Your "Box" of Stuff

Every magician has one. A drawer, a box, a trunk, something that serves as an abyssal black hole that absorbs all of your magic props, tricks, and toys when you aren't currently working them to death in your every day routines.

Some of the stuff in there may be some real gems too! I just went through my trunk and found FreaKey, Smoke, and Glass. All three excellent effects that I just don't do anymore.

So that got me to thinking... What do you have in YOUR box?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I have a Lota Vase, The Thing by Bill Abbott, a Dove Pan, a large square circle production and a few other props that are collecting dust.
The Thing has not even been used in performance yet even though it was purchased 3 years ago. It was something I just "HAD" to buy after I saw Bill demo it. Ha ha.

Oct 14, 2012
Spokane, WA
I've got TWO different boxes - One to hold my collection of over 200 decks of cards. The other (my magic box) has over fifteen DVD's, the Tarantula by Yigal Mesika, the Raven, the Gecko, Chris Ballinger's Redemption, a Miser's Dream bucket, and my aluminum cups and balls set from MagicMakers. :) There's more, but I don't want to bother you with it. :p

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Liquid, I think Draven is referring to things that have not seen the light of day in a few years. Items you may have purchased awhile back and have practically forgotten about them. Not just listing the current things you own. Heck if we all did that I bet we'd have hundreds if not thousands of items listed here. I could be wrong but I think that is more of what William was referring to.

No Rick you're dead on. I'm talking about items that you saw and told yourself "I've GOT to own this!" You get it home, and for one reason or another it just never sees the light of day.

I've got a brief case that I keep my current show in, a book shelf or two with my familiar material that I can switch out for if needed, and a trunk full of stuff that I've never used. I was just kind of gobstruck to find that there's some good quality stuff in my trunk. X.x Like if I sat down and actually spent some time working with this stuff I'd have enough material to last me a few years before I needed to make another purchase!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Well I have a few books that I am slowly working my way through, as well as a few DVD's that I am going to slowly make my way through. But, yeah. I have bought into some of the hype when I was younger.. I stopped doing that when I realized I could save money (In the long haul) if I used it to simply take lessons and improve myself better that way.

I remember buying David Stones "Window". It was such an utter pile of tripe. The actual performances were just the exact same performances you got on the trailers, and the teaching was like 6 min long. Also the gimmick set was just completely impractical and useless.

Sep 1, 2007
A couple of bizarre magick books that didn't live up to the hype, some of Jay Sankey's one-trick DVDs. Andrew Mayne's Tear Down. Decent method, but I never found a time to use it. Liquid Metal turned out to be a bit of a waste of money. Before I could get any of the bends unique to the DVD performance ready I realized that doing only one or two bends and making a show of the strain was way more dramatic than twisting the fork into something that Salvador Dali would eat a salad with.

Jan 30, 2013
A magic hat with a SC for productions. I got it to do a joke rabbit-out-of-hat routine and then doing some more interesting productions with a TT and a few other gimmicks. Never actually used in performance - not even for my family, come to think of it. I have a daughter now that would appreciate it, I might take it out and dust it off...

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have a plastic bin that I put all my magic stuff into. The stuff I use and the stuff I don't. That way I always have to review what I have whenever I go digging into it to find what I need. There's a few things I never really developed though. Ninja rings, UI/Psypher, some tricks I 'won' at the magic club ... There's some magic DVDs that I never did the actual trick but I took some methodology from ...

I think this is a good system because it's hard to forget about stuff when you constantly have to look at it to get to your working material.

Aug 25, 2012
I have the old yellow bandana which is harious and still one of my favorites I just don't he a use for it anymore. I have stacked decks of cards around 200, I have my smoke gimmick which I don't use anymore I love the idea of it I just don't have a use for it. I have one of my gimmicked book tests which is fantastic, along with books and a few dvd's including some michael vincent dvd's and a stache of genii magazines! Along with my older magic books expert at the card table, royal road, 13 steps and some darwin ortiz.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results