You really have to be wordy sometimes...

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
So I performed PANIC! for the very first time to my friends at a coffee shop today. They were totally amazed with a face as such --> :eek:. They said that it's probably the most visual trick I ever performed to them.

Since the reaction I got was so great, I decided to show it to my mom when I returned home. While vanishing the deck, I said to her :" Now, I want you to watch the deck closely...". After the vanishing process was complete, I showed her the four kings and was expecting a good reaction; however, she didn't seem to be aware of what has happened. In other words, she is not amazed by the fact that the deck has vanished (or I should say that she didn't realize that the deck has vanished). So I asked her: " do you know where did the entire deck go?" and I pulled out the deck from my back pocket. Nonetheless, she didn't really catch the punch of the effect in general.

At the end, she said that she couldn't follow what I was trying to make her see... so I had to explain to her that, the kings was being put in the pocket, the deck was vanished, and became the kings, and the deck ended up in my pocket.

I rarely show magic effects to my mom due to the fact that she can't really understand what I'm doing unless I give her a detailed saying-what-I'm-doing type of explanation while performing. Or maybe she is just not interested; she can't follow since she's not paying attention.

Probably it would've been better if I tell her :" I'll put the 4 kings in my pocket. Now you see the entire deck vanish, and they now become the kings, and in my pocket, you'll find the deck, knowing that we had 4 kings in the pocket before we started trick, and now they transposed right infront of you, and......"
Generally, I guess people don't want you to be that much wordy because they can see what you are doing; but I guess that was what she needed.

So I want to ask you guys:

Have you been in the situation where your audience couldn't understand what you are trying to make them see after you finish performing? If yes, do you actually explain the whole trick all over again (just explaining but not re-doing the trick)? :)

( I remember that I have shown Stigmata to my boss; and all the other people who were watching were so amazed, EXCEPT my boss. She was like " Oh, the number came out....that's all?")

Last edited by a moderator:

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
So I performed PANIC! for the very first time to my friends at a coffee shop today. They were totally amazed with a face as such --> :eek:. They said that it's probably the most visual trick I ever performed to them.

Since the reaction I got was so great, I decided to show it to my mom when I returned home. While vanishing the deck, I said to her :" Now, I want you to watch the deck closely...". After the vanishing process was complete, I showed her the four kings and was expecting a good reaction; however, she didn't seem to be aware of what has happened. In other words, she is not amazed by the fact that the deck has vanished (or I should say that she didn't realize that the deck has vanished). So I asked her: " do you know where did the entire deck go?" and I pulled out the deck from my back pocket. Nonetheless, she didn't really catch the punch of the effect in general.

At the end, she said that she couldn't follow what I was trying to make her see... so I had to explain to her that, the kings was being put in the pocket, the deck was vanished, and became the kings, and the deck ended up in my pocket.

I rarely show magic effects to my mom due to the fact that she can't really understand what I'm doing unless I give her a detailed saying-what-I'm-doing type of explanation while performing.

Probably it would've been better if I tell her :" I'll put the 4 kings in my pocket. Now you see the entire deck vanish, and they now become the kings, and in my pocket, you'll find the deck, knowing that we had 4 kings in the pocket before we started trick, and now they transposed right infront of you, and......"
Generally, I guess people don't want you to be that much wordy because they can see what you are doing; but I guess that was what she needed.

So I want to ask you guys:

Have you been in the situation where your audience couldn't understand what you are trying to make them see after you finish performing? If yes, do you actually explain the whole trick all over again (just explaining but not re-doing the trick)? :)

Actually yeah, That happened when i did D.d.

And Please forgive me because i cannot remember the name.

it was on army of 52, The club in the middle of the 5 of clubs Prints over to the 4 of clubs..

Basically i did that and it took the lady a second to realize what had happened.

Yes...I've been in a similar situation. But it was at a cocktail party I was hired for, and half the people were totally trashed. LOL!

As for your situation, it doesn't sound like a problem with you in particular. Just your mom (no offense, not meant in a mean way). Maybe she can't comprehend something with just her eyes. She could very well be an audible learner (means they learn by listening, not watching).

Good Luck!
Steve

Actually yeah, That happened when i did D.d.

And Please forgive me because i cannot remember the name.

it was on army of 52, The club in the middle of the 5 of clubs Prints over to the 4 of clubs..

Basically i did that and it took the lady a second to realize what had happened.

The exact same thing happens to me a lot as well. You really need to tell them to look in a certain spot. That's the only trick I have trouble with, when performing. That and Synergy, it's hard for (my audiences at least) them to understand to remember the specific card and which position in the deck it is. Took like 8 tries with my dad before he understood it, I was about to scream at him, if he was joking or really didn't understand I don't know. But ever since then I've had to change my wording of the trick. No biggy but, once you learn something it's hard to adjust.

-RA69

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
The exact same thing happens to me a lot as well. You really need to tell them to look in a certain spot. That's the only trick I have trouble with, when performing. That and Synergy, it's hard for (my audiences at least) them to understand to remember the specific card and which position in the deck it is. Took like 8 tries with my dad before he understood it, I was about to scream at him, if he was joking or really didn't understand I don't know. But ever since then I've had to change my wording of the trick. No biggy but, once you learn something it's hard to adjust.

-RA69

Oh my god, SYNERGY....

I can't forget the time when I performed Synergy to my girlfriend's mother. First trial, she didn't remember the position of the card; second trial, she didn't understand why the fact that the card she was thinking of ended up in my pocket suppose to be something amazing!! :eek:

Oh my god, SYNERGY....

I can't forget the time when I performed Synergy to my girlfriend's mother. First trial, she didn't remember the position of the card; second trial, she didn't understand why the fact that the card she was thinking of ended up in my pocket suppose to be something amazing!! :eek:

Yeah I know I've had the exact same issues, it's either their blown away or just don't understand crap that's happening. I go through it slowly now and try not to rush them, that way they can hopefully soak in the trick, or something but that one frustrates me.

-RA69

Guys,

Alot of this has to do with effect selection and your ability to communicate the pertinent parts of the effect to your spectators.

It happens to me alot aswell. It happened once with Reset. However, I didn't blame it on the spectator being less intelligent or not being able to pick up on such things, I realized it was my fault, and went and re-scripted the effect, and made it better. I made myself better. I think you gus should take a look the same way aswell. Blaming any incident on a sectator is the easy way out for you to fel better about yourself as a performer. Truth is... even the best among us make horrid mistakes. But the worst mistake yet is not getting better form it.

-Chris.

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
Guys,

Alot of this has to do with effect selection and your ability to communicate the pertinent parts of the effect to your spectators.

It happens to me alot aswell. It happened once with Reset. However, I didn't blame it on the spectator being less intelligent or not being able to pick up on such things, I realized it was my fault, and went and re-scripted the effect, and made it better. I made myself better. I think you gus should take a look the same way aswell. Blaming any incident on a sectator is the easy way out for you to fel better about yourself as a performer. Truth is... even the best among us make horrid mistakes. But the worst mistake yet is not getting better form it.

-Chris.

You are right on that; however, we are not blaming that the audience is not intelligent but rather we were just stating out that this kind of situations happened to us before .

It may not be easy to tell whether a certain type of effects will fit the audience better unless you know your audience (i.e. familly or friends); but I admit that you can't use the same patter for different audiences even though it's the same effect that you are performing.

I personally want to know how people deal with that kind of situations (at that very moment). Do you actually re-explain the whole trick again?

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
You should've spread the cards and tell her that you have a deck of normal playing cards... and "watch" and bam the 4 kings.
It seems you need some practice on performing with words instead of just showing a trick to your spectator.

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
You should've spread the cards and tell her that you have a deck of normal playing cards... and "watch" and bam the 4 kings.
It seems you need some practice on performing with words instead of just showing a trick to your spectator.

Maybe. But I mean, those kind of situations don't happen all the time either.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results