You used your sleeves

Jan 23, 2018
Ok, I am 15 and I do magic all the time. Alot of time when I perform I get the old "I know how you did it, you used your sleeves". When in fact, I never do. My normal response is to take off my jacket and come back later and blow their minds. Or sometimes I agree with them and give them some sort of false explanation and tell them to watch closely. Then they start to contradict themselves. It is fun and I get a little bit of a laugh out of it. I was wondering how do you guys respond when someone accuses you of using your sleeves?

Reactions: 010rusty

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I would like to address one thing before I answer your question, if I may.

If you're getting these kinds of questions, it may because you're creating a situation where spectators are challenged to look for a secret. This can be because you are challenging them with your magic, or you are performing for people are not interested in seeing a trick. I am stating the latter because you said you do magic all the time, and people can become sick of that if you are consistently trying to do a trick for them.

I sometimes ask people if they would like to see a trick, yes, but I more than often wait for people to ask to be shown a trick. I would even wait until they've asked me a couple times, that way I know that they really would like to see something and will often, if not always, respond well to it.

Now if I were ever asked about using my sleeves, I would go into Sleeve Aces or Collins Aces, which I learned through Michael Ammar's "Easy to Master Card Miracles." I would prefer doing Collins Aces because I can do it after any Ace production and I know the trick so well I dont even have to look at the cards. This has the type of false explanation thing that you like, but in a playful way that provides justification for what you're doing and seemingly creates the magic.

Learn Here: http://worldsgreatestmagic.com/

Hope this helps you, and welcome to the forums!

-Andrew

Jan 23, 2018
I would like to address one thing before I answer your question, if I may.

If you're getting these kinds of questions, it may because you're creating a situation where spectators are challenged to look for a secret. This can be because you are challenging them with your magic, or you are performing for people are not interested in seeing a trick. I am stating the latter because you said you do magic all the time, and people can become sick of that if you are consistently trying to do a trick for them.

I sometimes ask people if they would like to see a trick, yes, but I more than often wait for people to ask to be shown a trick. I would even wait until they've asked me a couple times, that way I know that they really would like to see something and will often, if not always, respond well to it.

Now if I were ever asked about using my sleeves, I would go into Sleeve Aces or Collins Aces, which I learned through Michael Ammar's "Easy to Master Card Miracles." I would prefer doing Collins Aces because I can do it after any Ace production and I know the trick so well I dont even have to look at the cards. This has the type of false explanation thing that you like, but in a playful way that provides justification for what you're doing and seemingly creates the magic.

Learn Here: http://worldsgreatestmagic.com/

Hope this helps you, and welcome to the forums!

-Andrew
Hey, thanks for the response. To be honest I see exactly what you mean. In truth, I try to perform to different people but I never really go up and ask if they want to see a trick, 90% of the time it's normally someone that comes up to me and ask. The other times I show my close friends, but always a different trick or variation and they always want me to do another one. Yes, I guess I do create the situation for myself because I wear a letter jacket which can look suspicious. I think people often come to the conclusion because they are unsure of how. I should work on getting my tricks to seem more magical then just a trick. Also thanks for the advice, getting better is what I am about, and of course having fun while doing it.

Reactions: DominusDolorum
Jan 23, 2018
Along with what Andrew said, just make sure you're entertaining your audience, not making a puzzle for them to solve/

Also, why not just roll them up before the performance?
The reason for that is because of the cold weather I am wearing a hoodie and over that a letter jacket and because most my tricks are fast. I'm not saying it's a problem for me, like you said I can just take off my jacket. I was looking for something I can do if I do get accused. Thanks for your comment.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
When we present effects without anything except narrating WHAT we are doing, the audience's tendency is to try and figure out HOW we are doing it. Years of magicians doing magic as a puzzle plus shows like the Masked Magician, YouTube exposure videos and even shows like Fool Us make people think the point of a magic performance is the magician tries to fool the audience and the audience tries to figure it out. Add that to your age and peer group -- where everyone is competing for social status (being able to perform magic raises you up, figuring it out raises them up) -- those reactions make sense.

In response to "you used your sleeves," I would just say "I guess that is one way you could do it" and smile.

In terms of false explanations, I do like Wayne Houchin's performance of Paul Harris's Invisible Palm Aces (which is based the work of Larry Jennings).

That is on the True Astonishments DVDs and in the Art of Astonishment books.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Which if you think about it, if that was the actual method it's pretty incredible.
One time I pointed out that I was wearing short sleeves (after doing a routine with sponge balls and he accused me of using my sleeves) and he said I stuck it in my sleeve when I scratched my arm (which I didn't do).

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
One time I pointed out that I was wearing short sleeves (after doing a routine with sponge balls and he accused me of using my sleeves) and he said I stuck it in my sleeve when I scratched my arm (which I didn't do).
Lol the funny thing is, I've actually done that before :D! When I perform for kids, I hide sponge balls in folds or wrinkles in my sleeve, and retrieve them during the routine. I think I actually read that on the paper the Gosh Spongeballs come with.

Jan 23, 2018
When we present effects without anything except narrating WHAT we are doing, the audience's tendency is to try and figure out HOW we are doing it. Years of magicians doing magic as a puzzle plus shows like the Masked Magician, YouTube exposure videos and even shows like Fool Us make people think the point of a magic performance is the magician tries to fool the audience and the audience tries to figure it out. Add that to your age and peer group -- where everyone is competing for social status (being able to perform magic raises you up, figuring it out raises them up) -- those reactions make sense.

In response to "you used your sleeves," I would just say "I guess that is one way you could do it" and smile.

In terms of false explanations, I do like Wayne Houchin's performance of Paul Harris's Invisible Palm Aces (which is based the work of Larry Jennings).

That is on the True Astonishments DVDs and in the Art of Astonishment books.
Hey, thanks for the comment, I agree 100%, while it is fun to fool people, entertaining is more important so that everyone can have an all around fun experience. I will be looking into the dvds.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I am new to preforming but I don't get those comments often. probably because I usually don't have sleeves or they are already up. Ive had the comment "you can do all that without sleeves...?" comment a few times. I think its kind of the first place people go when trying to figure out how you did it. Whether or not you are setting up the trick as a trick or a puzzle there is always that one person who says that no matter what. When dealing with that person I usually just let it slide or if it is in a group and I am using coins there is the obvious false explanation in a coins across routine. I try not to placate them too much though or you will be giving them too much control and setting up a you versus them situation.

If I wasn't using my sleeves I take it as a compliment that they were fooled and now are just fishing for an explanation or trying to let others know they "know something".

Jan 23, 2018
I am new to preforming but I don't get those comments often. probably because I usually don't have sleeves or they are already up. Ive had the comment "you can do all that without sleeves...?" comment a few times. I think its kind of the first place people go when trying to figure out how you did it. Whether or not you are setting up the trick as a trick or a puzzle there is always that one person who says that no matter what. When dealing with that person I usually just let it slide or if it is in a group and I am using coins there is the obvious false explanation in a coins across routine. I try not to placate them too much though or you will be giving them too much control and setting up a you versus them situation.

If I wasn't using my sleeves I take it as a compliment that they were fooled and now are just fishing for an explanation or trying to let others know they "know something".
Yeah, to me if they are entertained and impressed, than I did my job. The only reason why I've got a few of these comments was because of my big letter jacket. Haha in a way it kinda adds that extra layer to it because when they really want to see it again, then I show them later without my coat on and it baffles them even more because there is no logical solution in their head which makes it easier to make it seem magical

Aug 15, 2017
Ok, I am 15 and I do magic all the time. Alot of time when I perform I get the old "I know how you did it, you used your sleeves". When in fact, I never do. My normal response is to take off my jacket and come back later and blow their minds. Or sometimes I agree with them and give them some sort of false explanation and tell them to watch closely. Then they start to contradict themselves. It is fun and I get a little bit of a laugh out of it. I was wondering how do you guys respond when someone accuses you of using your sleeves?
I have never been accused of that since I use super-secret-solution to this problem.
I
*drumroll*
roll up my sleeves.

Now you prolly have used this solution already, and if you still get that sort of question...let them think that mate! I personally don't think it take away much from the performance (or that is what my naive mind thinks).

Also, a tip...
The emptier your hands look, the better is the magic.
So if I am wearing a watch, I open that before I perform. I open any wristbands or rings I might be wearing. This sort of gives a 'nude' feeling to the magic (if you know what I mean) and makes it feel more raw and...basically there's nothing to hide!
Because you never know, people might blame my 15th century old simple leather watch for my ambitious card routine.
And I can't blame them to be honest...if I want to eliminate the possibility of a method, I will have to eliminate the possibility of figuring out a method.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
there is always that one person who says that no matter what.

No there isn't.

I point this out not to be a jerk, but because that mentality is a problem for developing your performances.

"There's always that one guy" equates to, "There's no benefit to improving because someone will still say these things."

And that's an insidious thought. That's the thinking that results in mediocre magic.

And the thing is, I don't ever get those kinds of comments. No one tries to guess methods (out loud) at my shows or close up performances. I believe this is largely because I have structured the performance and scripting in such a way to remove any kind of challenge or "Me Vs. Them" attitude that a lot of magic shows have. I make my audiences understand that this is a cooperative journey, and if they just listen to me and do what I say, they will get to have amazing experiences with me.

If people are consistently asking about methods, then something in the performance is telling them that their job in this moment is to figure out your method, and your job is to conceal the method from them. You have the power to change that interpretation.

Reactions: Theris

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
No there isn't.

I point this out not to be a jerk, but because that mentality is a problem for developing your performances.

"There's always that one guy" equates to, "There's no benefit to improving because someone will still say these things."

And that's an insidious thought. That's the thinking that results in mediocre magic.

And the thing is, I don't ever get those kinds of comments. No one tries to guess methods (out loud) at my shows or close up performances. I believe this is largely because I have structured the performance and scripting in such a way to remove any kind of challenge or "Me Vs. Them" attitude that a lot of magic shows have. I make my audiences understand that this is a cooperative journey, and if they just listen to me and do what I say, they will get to have amazing experiences with me.

If people are consistently asking about methods, then something in the performance is telling them that their job in this moment is to figure out your method, and your job is to conceal the method from them. You have the power to change that interpretation.
I'd like to respectfully disagree as there are just some people who can't enjoy magic and are looking for the method, regardless of the performance. They're usually hecklers and they're pretty rare, but it happens. Some people are just jerks and because they "know" magic isn't real, they ruin it for themselves and often the rest of the audience.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results