of preference, but there may be a deeper solution within this. Please reply.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
I personally don't use my left hand to "glide"... I show the deck face up with right finger pointing... as I turn face down use my right hand to glide (bigger motion covers the smaller one). then square with left hand if necessary.

This is a pretty basic move so I don't really see this as exposure.

Sep 20, 2009
Is it necessary that you use a 'Glide' ? if you could think of a more 'Deceptive' Move i would employ you to use that instead as the glide is far from 'Deceptive'

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Is it necessary that you use a 'Glide' ? if you could think of a more 'Deceptive' Move i would employ you to use that instead as the glide is far from 'Deceptive'

Actually a move like the glide, when done properly and in the context of a routine, is very deceptive. Design for Laughter (from RRTCM) is a perfect example of a trick that utilizes simple sleights and can play very big for the right performers.

I never had a problem using my fingers for the glide so I don't know how to help, if your audience doesn't notice anything (movement, card sticking out, etc...) then using your thumb shouldn't be a problem.

Dec 26, 2009
Actually a move like the glide, when done properly and in the context of a routine, is very deceptive. Design for Laughter (from RRTCM) is a perfect example of a trick that utilizes simple sleights and can play very big for the right performers.

I never had a problem using my fingers for the glide so I don't know how to help, if your audience doesn't notice anything (movement, card sticking out, etc...) then using your thumb shouldn't be a problem.

Agreed. Design for Laughter was one of the first card tricks I ever learned and it is a perfect example of how to use the glide "deceptively". If you believe the glide isn't deceptive then I would almost bet on the fact that you have not given Design for Laughter a go in your repertoire.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results