Youtube: Saying where you bought it

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Hey guys

I was on youtube, and I wanted to see some performances of Distortion. I noticed after all the performances, you said where you can buy it.
I don't think this is a good idea because youtube is full of kids that buy tricks to only reveal them on youtube. So I was hoping whoever has a video of something from T11, can you please not write where you bought it in the title or in a tag or the video itself. Just write the name of the trick and we'll be sure to check out your performance, write comments, and rate it. Thanks.

Dan

Sep 2, 2007
Hey guys

I was on youtube, and I wanted to see some performances of Distortion. I noticed after all the performances, you said where you can buy it.
I don't think this is a good idea because youtube is full of kids that buy tricks to only reveal them on youtube. So I was hoping whoever has a video of something from T11, can you please not write where you bought it in the title or in a tag or the video itself. Just write the name of the trick and we'll be sure to check out your performance, write comments, and rate it. Thanks.

Dan

Those who want to reveal a trick will have to buy the effect, which they probably will not do. Those who do reveal an effect usually do not buy it just to reveal the effect, as they as want the effect for themselves, especially those for theory11, most of which require a gimmick for an effect to work.

In regards to not naming the place that the effect can be bought, it's not going to help greatly, as one can just google "Distortion trick" or "Distortion Wayne Houchin" and the theory11 site will show up.

Further, someone who stumbles upon theory11, because a person on youtube listed it as the site where he bought the effect, may be the next person to sell an effect here.

Cheers,
JTM

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Those who want to reveal a trick will have to buy the effect, which they probably will not do. Those who do reveal an effect usually do not buy it just to reveal the effect, as they as want the effect for themselves, especially those for theory11, most of which require a gimmick for an effect to work.

In regards to not naming the place that the effect can be bought, it's not going to help greatly, as one can just google "Distortion trick" or "Distortion Wayne Houchin" and the theory11 site will show up.

Further, someone who stumbles upon theory11, because a person on youtube listed it as the site where he bought the effect, may be the next person to sell an effect here.

Cheers,
JTM

Trust me, I have seen people buy an effect just to reveal it. It increases their popularity on youtube or something. These people are not what you and I call magicians.

Though you make a good point on your second statment. But I like TPA's idea of putting a fake name down, and putting the real name of the trick in the tags box.(but not the website)
Then the viewer will not know the name of the real trick and therefore can't search it.

Your third point is good, but I know for a fact that you didn't come up with this for yourself because I have defianetly heard that before from one of the people that work here. Try to be original. But otherwise still a great point.

I'm just trying to make sure that these secrets don't get out. I hate when people find out my tricks by searching youtube, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I agree with alot of things said here, and here is my opinion.

Alot of people (believe it or not) DO buy effects just to reveal them, because they want more viewers, more subscribers, etc. And I think I read or heard somewhere on T11 that it's supposed to be ......."hush hush" (for lack of a better word). Going around telling people would defeat the purpose of a "hush hush" website. And I also think changing the name of the video would be a good idea too. Just my two cents.

Aug 31, 2007

Cheers,
JTM

Do you really believe that some complete newbie to the world of magic, who happens to stumble upon secrets, will actually contribute something useful? The odds of that happening are astronomically low. People do buy stuff just to reveal it. I believe if you're posting a video of magic on youtube, you shouldn't put the name of the effect and have the comments disabled. It's a small price to pay if it makes it that much more difficult for exposers.

Then again, most of the teens that post magic on youtube are desperate for attention and the only thing that matters to them is how many subscribers or views they have on their video. Exposing is one of those ways they try to get more views.

Sep 2, 2007
Your third point is good, but I know for a fact that you didn't come up with this for yourself because I have defianetly heard that before from one of the people that work here.

I'm believe your referring to jonraiker who said, "Think about how much different magic would be right now if Wayne (Houchin) or Danny (Garcia) never stumbled upon it as kids? The person who buys that Guardian deck could decide to come here, learn magic, and later become your favorite creator." Although, my point had variant difference from his, there are apparent similarities, and thus will give him credit for the quote, which took me a while to find, and its influence upon me.

Try to be original.

Just like most of today's magic is based upon the foundation that was laid by the magic of the past, most of my beliefs, thoughts, ideas are based upon the inspiration laid by others -- however, this does not necessarily constitute plagiarism, as we all are influenced by something or someone.

But I like TPA's idea of putting a fake name down, and putting the real name of the trick in the tags box.(but not the website)
Then the viewer will not know the name of the real trick and therefore can't search it.

But, lets say I want to see a trick called Trinity; there would be no possible way for me to see the effect on youtube, as it would be under a false name, thereby eliminating one of the reasons for posting a video.

I'm just trying to make sure that these secrets don't get out. I hate when people find out my tricks by searching youtube, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm all for preventing exposure, for ethical/moral and personal reasons. I believe that viewing an exposed effect on youtube, as a way to learn an effect, is tantamount to downloading songs illegally. In both cases, the artist is not benifiting from the creation of their art, whether magic or music, nor are they receiving the deserved recognition. Further, it infuriates me that I pay $30 for an effect, only to see it revealed on youtube for free. Moreover, I am also not pleased that it is possible for my audience for whom I perform magic to just look up my entire routine, whenever they want, and thereby have it revealed. Therefore, I am for preventing exposure on youtube or anywhere, but practically.

And I think I read or heard somewhere on T11 that it's supposed to be ......."hush hush" (for lack of a better word). Going around telling people would defeat the purpose of a "hush hush" website.

Theory11 is a business, and, like all businesses, its survival depends on profit. Ergo, it being a "hush hush" website could prevent it from receiving the aggregate number of customers, neccessary for its continuance. Further, I would not tell laymen about the website, but I would not think twice about recommending this site to fellow magicians, as word of mouth advertising can only lead to better productivity, better products, and a better site, as it is something that all businesses, such as theory11, rely upon.

Do you really believe that some complete newbie to the world of magic, who happens to stumble
upon secrets, will actually contribute something useful? The odds of that happening are astronomically low.

They might not contribute an effect, but they can contribute to magic, by sharing their knowledge of magic, by performing for others, by becoming part of this community, etc.

Cheers,
JTM

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
i made a vid of it i tittled it unexpected and i didnt right were i bought it or anything like that i always do that

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Then again, most of the teens that post magic on youtube are desperate for attention and the only thing that matters to them is how many subscribers or views they have on their video. Exposing is one of those ways they try to get more views.

I am 17 years old and I put magic tricks on youtube for my friends to watch some tricks that I've been working on. None of my tricks are revealed. I don't like being stereotyped.

But, lets say I want to see a trick called Trinity; there would be no possible way for me to see the effect on youtube, as it would be under a false name, thereby eliminating one of the reasons for posting a video.

Cheers,
JTM

That's why I said put the real name of the trick in one of the tags followed by many more names by seperating them with spaces. This way we can type in the name of the trick and the video will show up, but the title will be something else.

The thing about Youtube exposure is that not only are they missing out on the feeling of working hard to get a trick perfect that you spent real money on (thus being more proud) but they are also missing out on all the extra tips/performance help on the actual DVD or Instructors notes, etc.

Aug 31, 2007
I am 17 years old and I put magic tricks on youtube for my friends to watch some tricks that I've been working on. None of my tricks are revealed. I don't like being stereotyped.

That's why I said put the real name of the trick in one of the tags followed by many more names by seperating them with spaces. This way we can type in the name of the trick and the video will show up, but the title will be something else.

Perhaps you break the mold. Perhaps you might think it's a stereotype, but that doesn't make it any less true. MOST of the people that put performances on youtube do it for attention. You just do it to a lesser extent for attention from a smaller crowd (your friends).

Then, there are also the people who feel that their performances don't get them enough attention because obviously lots of magicians put their performances on youtube. So how to you one-up a magician to get more attention? You show how it's done. There is always a cycle of wanting more attention and outdoing others.

Obviously I feel very strongly about youtube and the proliferation of amateurs. It can't be stopped, but I don't think it's a right path for magic. You can always show your friends in real life where magic is much more personal instead of competing for "internet pats on the back" from random people you don't know. Just my 2 cents.

Aug 31, 2007
It's already happening...

Badly performed "Panic"s, "Distortion"s and whatnot on Youtube...

Theory 11, please don't disappoint me and allow this to continue happening.

- harapan. magic!

Sep 1, 2007
yea this not a good idea thats like saying to a spectator "ok this is called stigmata which i learned at ellusionst".

Sep 2, 2007
Guys, I know exposure is wrong. but we shouldn't really stop iot. 1.: I used to ber an exposure...ist. 2.: I have two pro friends that are/used to be exposureists. 3. Without exposure, we wouldn't have Cyril (Who relied on exposure because he diodn't have the money to buy it, then at the age of 16 he was a busker, doing it to EAT)

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Guys, I know exposure is wrong. but we shouldn't really stop iot. 1.: I used to ber an exposure...ist. 2.: I have two pro friends that are/used to be exposureists. 3. Without exposure, we wouldn't have Cyril (Who relied on exposure because he diodn't have the money to buy it, then at the age of 16 he was a busker, doing it to EAT)

Why is it their right to know magic tricks, at our exspence? Plus there would be no point on revealing anything on this site because they still can't perform it anyway because it uses a gimmick that they can't obtain unless purchased cheap from a magic shop, which they would need money for, so it really wouldn't make any sence. It would really just be for hecklers that would say I know how you did that, I saw it on youtube. Revealing this stuff would only piss us off.

Aug 31, 2007
Well, gimmicked stuff is wrong, but otherwise... not AS wrong/

Make up your mind on where you stand on ETHICS. Exposure is exposure and it all hurts magic negatively for the most part. There are plenty of ways to learn magic without having to steal secrets and income from other magicians.

I know killing someone is wrong, but shooting someone is not as wrong.

Sep 2, 2007
I just forgot to say stuff about gimmicks. revealiong for the sake of revealing is horrid. But for me, an Ex-exposist, I know for a fact that exposoing stuff thats slieght of hand is NOT as wrong as exposing a complicated gimmick.

Sep 17, 2007
i don't put any video's on youtube i preform on the streets because i see the video coments and there's always some1 that posts the name of the trick... then you just typ the trick +reveald and you have your explanesion ...
i bought stigmata preformed it (din't say the name) and 1week later a litle kid from here nows how to do it because he looked it up on youtube:mad::mad::mad:

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results