Your opinions of flourishing?

Sep 30, 2007
What are your opinions on flourishing? I don't look down on it, but as a magician I look at it as something that is pointless to learn. Like I said I am not scrutinizing anyone that does it, just as a magician I feel that it is a waste of time to learn. I mean either you do xm or you do magic. I hate it when I see people combining them both to an audience. For example, there was a video clip of someone doing all of these xm cuts and fans and throwing the cards and catchinig them. And after that they went and did an effect ( I hate the word trick, it makes what I do sound kiddie ). Now after the audience sees all of those fancy moves and then the effect, the first thing they are going to assume is " well he handles those cards good. I know that all he did was sleight of hand." Which granit most ppl understand that magic is sleight of hand. But when you are a good enough magician you can make ppl actually wonder if what you did was real. But like I said when you show them that you can do all of those fancy moves they arent going to be as impressed with the effect, just impressed by the sleight of hand. I feel either someone should focus on one of the two arts; either flourishing, or magic, and not both. Like I said though this is just my opinion and I am not putting down anyone that feels different than me. What are your opinion's?

Sep 8, 2007
Carmichael,CA
I think flourishing is great... for self entertainment thats kinda why i do flourishes b ecause i dont always have someone to show tricks to or a book to learn new tricks from... Some stuff like false cuts and shuffles can be useful for trick when your audience insists you cut or shuffle the deck.

Sep 30, 2007
I think flourishing is great... for self entertainment thats kinda why i do flourishes b ecause i dont always have someone to show tricks to or a book to learn new tricks from... Some stuff like false cuts and shuffles can be useful for trick when your audience insists you cut or shuffle the deck.

I understand a magician using false cuts and shuffles but I mean like all of the fancy cuts and fans and ect. I would rather work on my pass, dl, color changes, ect but I mean everyone is different. If you like it then keep it up!! any more?

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Personally...I love the way that most of the flourishes look, but when it comes to incorperating it with magic you must be tasteful about it. Basically, even if I could flourish to my hearts content like Dan and Dave, I don't think I'd do it much during a performance. I tend to use card spins and whatnot as distraction utilities.

Shane K.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
The fact that they know your a magician anyway they will think " he really must handle those cards good " Flourishes can back that up :)

Flourishes are fun and people like watching flourishes..just beecause they look cool and flashy. Like the body of a vehicle.

Sep 1, 2007
Thank you moderator fraud. Oh no...wait...

In my mind there is a line between "XCM" and flourishing. I will use basic fans and "fancy" false cuts right alongside my magic. The simple reason is that I am paid to entertain and people find watching this kind of thing entertaining! However, it is all very casual and almost thoughtless when not integral to an effect. So yes, the audience becomes aware that I have a high degree of skill handling a deck of cards. However, this serves as a contrast to the magic that happens, because the magic really isn't flourishy; the two can complement each other.

However, once you cross the line into XCM...whereever that line may be...I think that it becomes more difficult to present it alongside magic, simply because the two are so very different.

Aug 31, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
i do like flourishes but mainly just false cuts to use is my magic normally while saying ' just a simple cut' to reveal a card.

i went to a new magic club yesterday and i was doing some flourishes a senior member told me its useless no-one is interested the only people who will be interested are other magicians and possibly younger people. Even if they are they will still ask you to show them a trick

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
I agree to some extent but thats why besides little fans and springs I try and keep XCM away from magic effects. Its a different genre to me, mixing magic and XCM might be more like mixing country and screamo. It just doesn't mix well, a couple reasons for that would be the ones you stated above, much of magic with cards, coins, sponge balls have a lot to do with sleight of hand. At the same time you can change things up mix sleight of hand with visual hard hitting gimmicked effects. That way theres no way they can blame it on sleight of hand, and it won't matter if you can do jackson 5, pandora or any other amazing flourish

I have to agree about using florishing and magic togeather is not a good thing. I am not a big fan of florishing but am impressed by those that do it well. I see way to many videos of people that think they can do it but then again the same goes for the magic videos.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Hey if it works with your magic, all the power to you!
I'm sure guys like Dan and Dave and many others do just fine with it!

As for me, I like to do flourishes for me. I only do a few that are fun for me.
I get more oohs and aahs from springing the cards than anything else.

I like to keep my magic simple and direct. People can't follow complex flourishes, they are too fast. That and showing off just becomes all about you, when it should be all about the spectator.

I have to say, I have learned a lot from Eugene Burger's approach to magic. Very simple. Very strong.

Jusitn

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
i dont aquire the patience to learn and practise constantly to become flawless in flourishes
but ive learned some visual impressive, yet easy to handle false flourish cuts that ive used in my magic, nothing to advanced, but enough to insitll in their mind that the deck is shuffled

I really agree with Lee Asher's (as cited by Aaron Fisher) ideals with flourishes and magic. I don't think its very ethical to post it here without permission to do so, but if check it out in "The Paper Engine" by Aaron Fisher on page 32, at the end of the Commentary for the popover.

J.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results