YouTube magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2017
Ok... So some time ago, I used to post about exposure. I was thought to be a troll. And I had to stop. Just to make it clear, this post is NOT ABOUT EXPOSURE... I have a different question here. It concerns, magic tutorials and magic on You Tube in general.

First of all, I VERY rarely (ALMOST NEVER) watch YouTube magic tutorials. Just to put it out there. However the question I may ask is why are so many people against it?

When I asked this question before I received two main answers: One problem that people saw, was disrespect to the originator/exposure for views... Two, the quality of teaching was bad.

BUT... all of that aside, there are some ethical, good teachers out there (Jay Sankey, Chris Ramsay etc)... On a side note, I watch Ramsay all the time, and as of yet have NEVER seen his tutorial from beginning to end, so don't tell me I am justifying it...

What I am trying to ask, if there were ethical, good teachers on YouTube, which are rare, but exist... Why would it be bad?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Ultimately, this is about exposure. Anyone who teaches magic on YouTube is exposing secrets for non-magicians to see.

You listed the reasons we gave you the last time you asked about YouTube exposure: 1) the teaching is bad; 2) people often are not teaching so other can learn but to expose magic for views (much like the Masked Magician); 3) it is disrespectful to the creators of the magic. I'll add two more: 4) it perpetuates the idea that the secret is the most important part of magic and 5) it hurts some performers because people have either seen how it is done on YouTube, can look up how it is done or simply try to guess the method based on their basic knowledge that they got from YouTube.

I think your question really is whether there are any circumstances where exposure is acceptable? Exposure is showing a non-magician how it is done. Teaching is showing a magician how it is done. When you post on YouTube you have no way to figure out who you are exposing magic to - someone who intends to perform or someone who just wants to know how it is done. There is a much better chance that someone who buys a book or a video is a magician. I doubt people value magic secrets so much that they will pay to learn a secret if they don't intend to perform magic.

I'm closing this thread because the topic is close to your prior threads. If you want to continue the discussion and ask about Sankey and Ramsay, you can post in those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results