Your Favorite Books on Magic

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
I'm going to be buying some books and need some help. What are your 5 favorite magic based books? The only stipulation is the book has to have been authored in the last 15 years. I already have most of the classics(aka Bibles of Magic). Thanks for you help.

---oh last 15 years...almost riddled off all the classics :p

Well I only have one in that time period, Totally Out of Control by Chris Kenner, unless you plan on picking up the DVD set I highly reccommend you get this book. I beleive there is a review on it here, so I won't bother explaining the content etc. (actually I'm 100% there is a review)

~PaCo

Oct 18, 2008
Hey, I would greatly reccomend:
- The Art of Astonishment set by paul harris
- Paper engine by Aaron Fisher
-Sanky panky by Richard Kaufman
- Totally out of control by CK
- 13 steps to mentalisim by Corinda

Theres a variety of books, from close up with cards, coins and ordinary objects, some mentalisim two:) and much more.

Hope that helps!

Robert " The Mystifyer"

Oct 14, 2008
"Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz

"Pure Effect" and "Absolute Magic" by Derren Brown

and The "AoA" series by Paul Harris

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, the stuff in The Paper Engine is performable - as with anything, you'll have to work at it, but I perform that stuff.

lol @ the last 15 years. If you're gonna buy books, why limit yourself by cutting out many of the best ones?

Sep 5, 2007
Hmm, how about Simon Says by Simon Lovell, or Simply Harkey by David Harkey? I'd also suggest the books of wonder of you don't already have them. Shattering Illusions by Jamy Ian Swiss is another good read, lots of fantastic/applicable theory.

Hope this helps.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I've got about 40 books in my library of magic, and my top 5 would have to be:

The Art of Astonishment books
The Vernon Chronicles Volume 1
The Essential Stewart James
By Forces Unseen by Ernest Earick
The 5 Points in Magic by Juan Tamariz

May 18, 2008
David Regal & David Acer FTW.

David Acer is a really nice guy and when he lectured at SEAM, he had to do it impromptu cause the stage was set up much differently. So for forty five minutes, he taught us stuff out of the book. Needless to say his books are incredible.

Dec 14, 2007
Many of these lists have books authored long before the 15 year time limit.

If one keeps to that limit (and limits oneself to books on "tricks" as opposed to history) I would offer Benson by Starlight, Professional Secrets, Book of Secrets, Books of Wonder, and I will reserve the last one on basic principle.

Now, there are many books that should be on this list but were published just before your time limit - one of which I consider to be one of the most important books written on magic.

Brad Henderson

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results