youtube = youtubegician

Are these youtubegicians helping magic or helping destroy magic/card tricks?

• They are helping magic alot because it will push magicians to make better card tricks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
C

clarrus

What do you guys think about youtube and independant performers youtubegicians?? By independant performers, i'm talking about people who film it in their house and stuff. I personally don't like them too much because i'm afraid someone will buy "Witness" and post it up in a way that people can figure it out too easily.

Also what's the point??? The best part of doing a trick is to see the audiences reactions; not reading some lil "good job" note that someone put up.

Another thing, they give away too many secrets. I hate that. It's all like little kids who don't know how to keep a secret. They are so annoying. What do you guys think???

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 9, 2007
To be honest, I don't think they're having ANY effect.

They either do well and people check it out and get interested
or
Suck and expose a trick

but in retrospect, 135 people who see it on youtube is a pretty insignificant amount of people for it to bug/excite me.

Oct 31, 2007
Australia
So exposure to 100 people isn't so bad? Ever since I entered the magic community, exposure has been drilled into me as the single most heinous thing someone can do.

Make up your damn minds

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
but in retrospect, 135 people who see it on youtube is a pretty insignificant amount of people for it to bug/excite me.

not a 135 people, thousands of people watch them, I saw a video of (this is not magic but it is copyrighted) a tutorial of the Werm and it was seen by like 8,000 people, a nd I saw an exposure of mercury Aces (but thats such a dumb trick you don't even need a tutorial, but still) and it had about 4000, views, and I saw a videos of a bunch of good color changes (erdnase, snap change, ego change, etc.) and they all had more than 10,000 views on all of them:(

Sep 9, 2007
obviously, i was using hyperbole, but of those 8,000 at least a quarter are people who watched it at least twice which brings us to 6,000. Of the 6,000, I'd say at least half are people who are into magic like us (or who soon will be). Of the 3,000 that aren't, i'd say half won't even catch the mistake.

so even though we probably get close to 2000 people who get the trick spoiled, even if it were 8000, divide that by 301,000,000 (yes, three hundred and one MILLION) and that's the percent of people who have had the trick spoiled. even if they tell 10 friends, who tell 10 friends that's 880,000 people, which is 0.002 % of the US population.

in that perspective, does it really matter?

Oct 31, 2007
obviously, i was using hyperbole, but of those 8,000 at least a quarter are people who watched it at least twice which brings us to 6,000. Of the 6,000, I'd say at least half are people who are into magic like us (or who soon will be). Of the 3,000 that aren't, i'd say half won't even catch the mistake.

so even though we probably get close to 2000 people who get the trick spoiled, even if it were 8000, divide that by 301,000,000 (yes, three hundred and one MILLION) and that's the percent of people who have had the trick spoiled. even if they tell 10 friends, who tell 10 friends that's 880,000 people, which is 0.002 % of the US population.

Exposure is exposure. No matter if it is one, or a billion.
The fact that people use YouTube (YT)as a way to express their magic, or to show the community what they can / cannot do is great. The not-so-great part is that when you have such a public resource such as YT for people who just want to expose magic, they are getting exactly what they want. Either it is free lessons, or free exposure for an effect. As I have said on a few other threads, T11's best resource so far is the media section. While I don't think too many people are coming here or on E to gain free access to effects, I think that having a section where you can show others in your community your progress is a good tool.
However, if you are not as experienced as you should be for something you are video taping, you shouldn't be submiting. You should use that tape to see where you are lacking. Most kids will put the video up on the web for confidence builders, but in all reality, they should be reviewing it to see where their holes are.

When the community is as big as it is now, you really have an unlimited number of resources to use before you throw something up on the net. I am sure if you asked anyone with alot of experience with the products here or on any other site, you could ask them to review it and give you feedback. Unfortunately, exposure is going to happen, and we are going to just have to deal with it.

Sep 1, 2007
slights are magical when performed live in person...
If magicians like to express their art, I believe posting perfs here is the best place!. This is especially designed for that matter. Youtube's audience is too broad this includes potential people you could perform to and possible F'd Hecklers. Theory 11 is the "underground" magic epicenter and as J.Bayme have said, "Post your performance online and get instant feedback (critical responses) from around the world."
So if anyone you know within our magic community who has purchased "magical" products whether from E, penguin especially from T11, who wants to video themselves performing, encourage them to post it here. The secret will be maintained(hopefully) in this "underground" magic epicenter.
So how about those people who are so called magicians, dont know anything about theory 11, who are constantly posting they're crap performance on youtube? What can we do about it?
Hopefully youtube's management staff will be enlightened with the ethics delete these so-called "crap" magicians and stop this "youtubegician" trend.

*if i had super powers id turn all those ppl into playing cards..that way i can flourish some senses into them*(",)
--if not hack...their accounts...? (^.^)

Oct 21, 2007
bleh...come on now, it's going to do nothing to the magic community. There are so many things that are exposed, I have yet to here someone when going face to face with them that they know how it's done. There is soemthing called seeing and forgetting which is usually the case. Usually the people that expose on that website are children or young teens. Also the people that want to learn from it are usually children to young teens. Magicians are NOT going to die off because of a website with little children exposing methods.

You would almost think 2 card monte should be known worldwide because of exposure, yet it isn't. In that case, it will be rare that you even come across someone that knows how to do it. The entire world filled with billions and billions of people walking around, I highly doubt that they all know how it's done, I highly doubt that even 10% out of the billions and billions of people worldwide will ever know how them tricks are done.

Some of you people are thinking to far. In reality, I highly doubt anything is really going to be done about exposure. I highly doubt 10% of everyone in the world will know about all these tricks. Just relaxe, don't let your minds get ahead of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no! 10,000 views?! That only leaves you 5,999,989,999 more possible spetators. Exposure is "against the rules of magic" but who cares, anyone that isn't a magician that looks up these tricks would be a heckler anyway regardless. Anyone that looks up magic tricks is either interested in magic, or someone that has to know all the secrets, either way these are not the kind of people you perform for anyway. I mean Penn and Teller exposed the sacred "Cups and Balls" routine a number of times, The Masked Magician revealed a whole number of highly regarded magic effects, has the magic world collapsed? No. It's grown! YouTube provides access to magicians that can't afford to buy thier way in, or simply think that having to buy your way into magic is an elitist and greedy procedure. You can borrow magic books from a library, that's free magic, is that exposure? Are you going to go to all the librarys in your area and ask them to remove the books? Are you going to ban your grandpa or whoever it was that introduced you to magic for teaching you the coin from the ear trick? Stop crying over exposure, it's stupid, go practice, or better yet think up something original so it can't be exposed!

Sep 1, 2007
Stop crying over exposure, it's stupid, go practice, or better yet think up something original so it can't be exposed!
Interesting..i neva thought about that side of the story.. thx for that!:)
Complaining wouldnt really solve anything and especially if try to stop "ignorant" people from exposing.. Practicing our art, performing it to people and having fun is more valuable and worthwhile.

Oct 31, 2007
Oh no! 10,000 views?! That only leaves you 5,999,989,999 more possible spetators. Exposure is "against the rules of magic" but who cares, anyone that isn't a magician that looks up these tricks would be a heckler anyway regardless. Anyone that looks up magic tricks is either interested in magic, or someone that has to know all the secrets, either way these are not the kind of people you perform for anyway. I mean Penn and Teller exposed the sacred "Cups and Balls" routine a number of times, The Masked Magician revealed a whole number of highly regarded magic effects, has the magic world collapsed? No. It's grown! YouTube provides access to magicians that can't afford to buy thier way in, or simply think that having to buy your way into magic is an elitist and greedy procedure. You can borrow magic books from a library, that's free magic, is that exposure? Are you going to go to all the librarys in your area and ask them to remove the books? Are you going to ban your grandpa or whoever it was that introduced you to magic for teaching you the coin from the ear trick? Stop crying over exposure, it's stupid, go practice, or better yet think up something original so it can't be exposed!

No, its not exposure if YOU go to the library, and read a book that was published with the intent of you learning that effect. Exposure is very important. How many of you guys will watch the preview videos for something, just to catch that little glimpse of how something is done? I know most of the people on here have, because it is a natural thing to do. You want to know, and if you can rewind and look at it over and over again, you would do it to find it. I don't blame you, but you simply shouldn't have the opportunity to do so.

If you don't purchase the trick, or get the trick from a published source, then guess what? YOU SHOULDN'T KNOW WHAT THE METHODS ARE. Simple as that. Exposure to one, is potentially exposure to all. Just don't post your 'half ass, i've only been practicing for 4 hours" handling of effects online. Practice, ask questions to others in the community who are in the same boat as you, do it infront of a mirror. When you are bulletproof, go online. I just wish everyone would do it that way, instead of "I GOT SINFUL, LOOK AT ME DOING IT 2 HRS AFTER RELEASE!!!"

YouTube has viewer from around the world not just the USA so the percent is even smaller. Plus a person has to spend the time to search for and watch the video so they likely have at least an interest in magic. I agree that the effort that they are putting into gaining the knowledge is much less than if they were to go to a library and check out a magic book or buy a magic DVD but at least they are showing an interest and putting in some effort to learn. So many of them may be brought into the world of magic through YouTube.

So even though I am again fools posting magic exposure videos on the internet I do not think it hurts the art of magic that much if at all. It must hurt sales of newer one trick magic DVD's to some extent, maybe a few percent, which is unfair to creators but does not hurt magic since they are still going to make more DVD's. And one other point is that when a laymen learns how a trick is done they generally will not remember it for more than a few months. Sometimes I do the exact same magic tricks for people that I see like once a year and they are amazed by it and think I just learned a new trick. They do not remember this stuff like we do.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results